Hash, Inc. Forums

Welcome New Users

Rodney

Hello all at AM, i have been away for a while due to school, sports etc plus had pc reformatted.....lol

But i am back to start TaoAM!! and hopefully finish it.

PS: anybody want to add me on msn thats cool, as im so rubbish at this program!! :D

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mr. Rodney

I'm sorry, I don't have any good project to post, because I just got the A:M software 2 weeks ago and right now I'm learning, but I still don't know how to add cartoon in the digital picture yet, like other person did, its kind hard, I keep trying but still can't get to work sad :( ......Hope........... Your guys so kool can make cartoon walk and talk put together like backg, create a movie.... Thank you :(

Pook

• Admin

(I'm having deja vu like I've answered these posts before)

Nathe,

Great to have you back.

You don't have to always be hanging around the forum but it should always be a great place to come back to. Hope you always feel welcome here.

Pook,

There are several of us that love the 'cartoon' look around here so you among friends.

Together we'll discover the best way to render our 'toons'.

Learning can be frustrating but... ah... what success feels like when finally achieved. :)

Hang in there!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings everyone,

My name is Jeremy Frasier. I am a graphic designer and immersive media developer in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. Although I purchased my copy of AM last year. This is the first time I have had to play with it. I was impressed with the gallerys and the photo realism that this package has to offer.

I have done some animation in the past, including a animated sequence for the US Navy that I finished in 3D Studio Max. I have to say that I have become prejudice when it comes to 3D studio over all the other programs ( ie: rhino, Maya etc) and the only other program that I have used is Poser.

Although Poser has taken great leaps, I have to say that your program is fantastic. I look forward to learning all I can, and have ordered your DVD packages to learn from the pros on how to use this software to the fullest. I am sort of under the gun, I recently was contracted to do an animated commercial spot for a local club, and will be relying a great deal on your input in the coming days.

I just wanted to introduce myself since I am looking forward to becoming a part of this community.

Thanks again to the Hash guys for making this software. 8)

J Frasier

Welcome to the community Jeremy. This is indeed a great package. I was trained in 3D Max while in school and have used Maya and when I picked up this software I had a little of a learning curve cause I kept thinking in polygons instead of splines, but you get over that quick. Post your problems or updates and people will comment and help you out. Again welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi People

my name is Matt and im a new user to A:M and this forum.

im 15 years old and im in grade 10.

I recently got bored of the junky 2D animation programs that we learn how to use at school. So i got this animation master program and started playing with it and i made a model and messed around with it, and i need some help. heh heh

i hope i can get the help i need here

here is a sample of my model if you want to see it :lol:

http://www.freewebs.com/ticaepics/Flame%20Big.bmp

yes it dose need work. the hands need redoing, i dont know how to make eyes or a mouth yet so ill put that in later

i hope i can learn all that here. or be recomended to a place

Welcome to the club Matt. Your model is not bad for your first try at 3d. I would suggest that you sit down and do the tutorials in the manual though. It will teach animation and how to model. There's always the A:M Resource Matrix as well. It has everything you need, from modeling to effects. You can check out the site here:

http://www.lowrestv.com/arm/

Hope that helps and once again welcome to the club

Hello everyone,

I'm a new user to AM. 3D animation made an impression on me since I first saw the Disney movie Tron. Since then, I've had no formal training in art or animation... I enjoy being a self-taught amateur in the truest sense of the word. Though making money at it would be nice too. :P

So far, it has been a joy discovering the wondrous power that Animation Master can provide to my fingertips. Thank you, Hash Team!

Tai

Hi everyone,

My name is Bruce Winn and I'm busily working my way through The Art of Animation Master. I'm an editor during the day, and AM gives me an escape after work. I can't say I have a knack for it, but I can say I have fun with it. I'm really impressed with how helpful everyone here is. These forums are one of the big plusses of AM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I originally picked up AM back with V8.5 after seeing a demo at COMDEX. Unfortunately, my video card didn't play very well with it. I picked it up again recently (friendlier computer) and began stalking *ahem* lurking in the forums. And after reading of V12, had to upgrade for the hair and cloth.

