Hash, Inc. Forums

Il Tempo Gigante

agep

Hi friends

Since I've finished up the Il Tempo Gigante I thought I should upload a few renders for you to see. Even though the car is finished, I do appreciates crits both good and bad :)

First I have a standard render of it:

[attachmentid=13568]

And I have an render where I basically just used the McLaren toycar scene, and I tried to achieve an toycar look of it (inspired by the real radio-controlled toy version of it: Images at the bottom of the link:

[attachmentid=13569]

And last I have made an little photo composition animation test. This is just an test so many things could have been done better, I'm just glad I managed to render the ground with just shadows :):

[attachmentid=13570]

Regards

Stian

iltempogigante.jpg

itgradiositysharp.jpg

itgphotocomp.mov

I can't believe how GORGEOUS that model is, and what a fantastic job you did on 'coloring". ... And for me to get excited about a model of a car is really quite extraordinary. You've given it wonderful "character & personality"...that's what makes it so absolutely super-special..

I love the first image (beautiful) - I love the 2nd image (beautiful) ...can't decide which I prefer - and the movie is very very believable - EXCEPT:

the car goes way tooo slow for something with a rocket engine...(Ha! - found something picky to say)

beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Thanks for your comments :)

That's ace! I'd love to see it dirtied up abit to make it look more real.

I agree, but I'm a bit unsure how to do that.

PS Also, maybe the sides of the tyres could use a displacement mapped logo/name.

There are none on the original model

Thanks again for your comments

Regards

Stian

I agree, but I'm a bit unsure how to do that.

You could do it the easy way with an alpha dirt image. Just rotate round the model and where you want it to be dirty, apply the image. You can do multiple stamps and vary the shape/size of the image.

dirt_copy.png

• Admin

Stian,

Your composite has something I can't recall ever seeing in a CG/Still Photo composite; the car going behind an object (the other car) and viewed through its windows. Now THAT is a nice touch.

Please explain the process you went through to seel that part of the shot to us!

Now if only you could find a way to composite YOU driving the Il Tempo Gigante ... :P

Great work in every respect.

If you are looking for suggestions I'd say try a little blur on the final movie but thats just what I like to do to dilute my images that are too clean. I'm talking about the composite movie not the stills here.

Bravo!

Your cg blend with a real picture was awesome. Did you use the IBL technique and the environment sphere to do it? Your car doesn't appear to reflect any of the scene, which leads me to believe you didn't. It's a really easy trick to do, and adds a great amount of believability to the blending of cg and live action. It also looks like you went for specularity over reflectivity. Specularity may be easier and faster, but it doesn't exist in the real world. All specular sizes and intensities can be achieved with surface bump size, height, and reflectivity values.

Nifty modeling Stian. I really like the color. :D

Thanks again:)

Stian,

Your composite has something I can't recall ever seeing in a CG/Still Photo composite; the car going behind an object (the other car) and viewed through its windows. Now THAT is a nice touch.

Please explain the process you went through to seel that part of the shot to us!

I managed to do that by using two rotoscopes on the camera. The first rotoscope (the complete image) was added in the background (on top=off). The second rotoscope was added in front (on top=on) with everything cut out (except for the car and the sign) by using alpha, the window on the car was given an grey color so it became semi-transparent

[attachmentid=13576][attachmentid=13577][attachmentid=13579]

If you are looking for suggestions I'd say try a little blur on the final image but thats just what I like to do to dilute my images that are too clean.
Actually I did the opposite of that, I gave the images a touch of a sharp filter, but thats just my personal taste :)

itgroto.jpg

itgrotoalpha.jpg

itgphotocompwire27.jpg

That's a fabulous model. I didn't really pay that much attention to the subject title, but as soon as I saw the car, I knew what it was from: 'The Pinchcliffe Grand Prix'. That is one of my favourite animations of all time, so I'm quite biased :) I wish the DVD of that animation was easier to get hold of here in the UK as I'm having a spot of bother getting it.

Congratulations on producing such a good model.

Steve.

I was just looking at the site where you can buy the actual toy...$181.00 US dollars...Yikes!

edit: Interesting fact about the car from the website:

"In spite of Lambert's dire warnings, but inspired by Sonny's enthusiasm and pluck, and backed by Oil Sheikh Abdul Ben Bonanza's money, Theodore sets to work finishing the racing car Il Tempo Gigante - a fabulous construction with two engines, radar and its own blood bank."

Now that's something you don't see being touted as a special feature on most race cars...

Thanks for your comments. I really appreciates them :)

and its own blood bank

Hehe. If you take a look on the side of the car (below the horn), you'l notice the three test-tubes with blood :)

Regards

Stian

Thanks guys :)

What were you render times like? You should create a backup and use AO on it in v13a

Jupp, actually I'm in the last phase of rendering an 3sec 360* uffizi IBL short of it, using the projectfile Matt posted in the "High Dynamic Ranged Lighting, Finding a way to make it work Options" thread as an basis. And its looking promising so far :) Im going to upload the quicktime when its done (give me a few hours).

Here is the test:

[attachmentid=14297]

However, right after the rendering was done I discovered that I had converted the latitude/longitude image wrong (I forgot to set the source image to light probe in the format setting), so the environment should have looked like this:

[attachmentid=14298]

ibltest_480ibltest0.mov

ibltest0.mov

Looks realy good Stian. Did you do the old method of IBL using an environment dome and skylight rig, or the new AO with IBL trick?

What i found with HDR reflections, that i can see on your renders, is that when you render even a 16x16 or 256 multipass render you still get pixilation in the super white regions. I wish they could somehow truncate the super color values after the colors have been made soley for the purpose of multipass.

Thanks Dan, Ed, Martin, John and Dhar for your comments. I also feel its on its place to thank Dan, Matt and Yves for theirs great effort, insight and experimenting with the light features, which have made it easier for me to understand the principles