Hash, Inc. Forums

Yet another v13 Displacement Fun Thread

aaver

The new v13 displacement is so fun to play with, but for some tricky situations (see attachment) you have to go further than the usual 8 bit gray scale image displacement maps.

Remember that this is just one single patch!

..and it's fast to render too; less than 60 seconds with 9 passes.

[attachmentid=13363]

post-261-1137545428_thumb.jpg

On the bottom one, even though the obvious 'layers' disappear in the depression (lake?), it also seems like some of the details get washed out in the walls. So which is better? It almost looks like a combination might be better. I would imagine that the more steeply the surface is displaced, the more evident the 'washout' will become.

Will, if you get to this post before tomorrow evening, I am coming to see you. I am about to upgrade but it will be a couple of weeks. I want to see all the new stuff.

Wade

How do you save out at 16bit?
Sorry, I missed this post. I save out to 16 bit in my own little program, but I think it's possible in the latest version of Photoshop and PSP.

3D foot prints are also possible:

[attachmentid=13627]

post-261-1138020436_thumb.jpg

Wow. If you could make that footprint plugin available for TWO it would be cool!
Sure, but I have problem implementing this in v12/v13. I have a simple plugin for v11.1 that I could donate to TWO, should you want it.

You don't need a plug-in to do footprints, Ken, just an animated displacement map. Make an action where displacement moves from 0% to 100% over a number of frames.
Probably, but it's easier with a plugin, I think.

[attachmentid=13630]

M04a.mov

That looks great, Anders!

Is it easy to set up your plug-in for a variety of prints?

"... a variety of prints?" Not sure I understand. The print will reflect the foot shape. Does that answer your question?

"... a variety of prints?" Not sure I understand. The print will reflect the foot shape. Does that answer your question?

Maybe a non-isotropic surface? Like when mud and clay mix around on the ground?

Not really a deep concern, just trying to clarify...

Maybe a non-isotropic surface? Like when mud and clay mix around on the ground?

Not really a deep concern, just trying to clarify...

No, it only makes an animated displacement map from the history of how far below the ground any model in the scene has been. It's possible to develop this very simple idea much further of course, but I'm not sure I will. It's just something I played with :)

I want that footprint plugin!!! :P
Don't expect too much. It's more like a simple image processing plugin rather. The method I use is described here and the plugin just "collects" the prints. I haven't got time to write any documentation for this tool at the moment so just take it far what it is, experiment with it and expect it to crash A:M and destroy your computer... ;)

You reach the plugin by right clicking a footprint image sequence

To make things even more confusing, I just realized that contrary to the tutorial, the plugin expects white prints on black background. :huh: I will make that optional in a day or two.

Unzip the file and place the FootPrints002.hxt file in the hxt folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V11.1\hxt)

The plugin is tested in v11.1i and it does not work in v12 or v13.

[attachmentid=13640]

FootPrints002.zip

• 5 months later...

Very nice.

So scanning this string, I'm still not clear...

are you using a plug-in or some stock technique?

I can't think of any way to get stock A:M to capture the "below the surface history" information.

I believe much of the snow prints in Ice Age were done this way.

Hold the phone... just saw the bit on the .hxt plugin.

I'm working through the new features of v13. Too bad you say it doesn't work there. Are you going to upgrade it?

[...]I'm working through the new features of v13. Too bad you say it doesn't work there. Are you going to upgrade it?
I never found a way to do this with the v12 SDK, but for v12 there is a workaround involving copying dll:s from the v11 install. I wouldn't be surprised if the workaround works for v13 too.

With the v13 SDK I think it's possible again, however, but since I don't have access to A:M v13, I can't debug the plugin. When I upgrade my A:M licence and find some time, I will continue with this and some other plugins.

ddustin and I were talking tonight about animated displacement for water, and I put this little project together to show how to set a material to animate a displacement. It is just dropped on the ground plane and animated [the ground plane is a one patch model]

oceantest7_10_06.zip

oceantest.mov