So far it has been real fun to play with and I still have a lot to learn.

Anyway, hello all... : )

hi There i am an 'old' noobie, more gray matter on The outside Than on The inside. (supposed To be just a joke). i inadvertantly stumbled into AM a couple of years ago at The SIGGRAPPH in San Diego. i had just given notice That i was leaving where i was living, my Truck got stolen 2 days later (no place to go no Truck) i got a settlement from The insurance company so i flew from Arizona To SIGGRAPPH and The ONLY piece of software i bought in San Diego was Animation Master.

i have 18 years doing architectural drafting/3d viz. i am primarily interesting in creating animations for medical surgical rooms and intensive hospital patients care. bldgs i can do but how do you combine 3dmax with AM or vice versa??????

pls let me know i will ask This in whatever is a more appropriate forum here

just upgraded To v12 Yeti, Trying To get my 12 year old interested in AM

Thanks

Randy

Hi Everyone. My name is Dennis and I am brand new to AM and 3D in general, but I am a Big Fan of any kind of animation. I have had AM v12 since March, but because of work and school I am just getting starting into it now and really enjoying it. I am finding it very easy to learn and I hope to be making a few of my own characters after I do the tutorials. I do have some questions about things here but I will find the appropriate forums for those. As for now, back to playing with AM.

Lots of fun my first day. I made it through exercise 4 on the first day. I would've made it further but I got sidetracked. (I make sure I do all the exercises 3 times - that way they will look the way they ought to). Had to upgrade my Ram, and I treated myself to a wireless mouse and keyboard.

The thing I need to learn how to do is the 2D stuff. I figure I'd got from a 3D model and use it for 2D with cel shading (another topic I need to find out about)

Hi, guys. Glad to be here.

I'm another of those people who have started with Poser (since version 1, I add) and have seen the power of AM demonstrated by other users. I have taken the plunge and ordered a second-hand copy of AM2004, and hope to upgrade to AM2006. Arts Council grants don't go far enough for Maya, I'm afraid.

I'll plod through the tutorials and look in here if my head threatens to implode with the effort.

Anyone who uses InVision board software is OK by me!

Hi everyone

I'm Leo, I'm from South Africa,, I have been a Maya user for the past 5 years, and have had AM for the last six months,, and have fallen in love with it,,, what an awesome package,,, no more polygons for me thanx,, :P

I write kids books and do the artwork for them in 3D,, am busy setting up to make an animated video series of my books, to be distributed on DVD,,

am also at the same time in the process of making a virtual band that will sing my music. (am a keep sax player) B)

Hey Leo, welcome to the club. My name is also Leo and I also have Duke in my name as well. I had to do a double take when I saw your username and real name. I was a Max user for about six years when I found out this program and havent looked back since. Good luck with your projects and hope to see your work posted.

Hey Leo

I saw your name the other day,, interesting.. nice to meet you.

I must be honest, I tried Max in the beginning and found it really hard to use,, just couldn't get into it, then I found Maya and thought I had died and gone to heaven,,,,,, boy was I wrong,,, AM, just rocks!!

I'm amazed everyday by it and what it can do,,, cant seem to find any place where it falls short of Maya,,,

and the simplicity of the operation,,, maybe its safe to say it now,,, I think this' is heaven..

I did post something I made the other day,, but hey,, I'll put it in here again for you to see,,

this is the bass Amplifier for the virtual band I'm making for the music video..

[attachmentid=19034][attachmentid=19035]

post-9079-1154325727_thumb.jpg

post-9079-1154325756_thumb.jpg

Greetings everyone,

My name is Jan and I am a software/web developer in the UK. I bought my copy of AM last year, unfortunately, this is the first time I have gotten a chance to play with it. It seems very impressive. Though I am new to AM, I have dabbled in the past (over 6 years ago) with 3D modelling and animation. And now, I want to get back into it, and actually bring to life some of the many ideas that i have running around in my head.

