Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

SmartSkin Question

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Here's a simple grid smartskinned to squash in one direction when the one bone's X axis is at -44

That's the only key I set... so why is motion created when the bone is rotated on only Y or Z?

(I'm not looking for an alternate way to achieve this effect, I'm trying to understand the nuances of smartskin)

SmartskinTest.zip

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a simple grid smartskinned to squash in one direction when the one bone's X axis is at -44

That's the only key I set... so why is motion created when the bone is rotated on only Y or Z?

(I'm not looking for an alternate way to achieve this effect, I'm trying to understand the nuances of smartskin)

This is my first post, so if I make any mistakes. I do apologize. I have no educated answer on the inner workings, but since Version 9 or so Smart Skin seems to behave in a circular fashion. Once a point is offset in a relationship of a bone rotation and you rotate the bone 360 degrees it will return to that location. Once you add additional offsets, the point starts to travel in unpredictable loops between them. In Version 7.1 where You could only Smart skin a point in relationships to each of the 3 Axis the point however traveled in a straight line to the new location. In many ways I found the old way better since a point would have a predictable track and could have differnt offsets at 180 or -180 degrees and not shoot through its own body trying to return to its origin. In the newer system I have better results not by setting consecutive offsets with different axises but rather describing a wide circle with maybe eight keyframes and adjust the skin than.

However additional adjustments can allways create fly away points. If anybody has any more experience or a method for working predictably with the new Smart Skin, it would be great to hear about it.

• Hash Fellow

It IS working right. The Tech Reference explains the multidiminsional smartskin

I understand that smartskin supports keying at any angle with a combination of axi , however...

Where in the tech reference does it explain that a key that is X axis change only (in other words, Y and Z remained at 0) will create motion if the bone later moved on Y only? If The X axis has made no motion toward the one key that has been set , why is the smartskin behaving as if the bone was making x axis change?

I think that it is because the smartskin has two positions keyed: the default rest position + the first key you made. each position holds data for the rotations and roll of the bone, not just x-axis, but the whole thing. I don't really know--but it is interpolating something, right? So I think that what is going on is more complicated than you can think about with just thinking about the particular axis of the bones movement...