Hash, Inc. Forums

Comments Welcome

Troy

Hey hashers :D

Heres something I started today, any comments welcome, please feel free to bash/trash/rant/comment on my work :lol:

Heres some wire/drawing of it, its going to be a huge whale/fish-like animal that movies real slow.

Remember, its a WIP ;)

troy1.jpg

troy2.jpg

And heres a movie:

CLICK

Regards,

Troy

//edit// - by the way, thanks pleavens for all your hosting help and help modeling!

Holy gentle giant, Batman!

The curves and shape just seem really right for a big fishie. Wondering also about doing the fins as separate meshes. Seems to me by doing them separate, you could be missing out on some folding and wrinkles on the skin around the fins. Just my 2 CP (as opposed to cents) worth.

When I used to work at a petshop in Berkeley CA, I would stare and watch and study the fish every chance I could get. Even had a 30 Gal aquarium at one point.

Looking forward to your interpetation of a big fish. On a great start so far, it seems.

Thanks for the comments so far. Well, I was talking with phill eavens about that also (keeping the fins seperate from the whole mesh) and he said it would be a lot easier, and there you wouldnt see any problems once the whole model is textured and all.

The only problem I saw that was going to be hard was that the fins have 6 control points that I would have to connect to a patch of 4, so Im not sure if it would come out right using the 5 point patch, because 5 point patches usually create a very weird deformity always for me :(

Anyway, thx for the comments, i'll keep you posted on what happens with him :D

Update 12.01.03

whalefishwip1.jpg

just trying to texture the body first, then the back fin, then the top fin, then the side fins.

but I dont think the bumpmap is working right, i set it to 300 and you can barely see any bumpiness (is that even a word lol).

Anyway, comments welcome.

//edit// oh ya, one question. Can you put a texture over a texture to make stuff blend? can't youd do that with a transparency map?

Update 12.03.03

whalefishwip2.jpg

CLICK TO SEE THE MOVIE CLIP!

-added barnacles and texture to side fins

Comments/suggestions welcome, plz!

Also, if you guys are getting annoyed of me keep posting, or updating to much, just private message me or tell me on here. I know it might get annoying to some people.

Happy modeling,

Troy

Very cool progress. The flyaround movie was very good. I agree with CarterHawk about the fish looking old and battle-scarred. Adds a bit of backstory to 'im.

Now I have the phrase "keep away from the green ones, they're not quite ripe.." going though my mind.

Anyway, I think the eyes could be a bit bigger, they kinda get lost in the texturing. Have you given any thought as to this fish's personality? With the downward angled mouth, I'm assuming he's (she's) a predator.

Really fun model, in anycase. Really like it.

I really like the concept and your execution of it! Nice creature and good work! I think the transition from the body to the tail is too constricted but then your imagination got to this particular eddy in the Orion Nebula first so you should definately call the shots.

Jonathan

**no tag line, I just don't have the imagination . . .**

Heres my first animation of him swimming! :D

I realise now I need to bone the barnacles because they kindof come off the body. If anyone has a better suggestion on a way to make the barnacles stay instead of boning all 53 barnacles, im all ears!!!

Its a 44 second animation thats 12 mb. I also dont know how to compress files into smaller files so I put it in a zip file :)

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD

Comments, again, are welcome

Troy

Compression is one of my favorite things, so listen up! :D

The best way to compress it is either WMV or Divx, alot of people have either one of these, so almoste everyone can see it, and both are free. to use WMV just get a copy of windows movie maker 2, which comes with WinXP, load your animation:master AVI into MM2, and choose save to computer from the pane on the left. If you want to use Divx, go to Divx and get a copy of the free basic codec (just ignore the ones that say PRO or ask for money, etc, (free link may be towards bottom of page)) after installing div, get a copy of VirtualDub and install it. open VDub, select File>Open Video, go to the video menu, select compression, choose divx, configure the bitrate, save compression settings, and goto File>Save AVI, and enjoy! :D

this link explains vDUB a bit better VirtualDub more or less

That's one slow movin critter. :)

I see what you mean about the barnacles floating as the mesh flexes. There are only a couple of things I can think of that could help. Use the CP weighting or boning each barnacles to use a surface constraint. AM Weights and Weight Mover make it easier to accomplish, but you can use CP weights without them. The trick would be to keep the weights from overlapping - resulting in distortions. If distortions are no problem then it might work with little research.

BTW Nice texturing.

I think it looks great so far. But there is something about the texture that makes it appear to be small to me. As if the texture is from a smaller fish. I dunno, i'm not an expert on fish anatomy or anything so take this comment with a grain of saltwater.

Regardless I think it is looking swell.

Doug