I am really looking forward to being a part of this community, and hope one day to be involved in a community project, creating a small impressive animated movie.

I ordered the upgrade today, as my old version of A:M2000 had stopped working on my old machine nearly 2 years ago, and doesn't like my new machine much at all. I've been going nuts without a creative outlet. So right now I'm a bit filled with anticipation on finding out what new surprises there are, and am anxious to start working with the program again and hope to become more active back here. Looks like Hash acknowledged the order today, and I made it an overnight, so hopefully I'll see it tomorrow or Saturday. One thing I want to do is get back to work on that guy in the avatar, he was the first model I created from scratch in A:M, and it amazed me that the toon renders of him looked so much like my concept sketches.

EDIT: Looks like it's going out as 2day delivery via FedEx and won't be here until Tuesday now.

I own Carrarra Studio 2, Cinema 4D 6, 3D Studio 4 (yes I know it's old), Truespace 3, and even Blender. (not to mention Poser 5, Bryce 4, Vistapro, etc...) AM trumps them all. it just makes more sense, is easier to grasp, and best of all is the cheapest option, even though Blender is free (and very complex). I've had AM for a few years, and I'm just now taking time to learn the software. Seriously wotrking through the tutorials. Thank you HASH, and thank you AM community! I've played around with 3d apps for several years now. I'm sold on AM!

I can't express enough how much you ought to invest in AM if you have not already. After seeing all the great stuff Pixar has done, i'm inspired to takle this wonderful software once, and for all!

Hello,

My name is Steven Ellinger, and I just bought a copy of Animation Master. I also have never posted anything on a forum before. I miraculusly figured out how to add the AVATAR. Yesterday, I went to the Chicago Comic convention hoping to buy some collectables, and I saw the Animation Master Booth. It made me think, wow, That's a great price for a package that can achive such professional looking results. I took a short walk around and ended up turning back around to ask more questions. The fact that the Hair tools were included was the biggest selling point. I graduated with a BFA in computer art from the Savannah College of Art and Design, and have used programs like Maya and Houdini. I left school, and now I have been working in a factory for the last 2 years. I haven't done much animation in that time and I want to get back to it. I spent most of today just going through the website, and I will probably spend tomorrow with the program. It will probably take me a while to get used to the program, but what I've seen on the site is amazing. I am excited to see what I can do with it.

I will do The tutorials in the book today and tomorrow. I am also very interested in Dynamics on characters.

I realize I've probably been rambling, so I'm going to stop now.

The Newbiest Newbie

Steve Ellinger

• Admin

It looks like we are falling behind on our 'Welcomes' and 'Welcome Backs'!

Another SIGGRAPH is over and that means yet another milestone has recently passed.

As we approach the end of year things are really going to really get going.

There are always lots of activities to get involved in the forum.

Lots of great things to learn along the way.

One word of advice... Don't lurk! Its detrimental to your artistic goals.

Meet people. Make friends.

Ask and answer questions.

Get involved.

Its great to see you all here in the forum.

You may not now it yet but you've definitely come to the right place. :)

Okay, I guess it's introduction time...

I've spent the last 25 years (yeah, I'm an old guy) engineering simulators nominally as a software engineer. Those of us who build simulators are, by nature, generalists. Over the years I've had experinece in just about every related field though most of my work was in graphics and video until I moved into mangement.

I saw A:M at Siggraph back in 2001 and again in 2002 and 2003. Did some lurking. Checked out the films - Hairy Monster is definitely my favorite. Decided I would bite the bullet and bought A:M at Siggraph this year (33% show discount helped). Had some nice conversations with Marshall Hash as well.

