Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

spin kick

kuep

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he should hold his pose in the crouched position a few more frames and then really jerk out of it faster. This way you can show the weight of landing in the crouch and then maybe more of the spring it takes to launch his body.

The animation looks fluid and smooth. Something doen't feel quite right about it though, and I think it may be just how realistic the movement is. It seems strange to me that he intially sort of leaps forward, then goes into a crouch, then jumps into his kick. Its as if his forward momentum is arrested for a moment, then comes back on. I'm guess here, but from what I know about martial arts I think that a: you would take your eyes off your opponent and b: leaping into a crouch like that and ducking your head down would probably cause you to fall forward in an unintentional summer-sault. Are you basing the move on something that is real, or just making the move up in your head? It just seems like the physics are weird, but that's just me, it might be fine.

Here's what I noticed:

1. When Greenguy crouches before his jump, he shouldn't bend over like that. It looks like you were basing the motion off Jeff Lew's drop-from-the-ceiling move, but since he didn't drop from the ceiling here, he doesn't have a lot of vertical inertia that his torso needs to absorb. In real life, you'd have to keep your torso pointed in the direction that you were planning to jump. It can rock forward a little, to absorb his horizontal inertia, but most of the movement should come from the legs.

2. The kick comes too late. By that point, Greenguy is already starting to fall back to earth--in real life this kick wouldn't be as powerful as one that connected during the upwards part of the jump. Either speed up the initial jump launch so you can sustain a higher jump arc, or make Greenguy kick sooner.

Hey, I remember this move (or something similar) in my Tae Kwon Do class I took many many moons ago.

First, as he crouches his right hand passes thru his right leg :blink:

The jump & turn is actuated by the twist of the upper body first which acts as a wind up, and then as he jumps in the air the lower body twists to 'unwind' & the leg comes out to kick in the end. So, he should trun his upper body to the right immediately as he gets up from his crouching position while his lower body continues with the jump.

That's my take anyway :rolleyes:

thanks for the input. I really slapped the spin kick move together because I didnt have any real reference to work off of. It needs a lot of work. I will take you suggestions and see if i can apply them.

Combat Kick Techniques, by David Mitchell, Copyright 1996 Leopard Books, ISBN 0-7529-0214-8

It's a good reference - has *lots* of pictures to use as keyframe reference ...