Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Making the camera rotate in a circle, pointing inward...

Kelley

As a test for my first animation in A:M, I want everything to happen around a group of rocks [underwater]. What's the easiest way to make the camera revolve around a center? In other programs, I could move the 'geometric center' of the object. In this case, do I need to move the 'camera bone'?[attachmentid=12848]

FISH_environment_01.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the easiest way to make the camera revolve around a center? In other programs, I could move the 'geometric center' of the object. In this case, do I need to move the 'camera bone'?

1. Put a null in the center of focus.

2. Scale it large for easy access.

3. Constrain the camera to "translate-to" and "aim at" the null. Turn ON "compensate mode" while setting each constraint.

Now you can rotate the null around it's "y" axis and the camera will spin around the null at a fixed distance.

(if you convert the nulls rotation type to "euler" you can just type in 360 in the "y" rotation property to set a keyframe for a complete turn. Be sure to key the "0" location first.)

Sounds more complex then it is.

Phil

• Admin

I like the simplicity in that Phil! I'll have to use that technique.

Here is another way:

- Lathe a verticle spline in a new model (this should form a cylinder)

- Grab and Delete all but the Top or Bottom of the cylinder (this will leave a spline circle)

- Throw this model into your Choreography (it is now your programmable(?) camera control spline*)

- Constrain your camera in two ways: First [Constrain to Path] where the spline circle is the target , Second [Aim at] your model (or a Null which you can move around)

- Adjust the circle and path ease to taste

I'm sure there may be even more ways to do this A:M.

*I like this method as you can set up a camera in the model and adjust it from there too. You can make the model spline path as intricate or simple as you need it to be.

Rodney

Couldn't you just use aim at to the null?

... that's it... just an aim at on the camera to a null at the center... then... animate the camera... doing whatever...

I guess it depends on if you want a perfectly uniform distance and rotation around a center point... or if you just want the camera to always "focus" on a center point and be "free" to do other things... like wash the car... do the laundry... I jest.

Vernon "!" Zehr

... that's it... just an aim at on the camera to a null at the center... then... animate the camera... doing whatever...

If you also add an orient-like constraint (with compensate on) you can actually rotate the null and the camera will rotate round it while always being aimed at it. You can even rotate the null inside the camera.

Hah!

Genius. I got it now Ken! Makes sense now.

A single aim at constraint is fine... but if you want the camera to travel from point A to point B in a smooth arc...

... it won't, it will always take the straight route unless you laboriously key framed it.

The translate/orient combo... the camera can rotate nicely around a center point without a lot of hassle.

Hee hee... I am so linear in my thinking my hat has holes in it.

Vernon "!" Zehr

What's the easiest way to make the camera revolve around a center? In other programs, I could move the 'geometric center' of the object. In this case, do I need to move the 'camera bone'?

1. Put a null in the center of focus.

2. Scale it large for easy access.

3. Constrain the camera to "translate-to" and "aim at" the null. Turn ON "compensate mode" while setting each constraint.

Now you can rotate the null around it's "y" axis and the camera will spin around the null at a fixed distance.

(if you convert the nulls rotation type to "euler" you can just type in 360 in the "y" rotation property to set a keyframe for a complete turn. Be sure to key the "0" location first.)

Sounds more complex then it is.

Phil

Phil,

Just wondering...is compensating the "aim at" null necessary? I can't see the reason for needing a compensation on that.

THanks,

Nos

Phil,

Just wondering...is compensating the "aim at" null necessary? I can't see the reason for needing a compensation on that.

THanks,

Nos

I usually have a camera setup that I like before doing the null, so using compensate keeps my camera aimed the way I want it.

BTW, you can also use the same null to drive the lighting around with the camera.

Phil

• Admin
:::::hi-lite...Ctrl C... open Word...Ctrl V...save in A:M folder for future reference::::

Dhar,

If you are so inclined you can also save the threads to disk as an HTML page for later viewing.

If your forum menu looks like mine you should have an Options menu in the upper right corner under the New Topic button.

Select [Print this Topic] and the thread will be converted to an HTML page.

If there are a lot of graphics this may take a little while.

Once the page is finished save the file from your browser (or use your Ctrl C method).

Sorry for the off topic here... but thought it might be useful.

Rodney

Couldn't you just use aim at to the null?

I guess it depends on if you want a perfectly uniform distance and rotation around a center point... or if you just want the camera to always "focus" on a center point and be "free" to do other things... like wash the car... do the laundry... I jest.

Vernon "!" Zehr

You could also get the camera to circle using expressions. Something similar to:

Transform.Translate.X = 200*Sin(GetTime()*5)

Transform.Translate.Z = 200*Cos(GetTime()*5)

Obviously adjusting numbers appropriately. And if the null moves:

Transform.Translate.X = 200*Sin(GetTime()*5)+..|..|..|..|Shortcut to Null1.Transform.Translate.X

Transform.Translate.Z = 200*Cos(GetTime()*5)+..|..|..|..|Shortcut to Null1.Transform.Translate.Y

I just tried that for fun and it looks pretty cool if you animate the null and move it around slowly.