Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

1st V12.0 model

Is it just me or do those spark plug wires look too thin?

I was thinking the same thing. Soon as I add the boots I'll fatten them up a bit. The spline rings for the wires and boot's have only 4 cp's for control so they have a semi diamond shape but I intentionally did that to conserve some splinage. I know one would ask with the increasing detail I'm attempting "why" but I tend to "try" to keep the spline cout as low as I can out of habit. Thank's Dhar.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scott,

I think you're doin FAN FREAKIN TASTIC! And the level of detail is great... Good on you for keeping spline count low... I gotta say this is really looking good!

Yeah, the wires might be a bit thin... but at a certain level of detail, you gotta quit looking for the little errors... See, here's my theory, if you throw a ton of detail in there... there's just so much to look at.. you don't notice the little things (kinda like the old high school days and those essays... If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance... baffle 'em with BS!)

It's kinda like that Kimble above... See, he's got the valve train all wrong on the right side of the motor ("passenger" side). Of course, you wouldn't know that... 'cause the right side isn't transparent... He's coverin' up!... Just take my word...

Charlie is absolutely right, except for the fact that those spark plug wires, in this case, screem for attention (being red with yellow background). 4 cps is all you really need, simply enlarge the wires and readjust positions - not much to it.

Dhar is absolutely right... (are we a mutual admiration society, or what?) and I think there's some text on those wires, too! Yes they need to be resized because they're so obvious... but at some point, all the wiring covers, looms and insulation and Ac compressors, and PS pumps, and and and... will cover up an awful lot!

And then, Bada Bing... everybody's baffled with BS! And, you look like a genius!

It's hard to believe doing this modeling stuff can be so much fun.... even when it's dealing with the nits picked!

and I think there's some text on those wires, too!

It's hard to believe doing this modeling stuff can be so much fun.... even when it's dealing with the nits picked!

Not the text...no...no...I'm not doing the text (he said as he was making the decal) (LOL) Actually I'm not doing the text...."really"! I'll make the timing tab but not the text!..... Ok, if I do a showcase of just the engine as a later project I'll make the text.

Yeah this modelling is actually more than fun. It sorta becomes part of what you do like eat and breathe. I can't think of anything I get more hours of enjoyment from. I think to myself while modelling sometimes "I wonder if Martin ever has those moments where he realizes how many lives his software is honestly an important part of." That's something to be proud of!

And the wire's will increase in diameter! I have also matched the RGB now to better simulate the color in the pic's.

I'll make the timing tab but not the text!.....

Just the tab? Hey! I meant...

[attachmentid=14910]

Surely, this Hot Rod has a Harmonic balancer with the degrees marked out on it... (all of them degrees.. not just the ones needed for timing...)

:lol:

"Bwahhhahhahahah!" Said the evil taskmaster rubbing his hands together and making the modeler sweat ALL the details!

Oh, and thanks for the reply in the macro thread... I replied to it, too.

ati_918871e_w.jpg

I'll make the timing tab but not the text!.....

Just the tab? Hey! I meant...

[attachmentid=14910]

Surely, this Hot Rod has a Harmonic balancer with the degrees marked out on it... (all of them degrees.. not just the ones needed for timing...)

:lol:

"Bwahhhahhahahah!" Said the evil taskmaster rubbing his hands together and making the modeler sweat ALL the details!

Oh, and thanks for the reply in the macro thread... I replied to it, too.

My mouse hurt's!

Did a little work on the chassis and the bumper where it meets the body and I'm almost "happy" with the headlight's. Had a funny thing happen when I rendered the chassis with the bare body. I have two groups one for the body color called "Bodcolor" that includes all the body parts that are painted. And the other called "barebod"that has the body minus the hood , door's and decklid. Bodcolor has all the specularity and reflectivity etc. adjustments for the paint. Bare bod is not set as it is only for exposing where I want to grab cp's for shifting around and hiding the rest. When I rendered with the Bare body and chassis I got this "flecking" in the paint that does not occur when all is visible. I assume this is because the group that is selected has no adjustments to it's surface and is what AM "thinks" I am asking it to render. The whole car render is a tad dark but I think it's one of the best I have done so far. Now back to that engine!

