Hash, Inc. Forums

Singing Santa

tanassi

Hi all,

i would like to submit to your attention a model i'm workin' on since few weeks for an italian contest.

unfortunately i was late for the Christmas Hash contest :(

it will be finished in a few days and i'll pass it in the showcase area.

if you wanna see more work in progress images go to ITALIAN CONTEST

the theme of the contest is: how do you imagine your Santa Claus.

let me know if you have any suggestion or critic, thanks

concept

santa-concept.jpg

some wireframe

nicole-grid-01.jpg

nicole-grid-02.jpg

nicole-grid-03.jpg

nicole-grid-04.jpg

and some preliminar render

nicole-11.jpg

nicole-12.jpg

nicole-13.jpg

bye... Vincenzo

Very nice! And I'm not just saying that because the character is sexy. :) Looking forward to the animated piece. Reminds me of Jessica Rabbit ( Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

Do you think you post a larger picture. I'm having trouble seeing it.:) ( Insert Sarcastic tone )

Yes, i have to say i was inspired by Jessica Rabbit (just a little) the character is tipically half cartoon, as you can see. for the animated piece it will need more time, i have another wip i'm workin' on for animation (in my signature: Jazz Singer), this character is not yet rigged for animation but for a static pose only.

about the size of the images, i'm sorry, i've got a 24" monitor and forgot to consider other people may not have such size display, sorry. in the next i'll try to post more little images :D

bye... Vincenzo

Vincenzo.

Stop.

Just STOP!

I can't take it! These wimmin's ain't real! This is unfair! You can draw, you can model, but you can't bring them to life! Argggh!

Another beauty!

I like John Bigboote's girlie stuff, 'cause they are just a bit too unreal (well, maybe not in California).

But yours, Vincenzo, look like they might just have been based on a real live person of the female persuasion... and it's just scary... no body can look that good (well, except maybe "the girl from Ipanema").

I like her... a bit funky on the modeled hair where it goes into the skull at the top of the forehead... but, that's so minor. The top of her dress is really form fitting, and I really appreciate how it squeezes her soft parts just a bit (where the top of the bra meets the flesh)!

Mmmph. She's a nice one! And she can come down my chimney any day... In fact, I'll build her the chimney next year!

hi Charlie,

don't make you keep an hearthbrake... :lol:

and think about the fact that she'll be the second of a long series :D , i want to model females, realistic, semirealistic, cartoon but females, beautiful females, attractive females, pin-ups females, women, girls, and... :wub: i'm in love with females and the whole feminine universe.

about the model, i have always problem with hairs, but the breast area?... what about the breast area? i have tweaked a lot to obtain that delicate effect of pushin up, not exaggerated but still visible B)

OK let me know when your chimney will be prompted, i'll send this Santa to you :D

the subtitle i gave to this Santa Contest was: THE GIFT IT'S ME! enjoy her!

Happy new year to everyone... Vincenzo

about the model, i have always problem with hairs, but the breast area?... what about the breast area? i have tweaked a lot to obtain that delicate effect of pushin up, not exaggerated but still visible

[attachmentid=12818]

Obviously tweaked just right!

nicole_13.jpg

Guest william40

She is great model!

Just a few comments.

First the forearm, it seem a bit flat to me in the pose. At least the way the light is hitting it. Second, her contact with the ground. It seems to me there would be some more distortion to her cloths and fat/muscle with the contact to the ground/stage. I do see it on the side, but it is not very clear from the 3/4 shot. The Calf muscle on the right leg looks like it could use just a little more shape to the upper end, this would also reflect your drawing as well. Add another spline if you need to. Lighting, I think to give here that ultimate Sexy enviroment, play with the lighting some more. Try to get a hold of photography shots of models in that night club enviroment.

Just my opinion,

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks to everybody for all the kind comments and suggestion, :D

about the splineage, i always try to use the fewer number of spline needed, as per Hash philosophy (or cause my lazyness). if the geometry seems to be not sufficent, before to stitch more splines, i try to tweak the bias (alfa/gamma/magnitude in/out) and almost always i reach the result i want. the breast is a clear example of use of bias, and look at the double bend on the left knee. i know, it's a little bit annoyng to tweak the bias in the other half of the model, when you have already Copy/Flip/Attached it, it would be fine to have a command: mirror all the bias settings! don't you Martin? :D (this purpose it's a little interested)

about the song, i would make her to sing this SONG, don't you? with the voice of the beautiful Diane Krall, of course! (she's my muse :wub: )

bye... Vincenzo

Purple shoes? or just the lighting?

Hair should fall straight down in back, not cling to her back like a backpack.

Blue microphone. Would rather see it silver or chrome.

Eyes look like aflicted with cataracts, prolly the reflection of the light.

But, man, I can't model this good, so you fix as you see fit.

She's a beaut! You are prolonging my Christmas every time you post her!

great model..beautiful splinage, although the lighting is flat.

Have you tried a radiousity render? It would bring the dimensions of the model out much better. Otherwise carefully placed bounce lights would help.

