Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Flood final

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks really nice! I especially like the way the rocks splash back down. The water looks really like water before the flood too... and looks like raging water when it comes.

My only critique is the last rock falls a bit slow... Otherwise EXCELLENT work!

I so agree with the slow movement of the rocks. Either they should be faster or pretend they are huge and they shoot up really high. There are other issues but none so prevelant as the rocks. I had also put in some sprites on the fore part of the churn but they don't really show up.

How did you achieve this effect?

I had mentioned this in the wip form about the main flood water. I ended up rigging the water model and cp weighting it and then snaking and contorting it through the canyon. It's churn movement is the result of changing the translate values of a turbulence material (with displacement percentage applied) in the choreography over time. The dam is in two parts and I exploded each with Steffens newton plugin. You almost don't even see it exploding. As Dan had said, the rocks should more or less roll a bit but this is very much highly embellished for it purposes (I was once with my sister on a hike when it started to rain and she had stories to tell of a large wall of water coming down the canyon. I was there. It was no more than 2 inches. It was cute.). The rocks were forced into the air through newton physics as well. I think my scaling was off. I mean it was definitely off. I did each newton simulation separately so as not to hang the computer. In other words blow up half of dam - turn that model off, kick up rocks - turn that model off etc.

Thankyou for all the kind remarks. I wasn't able to pull that fork out. ;)

Edit: Ah dang it's that one rock especially at the end that really puts everything out of place. I may just have to rerender those frames. (I keep rewatching it and now it's starting to haunt me)

You could use the same sprite emmiter to emmit the spalshes as the water hits the valley wall. From the animations I wouldn't think that the rocks would not have been jetted up in the air; rather, they would most likely want to be projected forward towards the camera like the wood debress.

I agree with Matt. The rocks would most likely not shoot up anywhere near that high. Water is a very POwERFUL force, true....however from what I undersstand about some physics and stuff (as an animator not a scientist) the rocks would most likely fly forward as if they were pushed agressively and then flow with the water for a VERY short while (at least visibly). Again I am not a scientist but I would most definitely not animate the boulders that "lightly". You may disagree but your disagreement doesn't make it right ;) .

Dimos

You may disagree but your disagreement doesn't make it right

There's absolutely no disagreement. This clip is just a small snippet in a much larger narrative that my father is doing. The order was to put something out that gave a point about what was generally going on but could have a certain amount of whimsey. Here is another clip that will be part of his narrative that is even more whimsical.

molly.mov