Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

JUST THE BEST FOR 2006

jo b.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah! You almost made my 2005 end in a heart attack!

I kept turning up the volume on my computer to hear if the guy was muttering something... and... well... a certain event in your movie caused me to be a bit startled. :)

Excellent job. Happy New Year!

That is amazing! Are the buildings in the background full sized or are they a small mockup? Anywho, this animation may even top an earlier movie made in A:M from 2004, "I'm Walkin" by Soulcage.

I'm Walkin

Hi!

Thanks again! The background is simply a photograph of the skyline of Bremen, our home base.

Okay...

Don't answer if it is a deep dark company secret... but I am dying to know the constraint mechanism for the "springy" window shade thingy.

I can understand a "wobble" on one end from a dynamic constraint... just curious how you got the dual action.

My guess is two constraints back to back? Newton Physics plugin? Hand keyframed?

Anyway... great stuff.

--------

p.s. That was my New Years celebration for a few years back in the day... of course the company I worked for bought cheap chairs and the hydraulics never worked that well... so I was never in any danger... I was periodically seen during the day with my chair upside down spinning, and pulling it to get the height back up.

Vernon "!" Zehr

hey vern,

no there is nothing like a secret about it.

first i animated how it comes of the ceiling and bounces on the table. quite easy to do, if you animate in curve mode. (see timeline curves) when the overall timing seemed correct, i added a simple muscle pose (-100 to 100) to make it wobble (see the poseslider - "biegen" means to bend).

i animated using the curves as well. than a little correctin was nececary cause of the deformation i had to readjust the positions where it hits the table. that's it.

handanimated.jpg

why do so many people think it's simulated?!? that would take soooo much time to tweak to get the desired timing. i'm not patient enough for stuff like that.

Hee hee...

I had a feeling it might be done "by hand". At the last minute it kind of hit me... so I added it to my list of options. I always forget that the "old school" skills of animation didn't have the luxury of dynamic simulations.

;)

You guys are the "poster children" of "getting it done"...

... so many of us want "automation" when in reality... doing it the "old fashioned" way is quicker...

... it just requires more talent!

Basically... just a variation of the traditional "bouncing ball" animation tutorial.

;)

Look and learn people! This is great stuff! KISS!

Vernon "!" Zehr

Great animation!

Are you guys using the A:M composite feature for rendering now or are you still using the same technique you used in the "I'M Walking" short?

No, we still use our old method. But in this case, there weren't that many passes to render.

:ph34r:

Hey jo b., what are your computer specs.?

the cool thing using AM is that you can do everything!

if there is something like a a specification, it's propably previz, modeling, rigging and animation. but i'm also interested in lighting, rendering and compositing.

Hey jo b.

First off.. you guys.. well.. you're my inspiration. Not to sound like a fanboy. But I've been dying to know...

How do you guys do your render. I know you use multiple layered renders to simulate GI.. but I've never been

able to get the same result.

Have you posted the proccess anywhere on this or other forums? I know this may be proprietary and I understand if its an issue to describe the proccess, but you guys rock with this renderer. And I'd love to be able to get the same results.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Oh.. and for the record.. Sunny Side of the street .. My alltime favorite. That short rocked my world.

Keep up the fantastic work guys.

C

Hey jo b.

First off.. you guys.. well.. you're my inspiration. Not to sound like a fanboy. But I've been dying to know...

How do you guys do your render. I know you use multiple layered renders to simulate GI.. but I've never been

able to get the same result.

Have you posted the proccess anywhere on this or other forums? I know this may be proprietary and I understand if its an issue to describe the proccess, but you guys rock with this renderer. And I'd love to be able to get the same results.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Oh.. and for the record.. Sunny Side of the street .. My alltime favorite. That short rocked my world.

Keep up the fantastic work guys.

C

thanks, glad you like it.

yeah, usually we use the described method to achieve a cartoony look. it always differs in some points cause we try something different. but mainly it always is tha same compositing idea with flat shaded passes combined with white model passes for the lights.

but this time we didn't do that. we only used one beauty layer(color, lights(no specs)), specs, a shadow layer and a light effects pass rendered in a white room for the lights flashes of the firework.

the light setup in the beauty pass consists of a 25-poissant dome, not rendered with bulps but with spots and z buffered shadows to simulate gi. i think 4 spots (also z buffered) to simulate the lights situated at the ceiling and one brown very soft brown light without shadows from the bottom to simulate the light reflected by the floor.