Chasrad0.jpg

ChasradBodB0.jpg

Nice headlights!

I've been watching your impressive progress with the Chevelle and I think it deserves that extra bit of tweaking to get the external sheet metal meeting plant specs. I've circled, in green, the areas where, IMO, two adjoining parts don't match in shape. The roof is circled in red because it appears to me, especially in head on views, that the roof is slightly concave. I'd suggest you grab parts of the central spline, move it up by about 1/8"- 1/4" and tweak the bias of the cross splines accordingly.

chevelle.jpg

Nice headlights!

I've been watching your impressive progress with the Chevelle and I think it deserves that extra bit of tweaking to get the external sheet metal meeting plant specs. I've circled, in green, the areas where, IMO, two adjoining parts don't match in shape. The roof is circled in red because it appears to me, especially in head on views, that the roof is slightly concave. I'd suggest you grab parts of the central spline, move it up by about 1/8"- 1/4" and tweak the bias of the cross splines accordingly.

I agree Rodger and thank's!. I actually have much to do on the body. The roof is still also too thick if you are looking at a profile of the car. I have been tweaking it bit by bit and did actually do some tweaking to thin it a bit and the area's you discribed are "in my sight's" as since tweaking it they stand out even more but I keep bouncing around and adding things to try to bring the overall together to get to the point where I can focus more on tweaking than building. I have been focusing ot the "nose" and engine as far as where I have given most of my attention lateley. I am getting to the hood and firewall area next then plan to tweak the corners of the trim at the roof as well as where the roof meets the pillar's at the two areas you have illustrated. The hood will be extruded to "roll" the sides under to give a sort of bevelled effect for a cleaner line as will the fenders where they meet the hood and then they will get a final tweak to match them up a bit better. The render with the doors and hood I just posted for something different and to show the progress of the chassis as I just added the radiator support but that group which hides the doors and hood I made specifically to start working from the firewall up to give me better access to the cp's I need to adjust. I also plan to raise the center and back of the hood to match up to the firewall better and bring the center area of the firewal forward to give the windshiels a better curvature. I'll get some wires together to better show you the splinage on the corners of the windshield as I am using the cp's to "steer" the bias in the right direction which is something I am still getting the hang of. the trim around the windshield is basically the same slpinage in all four corners but the angle's are very different, up top the corners must be sharp which requires more attention that the bottom where they sweep around wider. As I am learning to do this I am realizing how much more you can use it to get the most out of the splines and also how you can tweak on one axis and screw up another. Guess that's why we call it tweaking. I appreciate the input as it will help keep me focused on improving those area's. I have much to do on the rear as well but I am working from the front to the rear. (hence the lack of rear render's) I was teasing the owner about having too much trim on this beast as the window trim unlike the fenders and grille area are integrated as part of the main body mesh rather than seperate pieces like the rest. I can already claim that this is the best model I have built yet but it's far from finished. Some of the other "CG" forums don't give AM enough credit for being able to show detail and that's part of why I decided to build this car. I have to admit at this point I had no idea what I was getting into but I am happy thus far and still think I can pull it off. Thank's!

have to admit at this point I had no idea what I was getting into but I am happy thus far and still think I can pull it off.

I think you're a long way towards that... Pulling it off, I mean!

Keep going... A:M is up to it if you are!

See there Scott... and you thought I was tough!

Still, looking good!

I may whine and complain and drag my feet! But you guy's can only make me a better modeller. And that's enough for me. I wouldn't mind animating this thing but I am perfectly happy calling myself a modeller, oh and once I get this lighting and properties thing down a bit better a "renderer". I don't really think you're being though. I get better results with my progress from honest opinions. I have printed some of the renders I have posted and none of my offline friends are familiar with working with 3d software so they are "baffled" as you say. You guy's are familiar with what AM is capable of which makes it easier to point out things that otherwise go unattended. I think we all admire the work of others here and I believe you can critique and admire at the same time. I mostly admire but occaisionally toss an idea in if I get there in time to do so, but that doesn't happen very often. Oh and Thanks!

