Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Finished Desert Eagle

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really nice model, Ben, but I must admit I have mixed feelings about your post. It's great to see fine examples of work done in Animation Master, don't get me wrong, but your intent with the weblink seems to be to drum up sales for your model. The Hash forum is very much a community of members helping members, and there is an openess and sharing that takes place that is rare these days.

Not only are you selling your model, but its pretty darn expensive too ($50!). I think its better to post things that you want feedback on, or you're willing to share without charge, or talk to Hash about getting you're own forum area like Anzovin does.

It would just be too easy for the Showcase Forum to turn into a vending area with everyone saying "here's my new model to buy". A lot of AM users submitted models to Hash for free, that Hash then gathered together and posted free to all AM users. If you want to see the antithesis of Hash's philosophy, check out Alias's website (Maya etc), where you're either a "bronze" "silver" or "gold" user depending on how much you're willing to pay per month.

Just my two cents worth... great model though!

That's a really nice model, Ben, but I must admit I have mixed feelings about your post. It's great to see fine examples of work done in Animation Master, don't get me wrong, but your intent with the weblink seems to be to drum up sales for your model. The Hash forum is very much a community of members helping members, and there is an openess and sharing that takes place that is rare these days.

Not only are you selling your model, but its pretty darn expensive too ($50!). I think its better to post things that you want feedback on, or you're willing to share without charge, or talk to Hash about getting you're own forum area like Anzovin does.

It would just be too easy for the Showcase Forum to turn into a vending area with everyone saying "here's my new model to buy". A lot of AM users submitted models to Hash for free, that Hash then gathered together and posted free to all AM users. If you want to see the antithesis of Hash's philosophy, check out Alias's website (Maya etc), where you're either a "bronze" "silver" or "gold" user depending on how much you're willing to pay per month.

Just my two cents worth... great model though!

You know, i never really thought of it that way. I mostly just had the link so that people could see all of the specifications and such, but the post wasnt meant to influence people to buy, thanks for pointing that out.

(I'll take that into consideration for future posts)

When i said just in case you are interested, i meant in the model, not buying it : l

D : Ben

A true masterpiece. The detail and quality of modelling and decaling are exquisite and professional grade. I don't blame you for choosing to sell it. Your time and energy should be worth a little kickback. We all gotta eat and buy clothing. Great job and good luck. B)

Yeah Ben, I guess its not that big of a deal as they're right, Eggprops puts up their new models that are for sale too, so it wasn't fair that I was singling you out, sorry.

I think it might be cool to make a forum rather than "Showcase" where you and others could put your models up specifically for sale. Rather than have it were people enter comments, make it more a listing so that you can see what is available. That way people wouldn't have to look all over the web for AM models, and they'd have a way of directly contacting the modeler.

The only hesitation I have will all this and the comment "your time and energy should be worth a little kickback" is like I said earlier, please, if you haven't, go check out Alias's website. All the good features are locked out, and you have to subscribe to access the information. Alias tries to make a buck from every aspect of their software. In one of the forums, a guy was explaining how to fix a common but tricky extrusion problem. An Alias adminstrator jumped into the fray, and told the guy to make a tutorial and then they would sell it to their "gold" customers. That was about the time I started looking for different software.

I'm not saying I totally opposed to selling models, there's a real need for that and it can benefit everyone. I just urge caution though, to keep in mind that its great to have the open sharing that currently exits.

Still think a seperate "Models for Sale" would be good, so long as the quality is really high. I did buy an Eggprops model of the Albertasuar skeleton, which was incredibly detailed, and fully rigged. Its very well done. Your gun model fits into that category.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

yes thats a really nice model very good detail

this was a shotgun i made a while back its nowhere as good as yours just felt like showing it off

i was wondering if i could take a look at one of the bullets just wanted to see how you got that metal look

shotgun0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a good example of why there isn't more commerce built up in the A:M community. (Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I'll leave up to you...)

Most of the people who are selling models for A:M are selling them on TurboSquid, and selling them at Turbosquid prices. (I personally don't know of anyone who would actually pay $180 for a basketball model!)

If you want to sell models, and actually make some money at it, take a look at the Renderosity marketplace, or Daz3d.com. Remember, you are selling to hobbyists, mostly. Remember also, that you only have to spend time making the first one. Any others that you sell cost you nothing in time, only whatever cut TS takes for brokering.

Ben, you'll probably be lucky to sell one or two of those at $50 a pop. If you put a dozen realistic weapons like that together (Or even half a dozen) and sold them for $25 a set, you'll make more money in the long run because more people will buy.

People have pointed to figures like Victoria and Michael, and say that they wouldn't want to make something like that for A:M because they would want $80 or more for making the model, but DAZ is giving it away for nothing. But DAZ gives them away so that they can sell clothes, and props, and morph targets. (And all the other crap that they sell on there)

It's debatable as to whether or not this is a good thing. Personally, I feel that it stunts creativity, for one thing, for another, it detracts from quality. Rather than having everything tied together by one style, one level of detail, you wind up with an eclectic mish-mosh that doesn't really work.

And you'll never see anything done stylistically, anything truly original. Try to imagine what Luckbat's or Kricket's work would look like done in poser... eeeeyuuuck! Homoginized......

Try to imagine TWO being done with poser..... Speaking of which, I have to go finish a fight that someone started months ago over at the renderosity A:M forum...

I actually sold that model by request on a non-exclusive basis( easiest way is on turbosquid). I sold it to Karl for 50 dollars off of turbosquid.... I think that lowering the price would be unfair.

I am open to suggestions though for modeling.... Havn't done much lately, and would love some work (for personal, donation to hash extras and such, or for sale).

In fact, maybe even several members could just kind of jump together to create a large sum of models around a general topic to contribute to the Hash extras cd.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...