Try lowering the suit specular and adding specular on the skin, then use the bloom post effect and slight film grain....just some suggestions :)

thank you everybody for your kind suggestions,

i'm sorry i cannot respond before but i was quite busy :D

now i would like to post a link to a fullscreen size image , i don't post it as image because it's very large.

in the next i'll post more images from several angles.

edit: i've attached new hi res images as promised

Front image

Left side image

Right side image

enjoy B)

bye... Vincenzo

Cool (or should I write "hot") santa-claus you got there. I don't beleive in Santa Claus anymore but I would be ready to change my mind.

There are two nit-pick that are catching my attention:

The shoes don't have a sole. This looks funny.

The skin looks too uniform in color and thus look unnatural. A color map with color variations would help. Legs and thigh are generally lightly bluer with legs bluer than thighs (this increase with age but your model is rather young). Arms are bluer too but the hands are generally lightly yellower. Also, a little bump maps to get a little bit of muscle definition would also help get a less uniform look.

AWESOME! Nice splinage! Great character! Love what I'm seein. Left view has nice detail in between.

What rig did you use? She would look great with some V11,V12,V13 hair.

I can't WAIT to see her in motion...I would happily volunteer to help animate her.

thanks to all as always,

Yves: i never quit to believe in Santa... particularly in this kind of santa :D

yes the shoes don't have soles i didn't plan to do a closeup of them.

the character was intended as semi-cartoon but if you want i can try to give her a more realistic look.

John: i think there's nothing to see in "between", she has no body under the dress.

i have used a simplified rigging needed for a static pose, now i have to give her a more complex skeleton with more controls for animation, may be i'll need some help to do this, thanks.

Hairs... i'm experimenting a lot, i think i need a more powerful computer or graphic card.

Charlie: she IS a natural blonde :lol:

Eugene: grazie, did you came in Italy last september?

ciao... Vincenzo

attached image: Nicole Naked, Beware nudity ahead :lol:

post-109-1137090002_thumb.jpg

Not to make her more realistic. But a little color variations in her skin would look just a little more natural. I think your character does not need to look realistic. You have a nice style. Only more natural skin. Right now, because the skin color is so uniform, she looks like she is made of rough plastic or vinyl. Also did you try the Skin shader on her skin?

That "nude" render reminds me of a surrealistic painting.

That "nude" render reminds me of a surrealistic painting.

oui, je suis le nouvelle Rene Magritte :lol:

Very nice

Are you using the same bobyon the girls

:blink: what you mean? :blink:

perhaps you mean: are you using the same body on both girls?

yes, she's the same girl, i have hidden the dress only.

bye... Vincenzo

Vince,

Yes, I did...after I took a trip of Eastern Europe we stopped off near Pescara at Francavilla al Mare to see my nonna!

What part did Animation Master, Rhino and Silo play in the creation of this model?

Cheers,

Eugene

Vince,

Yes, I did...after I took a trip of Eastern Europe we stopped off near Pescara at Francavilla al Mare to see my nonna!

What part did Animation Master, Rhino and Silo play in the creation of this model?

Cheers,

Eugene

Gene,

we could met, Francavilla is not so far from Ancona (my town) a couple of hour of car/train. next summer, OK?

now, technicals.

i used A:M for Nicole :wub: , of course, and the whole scene, the piano, the microphone and the curtain.

i have tried to use Rhino to model the microphone, and i did it (10 min), but when imported the mic in A:M i had a disaster of spline, when imported as a prop, i cannot have a good geometry, peaks here and there and no way to fix them.

so i remodeled it in A:M tryng to do the cuts with booleans but it takes too time to render, and the edges were too sharp.

i tryed to model the cuts phisically finding manually all the intersections, also to give to the edges some bevel, this drove me crazy :wacko:

at this point i applied a transparence map to the body of the mic and here we go. it's not perfect but, that's it.

i used Silo to try to fix some polygon of the mic model from Rhino... i gave up.

BTW: i'm a mechanical designer

some images of the Rhino modeled mic vs. the A:M modeled mic.

bye... Vincenzo

post-109-1137144822_thumb.jpg

post-109-1137144844_thumb.jpg

post-109-1137145370_thumb.jpg

post-109-1137145385_thumb.jpg

Vince,

Next time...for sure!

Rhino is a great program. I really like modeing in it even though I only do very basic things. The feel of the program is quite nice and the booleans work very well compared to other programs.

Did you export as OBJ?

Eugene

• 2 years later...

Yes... I had grabbed those images and view them from time to time for splineage inspiration. I had asked him what rig he used, and he never really let on, leaving me to think maybe he had modelled her in that pose...? What ever happened to this guy!

This is a classic!

Yeah, I'd been an admirer of these images in the gallery for some time now, but I didn't know about this thread until the other day. I'd always assumed he had modeled her in this pose and not rigged. I'd like to know more about this project.

Kinda reminds me of Michelle Pfeiffer in "The Fabulous Baker Boys" if ya know what I mean. If you ever wondered what "Makin' Whoopee" means, you won't after you see her sing it!