Ok I've halved it and reworked alot of splines as well as added a few. Rodger I tried to concentrate on specifically the area's you pointed out but still have some minor tweaks to make as well as a few more new pieces for the mesh. I'm up to 8 light's now! Question is how do I get only one shadow? I'm thinking I have to select all except for one light and turn off cast shadows. Please tell me I'm close. Also I tend to just move the light's around in the chor and adjust the intensities in shaded mode to see where they light what I want to show up clean. Is there a "pattern" or arrangement that is considered a standard for a well lit chor? I'll be donating the door handle as a model file as soon as I finish getting it "just right" for any one who may want it as a primitive to copy paste into other models. You never know when you might need one.

ReworkedDH0.jpg

DH.jpg

Scott, check the radiosity forum for links to spiral light setups... also search mufoof (that's a word) in the tutorials forum (xtaz was the author on that one). The Bradbury brothers were doing some great stuff with radiosity... and a program called neat image to reduce noise...

That;s all the help I can give you on lights.

As to what yo are doing with this chevelle.... Sigh! I hope I can do as well.... The rear side window needs tweaked... but you are really doing fantastic!

And, were it me, i would start seriously considering posting this in the wip section at cgtalk... without ever indicating what software you are using.... so many of the folks over there consider A:M to be a "nice little program for beginners." This Chevelle is starting to show them up... one caveat if you do that... they will "tear it up" but you may get even more ideas to perfect it.

Ok Charlie...what are you making? If you need "help" with part's let me know! Just think about each part as a component and build it and place it and eventually it all come's together. Just remember "refine...refine". I look at my 1st post of this car side by side to the latest and have to laugh at how "good" I thought it was looking when I posted it. I'm reading on the radiosity forum and making "slow" progress on my lighting. I attempted a render with radiosity on the other day but all I should say is I have a long way to go! It looked like "modern art" as if I had taken paint of all bright colors and put it on a tooth brush and speckled one of my print's. Those Bradbury boy's are good! The abort button was most definately very handy in this case. Yes that side window is way off as I have been studying my references. I just added the inner chrome trim and the glass(double walled) and I am in the process of a major resplining of the car (so much for those minor tweaks). A lead's to B lead's to C lead's to A as captain Braddock say's. So far I have redone the front fender as I had a 5 pointer at the front corner of the body that was driving me crazy! I'm not sure if I am ready for CG talk but I may give it a shot. Alot of those guy's don't respect AM enough but perhap's once I get a better handle on the lighting. "A nice little program for beginner's" I'm starting to see how massive AM really is lately and I've been at it for 3 year's! Uh, mostly modelling with diffuse and decal's. I'm watching Colin's demon and man does he have a handle on thing's when it come's to materials and all aspect's of AM. His mini cooper ( Colin if you're reading this"your mini cooper") breakdown helped me alot in understanding the right way to build a car in AM hence my desire to attempt this one. Here's one with the new fender...no more crease above the headlight trim! But still tweaking where the hood and fender meet.

ResplinedHalfB0.jpg

Ok Charlie...what are you making? If you need "help" with part's let me know! Just think about each part as a component and build it and place it and eventually it all come's together. Just remember "refine...refine".

I'm working on a typewriter... And I had a great handle on it... but then the model got corrupted on a switch to v12... I am Rebuilding now... "We can make him better"

But it's coming along... It'll be NEW when first modeled... then I'm gonna age it... Sure are alot of parts... and I would like to rig it so that it gives the appearance of working.... (though I will NOT do all the internal components!)

Your Chevelle is looking quite real... maybe it'll be ready when they re-start the image contest (we all think/hope it's gonna be mechanical again...)

