Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

decals gone wild

guilded

I'm modeling a shotgun shell, and I would like to put some decals on the side. I have one decal that I've created that says "Remington" and it has an alpha map. I import it and change the application method to cylindrical, but when I apply it there are about 20 different "Remington"s stamped around the entire model. Spherical and Planar produce different, but undesired results.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In your model you will find a folder called 'Decals'. Under that you will find your decal with a sub folder called 'Images'.

On the properties for the image you are decaling, there is a 'Repeat option. It usually gets set to more than one in the X and Y directions during a cylindrical or spherical application if your on screen positioning decal is too small to wrap around the object.

Try to remove all your decals, and start over, position your picture and then use 'planar' as your application method in the properties of the Decal itself. Then scale your decal to cover the object on the side you wish the decal to appear. Then right click on the positioning decal and select 'Apply' or simply hit Enter.

Hope that helps.

When I turn the repeat back to 1, the image is stretched and i cannot get it to fit on the object like it should. When I use planar, it cuts off the image on the edges; I need it to wrap around the shotgun shell cylinder.

Do you have the shotgun shell selected? Which is to say, are all the CP's lit up green? If so, in my limited experience, when that happens, the image is applied to every patch. Also, if I correctly recall advice that I got, when you do a cylindrical wrap of your texture, the object shold be centered on the vertical Y-axis. If not, the image distorts. I tailor images by doing a screen capture of the model, take it into Photoshop and build the decal over model image. That way it has to fit.

I didn't have the shell selected, and it was centered around the Y axis. Anyways, I think I got it to work for now--I just hid all but a very small portion of the shell so that the repeats wouldn't appear. The images are still a little warped but it will do for now. Thanks for the help.

Also, shotgun shells have a very fine ridge-like texture all the way around the casing. Any ideas on how I could simulate that? If the shell was standing on end, the ridges would run top to bottom on the plastic part, and they are very small.