Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Newton Physics

I was experimenting with the Newton Physics in v13 Alpha and found that it is working much better than before. In the attached movie clip you can see several oddly shaped objects falling on top of each other. The lighting is done with Ambient Occlusion and took 33 minutes to render.

To set up a sequence like this make any object like a ball and throw it into the choreography. Next you are going to have to set which objects will be used in the simulation. To do this click an object you want to use in the simulation. Go to Plug-in Properties, then Newton Dynamics, and turn Use in Simulation to On. Then you are going to set whether it is a static object or a dynamic object. Do this for every object. Remember that the ground needs to be in the simulation or else everything will fall through it. Once you've got everything into position right click on the Choreography and go to Plug-ins and Simulate Newton Physics.

The most important thing to know about Newton Physics is that the default center of gravity is at the origin. If you moved the object away from the origin you'd find that you get some very odd physics when you simulate your sequence. Another thing that you want to do is make sure that your normals are pointed outward so that collision detection doesn't mess up during simulations.

Fall.mov

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good guys ...great samples!

The LAST Newton was quite good at collision-detection too. I think you are thinking of the old 'hash' dynamics...we've come a long way in a short time it seems.

I can't wait to get my hands on V12/13 to see if the hair collision-detection has improved over V11's...anyone know?

Could anyone do a quick Newton Physics test for me?

Take the holed cylinder and the long rectangular cube, and put both of them in a choreography, and make the cylinder a dynamic object, and the rectagular cube a static object, then calculate the Newton physics.

I have had no luck with trying to get holed-cylinders to calculate correctly. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Newton_Model_Test.zip

• 2 months later...

I couldn't get the cylinder to work either. Here's a project I'm trying to do, just to get a grasp of how Newton Physics works. I'm having serious problems with it. I made it in 13.0 Beta 1. Here's the project file with the simulation calculated. What's wrong with how I set it up?

-Zev

newton_test.prj.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • Developer

@iGeek

Time ago , but better late than never ...

The problem in your project is, that the rootbone for the cube and sphere is moved . The rootbone is the rotationcenter in A:M. I have correctet this in the attached projectfile. I recommend also to use "Dynamic Object" as objecttype for the sphere , instead of "Static with Action"

@Matt

There is a similar problem with your holed cylinder , the model is not centered at 0,0,0 .

It where good , when you can provide a projectfile , where I can see , in which case the simulation failed .

newton_test.zip

• 1 month later...

dose anyone have a project file that works on v12?

sure do.

here's the Newton needle project I posted a while back.

Newton Needles Project

(note: It should be ready for calculation so you can play with it all ya want, its got a slightly better result set than the movie I posted a while ago)

And A PDF tutorial i Wrote a while ago (that I need to update slightly as soon as I get v13)

NewtonTutorial.PDF