Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Christmas WIP

Here's a little Christmas scene I've been working on in my spare time (when not working on TWO). Not quite finished and I don't think it'll get done before christmas but here's what I've got so far. I'm planning to use it for our christmas cards next year if I can ever finish it...I made the santa last year. The tree was probably the hardest part. Placing all those lights by hand sucked and I'm still not happy with the way they look. If anyone knows of a good way to make realistic looking christmas lights let me know. I used several props off of the hash cd's for the presents (Thom is getting removed because he's too darned distracting). I'm still planning to get rid of the painting above the fireplace and replace it with a wreath. The candle is based on aaver's candle. The fireplace will be redone with geometric bricks. I plan to add some garland to the mantle. Stockings still need to be stuffed with something ... need to add milk and cookies ... ack, still so much to do. Anyway, let me know what you think...

Kevin

post-740-1135048035_thumb.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks really great so far, Kevin. This has the potential to be a great piece. Good old Boneless Thom is getting to be a regular Alfred Hitchcock with his cameo appearances!

It seems to me that the overall ambience may be a bit high. If you had the fireplace and candle as the main light sources, thereby making the back of the tree and presents much darker, the tree lights might look a lot more convincing.

The picture has an overall great composition, as I can tell you already know. I'll bet if you play with the lighting and eliminate the ambience it will really come alive.

Nos

Lovely Santa!!!

I agree about the ambient light... whole composition should be in darker, foggy and dreamy atmosphere (hope that this makes sense)

Also some volumetrics on the candle and fireplace would help... The way it is now, it feels that light does not come from the candle but from the wall...

Great work so far! Keep us posted!

Drvarceto

very very Nice looking piece, appealing - good composition.

I like the painting over the fireplace - it was a nice surprise to me - slightly off style, but intriguing. To make a cozyier image - I think the window needs some curtains/drapes, to the side of the window - not closed (I especially like the hint of frost), & an area rug on floor, perhaps with a cat, lapping up the milk next to the cookies. Maybe some family photos on the same wall as the window? perhaps photos of your family?

Nice. (I already said that)

Thanks for the comments guys, I've been working on the lighting more to try and better capture the mood. Lighting is so dang hard but for some reason I like it, might even try to get involved in doing some of the lighting for TWO if I can...

I like the painting over the fireplace - it was a nice surprise to me - slightly off style, but intriguing. To make a cozyier image - I think the window needs some curtains/drapes, to the side of the window - not closed (I especially like the hint of frost), & an area rug on floor, perhaps with a cat, lapping up the milk next to the cookies. Maybe some family photos on the same wall as the window? perhaps photos of your family?

Nice. (I already said that)

thanks Nancy. The painting was a norman rockwell painting of santa i found on the internet ... thought it fit in a weird way. Definately agree about the curtains and the rug, I'm still planning to add those...

Cooool. Your Santa looks a lot like the one in the stop-motion animated classic "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" show. Lovely scene, Kevin

Yep, i set out to make that Santa, just add a few small changes of my own...

Lovely : )

How did you light, just normal lighting?

For the fire, maybe try some layers? it looks kinda bland?

Ben

Just normal lighting, I've got a bunch of bounce lights (that are too strong currently) and a bunch of additional lights and lights lists. I'll post a of the setup once I'm a little happier with it.

Kevin