Two things spurred my decision. Well, okay, three things. One, my daughter decided to study digital graphics and animation is part of her course of study. Two, I want to start creating some media content for worship services. I've got live action covered with Avid Express Pro. I've got simple amimations covered with Flash and Swish. A:M fills in the 3d animation roll (also gonna be a 3d title generator). Of course reason three: 33% show discount!

I suppose I'll do the certification thing, not because I want the certificate, but just to keep me honest while I work through the tutorials.

• Admin
I suppose I'll do the certification thing, not because I want the certificate, but just to keep me honest while I work through the tutorials.

Hey now! Can he say that???

What if we can get you a 33% discount on certification!? :P

Seriously though, the certificate is just extra... the real reward is what you learn along the way.

Welcome to the A:M Community Mark! :)

Okay, I guess it's introduction time...

I've spent the last 25 years (yeah, I'm an old guy) engineering simulators nominally as a software engineer. Those of us who build simulators are, by nature, generalists. Over the years I've had experinece in just about every related field though most of my work was in graphics and video until I moved into mangement.

I saw A:M at Siggraph back in 2001 and again in 2002 and 2003. Did some lurking. Checked out the films - Hairy Monster is definitely my favorite. Decided I would bite the bullet and bought A:M at Siggraph this year (33% show discount helped). Had some nice conversations with Marshall Hash as well.

Two things spurred my decision. Well, okay, three things. One, my daughter decided to study digital graphics and animation is part of her course of study. Two, I want to start creating some media content for worship services. I've got live action covered with Avid Express Pro. I've got simple amimations covered with Flash and Swish. A:M fills in the 3d animation roll (also gonna be a 3d title generator). Of course reason three: 33% show discount!

Welcome!!

Engineers always bring an interesting element to the party!!

David

Hi, my name is Jim, and I've been Poser free for over a year now. :D

I purchased AM last year and haven't looked back. At that time a year ago I was actually on the verge of buying Carrara when I found someone's posting on Renderosity's AM forum of all things, where someone was raving about AM, and this started me on the AM path. It's ironic considering there's barely just a handful of posts in Renderosity's AM forum -- but even so, just that one person's post did much to convince me (and I wonder how many other new users too).

In these forums, I've posted here and there, but I thought I should re-introduce myself because I'm about to go through TAOAM -- because I want that certificate! Well, and also because the journey is the reward, and all that stuff... I did finally model and render an object for my avatar so there's hope for me yet.

I'm a software engineer going on 10 years, starting at Lotus Software which later was bought by IBM. I approach things like an engineer so I want to let loose that right brain hemisphere from time to time.

OK, on to TAOAM, and then Bootcamp!

-Jim

• Admin
I thought I should re-introduce myself because I'm about to go through TAOAM -- because I want that certificate! Well, and also because the journey is the reward, and all that stuff...

That was beautiful... 'chills up my spine'-like beautifully said. ;)

I echo the kudos to the A:M Renderosity group. I think I saw the posts you speak of.

Jin Kazaama, Darklimit... these talented folks and others have represented A:M well in the Renderosity forums.

Very solid kudos to them all.

Once the word gets out and the leap of faith into Animation:Master is made... its just a matter of time before the smiles start a'comin'! Mixed with the proper trajectory for the learning of the A:M toolset the rest is as they say... history.

We already know you here in the forum Jim.

You are already well on your way.

Just wait until next year!

You'll be able to look back again.

Just imagine the tales you'll be able to tell.

Spline on JPappas! :)

Hi, my name is Jim, and I've been Poser free for over a year now. :D

...I found someone's posting on Renderosity's AM forum...

Hi Jim!

My gosh, they still have one there? I tried it a few times but it always seemed dead, I thought they dissolved it. I was using Poser when I was without AM for 2 years, and I always hated trying to animate in it since it's so inferior to A:M for character, camera, light control as well as too many other things to mention. If only I could model people as good as theirs.