I'm working on a typewriter... And I had a great handle on it... but then the model got corrupted on a switch to v12... I am Rebuilding now... "We can make him better"

But it's coming along... It'll be NEW when first modeled... then I'm gonna age it... Sure are alot of parts... and I would like to rig it so that it gives the appearance of working.... (though I will NOT do all the internal components!)

A typewriter! (yikes) there now you can make all the internal part's. I remember the old mechanical ones. OOH! You could have fun with that. Sound's like a real challenge just with the external but c'mon all you'll really have to make is one of those arms and copy it a couple hundred times! (LOL) you don't need the letters on the end's.

Oh and I just realized you were talking about the rear window and not the vent. I keep forgetting to shift it to fit the curve of the roof but next render I promise it will fit right. But I still gotta tweak that vent and put a handle on it. I'd like to have the Chevelle ready if there is a mechanical image contest but there's some real stiff competition around here and I have a way's to go on the lighting and a garage to park it in with a bench and.........

I looked in the radiosity forum but had no luck on Xtaz's tut or mufoof. Read some other post's though and found term's and references to thing's I have no concept of how to do. Still waiting for the 2001 moment there.

• 3 months later...

Well it's been a while...

I was hoping to have it ready for the image contest but life just got in the way. Still got alot to learn about lighting and dont have much time to work on it as the time I have is being used on some other commitment's but for anyone who was watching here's where I was ,er, am. The yellow one is going to be stripped down to the firewall to look like a second vehicle in the restoration process. I made two wall's and put a couple patches up with decals on them to make the poster's and the plan is to clutter it up with oil bottles and cans of automotive product's etc and them some more tool's etc.

IngarageTwins0.jpg

Sorry you didn't make the mechanicals contest... The way things look for you and me... Maybe we can be in next year's... You with the Chevy, me and T dogg with the batmobile... And I haven't forgotten my typewriter yet either...

Damn real life, anyway! It sure get's in the way of havin' fun with Hash... er A:M...

Just read through the entire thread on your progress - nice work. It's amazing what you pick up about working with AM when doing a detailed project like this. I started on a Saleen S7 many moons ago and am in the process of tweaking it again after getting more experience with modeling in AM.

You mentioned tweaking the cones behind the headlights, falloff and such. What were the settings that gave you the best results?

Just read through the entire thread on your progress - nice work. It's amazing what you pick up about working with AM when doing a detailed project like this. I started on a Saleen S7 many moons ago and am in the process of tweaking it again after getting more experience with modeling in AM.

You mentioned tweaking the cones behind the headlights, falloff and such. What were the settings that gave you the best results?

Thank's Eric. Heres the settings. This is for the lenses as that was what gave me the best result. Mainly the index of refraction was what gave me the look I wanted. There is also a bumpmap for the grid and I believe the percentage is set at 200% but I'll go into the project in V12 and double check it as I had to make adjustments for V12 since most of it was done in 10.5. I kinda bounce between them depending on what I'm doing. I like to model in 10.5 but rendering and lighting (for me) comes out better in 12. I too tend to let project's rest a while and come back to tweak them and each time it seem's my skill's have improved. You pick up alot just reading op's stuff here.

HL_StuffSM.jpg

WOW, That car too me looks like some kind of a dragster. How much HR power does it have? :P By the way very nice modeling it looks just like the real thing.

Thanks Viper, It's called a Pro-Street which basically is a street legal racecar. I'll have to check with the owner as to the HP although I think he has only determined the HP using a desktop dyno program on his PC. I still have alot of details to go on this one but I was going for realism. Hopefully I'll get back on it soon.

That's gonna look great. I like the girl picture on the wall ;)

Thanks Dhar. I dont know anybody who doesn't have something similar in thier shop so I thought it would give it a more realistic "garage" appeal. Now to figure out how to "grease" the place up and get some clutter of tool's and maybe some flourescent light's and tool clutter. I'm also working on a chopper to look like it's in the building stage but that's a future post.

And Charlie, hopefully I'll see you there!

Thank's guy's.