Hash, Inc. Forums

Inverse bone orientation

Eric2575

Say I have three bones next to each other in a vertical arrangement. The center bone is the control bone. The outside bones have constraints of "orient like" with target center bone.

Now, as you change the orientation of the center bone, the outside bones will follow. Swing center bone left, both outside bones swing left. Swing right, etc. How can I get one of the outside bones to orient inversely to the center bone? So when I swing the center bone left, one of the outside bones will swing left, while the other outside bone swings right?

It depends on what you mean by "inversely."

You say you want one of the outside bones to swing right when the center bone swings left.

What about when the center bone swings forward? Do you want that outside bone to swing backwards?

In other words, are you trying to completely invert the orientation, or just the left-right symmetry?

In other words, are you trying to completely invert the orientation, or just the left-right symmetry?

I believe he wants the bones to mirror one another.

It's exactly like the other example I gave you where you set the rotation scale to a negative number. Just orient the bone so the rotation of the bone is against the axis you want. Not the length.

Here's an example.

Chris:

on the first example you gave me, the struts roll like they are supposed to, but they don't orient inversely. The roll like have the "roll scale"setting that I can set to -100 to inverse, but the orient like doesn't seem to have any setting to give a inverse result? Would you modify the file to have both the roll and orient working concurrently. I've looked at this long enough to figure it out once I have a working example.

Thanks

Ok, I got the landing struts to retract and rotate at the same time, but now I want them to also tilt forward as they come down. In essence, I need them to fold down from the wing (rotate Z axis), rotate the strut itself (both accomplished) and now also tilt forward (rotate X axis). Since I've already used orient like and roll like, how can I constrain the struts to also tilt forward?

• Hash Fellow

I'm sure there's a rigging solution , but you can always make a pose slider to control any set of bones in any arbitrary motion. Set your gear to their extended positions at 0% and set them to their retracted positions at 100%

And you can set any inbetween in between the two..