Hellow Guys and Gals :D

I'm fairly new to A:M and animation in general. I spent a summer at Sheridan College back in the late 80's and I am digging out some of the old stuff again.

I'm struggling thru the controls on A:M, but seem to be getting along ok. I'll soon be posting to the TAoM forum. I can't wait to get your feedback! ;)

Cheers!

Hi Henry and tcmdoc66!!! :)

WOW, Sheridan college :o

Oh and Henry I love your avatar, The Incredibles is one of the best movies ever! :D

Anyways, welcome to animation master. It's a blast and has a super duper great community. I can't wait to see some of your work!

Teresa

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all!

My name is Josep Blas and I'm from Chicago but live in Orange County, CA (but will be moving to San Francisco pretty soon!). I self-publish my comic-book "SpacePunks" and promote it in several conventions, I saw the booth for Hash this year at the Comic-Con and decided to buy A:M again. (bought it a few years ago, but never used it, never had computer strong enough to handle it...) but now I do!!! cannot wait to get into the program and be able to animate my characters in a 3D environment.

I found the book "The Animation:Master 2000 Handbook" in my collection and seems like a pretty good book... is it still good to go through this book and its exercises or is the program to advanced for it?

Thanks for your time, you guys have an amazing forum here!

Cheers!

Josep

Howdy folks.

My name is Al and have always been interested in film and animation.

I grew up in London, Ontario, Canada which is where I still live today with my wife, son and zany dog.

By trade, I am a computer programmer, but have always loved animation and special f/x in movies. When I was a young teen, I would make little cartoon flip books. As I got a bit older and was in the camera club in high school, I tried the traditional stop motion animation using G.I. Joes. For the past two years or so, I have been using Anim8or for modelling and animation. A co-worker introduced me to Jeff Lew's Killer Bean 2 video which is where I first learned about Animation Master. The demo and tutorials of the application looked pretty impressive, so I bought a used copy of version 12 off of eBay.

There are a few projects that I started in Anim8or, but do not think it would be capable of completing them properly. This is why I am trying A:M. I know I am a long way away from something like Killer Bean 2 or The Adventures of Briar Rose, but one day... maybe...

My Anim8or Gallery

Fan Film Project

Hi everyone,

My name is Stefan I’m new to AM but I’m not new to animation. First interest started as a child with self generated stickmen on flip pads. This sort of evolved to the present day as a creative and relaxing pastime. Fortunately my career involvement with computers and information technology has helped me.

My grand mother (now deceased and sadly missed) introduced me to stage school as a kid. I guess she wanted me to be another Fred Astaire. This has helped me indirectly as my acquired understanding of movement and motion can be applied to the animation process (I guess I know how to act).

Sadly I’m also a Paranormal Investigator but happily one that uses scientific methodology and common sense.

Well that’s enough about me for the moment!

Best wishes to you all,

Stefan B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

My Name's Mike Rhodes and I am yet another "re-animator", meaning I'm back to using A:M by choice. I was using Carrara, but it seems like it's going to be forever before they get some decent character animation tools and I don't like it that it was bought and what the new owners did (and that's an entire topic by itself). 'nuff said.

I have to say that Martin's comments, on another thread, not to give up on A:M struck a chord with me. I will hold Martin personally responsible for all the fun I'll be having! All the agony is obviously an user error and doesn't count :P

I'll be going through TAoAM, already up to excercise 4. This book is a great way to refresh one's memory of this awesome program. The shiny new certificate will look oh-so-nice next to my Plaque I got from Trinity college for a BA in Graphic Design ; and the best part of that worthless plaque, is that my former boss paid for it. So it's worth exactly what I paid for it, iykwim -- diploma mill.

I'm a cartoonist and currently enrolled in a BA program of Animation and Visual Effects at Ex'pression College for Digital Arts, just an incredibly short distance from the Pixar campus :D

Good to be back!

m!ke