Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

importing a rigged MDL file into another rigged MDL

rbjohnsn

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you mean by the word "Link".

If you mean "constrain" then I think the answer is "Yes".

If not... I don't understand your question fully.

Rodney

I guess a better trem would be to marry it, or connect it. I can constrain it to a bone, but when performing an action the imported model remains in it's current position if I move the main model. I would like to get around from having to reassign all the CP's thier respectived bones.

Are you A. importing a model into another model so that it is all one model? or B. are you importing a model into an action and it shows up as an action object?

if A.Importing into a model - then you must assign the cps of the imported model to some bone in the original base model - but you can also import a model with bones (into another model with bones) - and then you have to parent the bones of the imported model into the hierarchy of bones for the original (base) model.

BUT

if B. you are importing a model as an action object - & you want the action object to follow the base model - you must either move the action object models bone - or you can constrain the action object model bone to some bone of the base model - (usually done with translate & orient constraints, or kinematic - depending on what you want to do)

so let us know more precisely what you want to do - and could probably help you better...

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to do "A", but haven't figured out how to parent the imported bones to the base model.

Are you A. importing a model into another model so that it is all one model? or B. are you importing a model into an action and it shows up as an action object?

if A.Importing into a model - then you must assign the cps of the imported model to some bone in the original base model - but you can also import a model with bones (into another model with bones) - and then you have to parent the bones of the imported model into the hierarchy of bones for the original (base) model.

BUT

if B. you are importing a model as an action object - & you want the action object to follow the base model - you must either move the action object models bone - or you can constrain the action object model bone to some bone of the base model - (usually done with translate & orient constraints, or kinematic - depending on what you want to do)

so let us know more precisely what you want to do - and could probably help you better...

It will depend on the rig...

Lets say you have two pretty similar models. You being one into the other.

There are now two sets of control rigs... here is where some trouble might happen. If the bones for EACH model have the same names... the imported model will get its bones renamed automatically by AM on import. You need to modify one of the models so the bones have unique names.

Okay... let's imagine you have gotten past that point and are moving on...

...two sets of control rigs (I am assuming a humanoid figure with a traditional skeletal and control rig bone setup).

Now just constrain the control bones only from one to the other using orient and translate to constraints for each bone or null.

Now... if you do this... the models need to be exactly the same.... height... same arm length same leg length... other wise.. stuff will not line up properly.

There are a lot of variables... and you haven't told us the goal of this exercise...

...are you importing a rigged costume or armor for a character? Best to remove the bones and just assign the mesh to the figures bones...

...Are you importing another character to... follow the other one around? Best to do that in an action. If both rigs are the same you can use one action on multiple models.

You see... each goal... has a different solution. Without knowing specifically what you are trying to do... it may be hard to give you the best solution.

I have a sneaky suspicion... that possibly... importing a model into another model is not what you want or need to do... it would help to know more about your final goal.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Thanks for such a fast response. What I am trying to do is use Steven Cleary's work on his "steves_head_gizmo.mdl" file, and attach it to the 2001 Skelton.mdl used in Animation Master.

I haven't come up with the correct bone assignments using Translate and oreint like. What happens is in an action when moving the skelton bones the head bones stay in place. If I reassign the head CP's then I loose all the bone assignments for Steves head.

I am trying to do "A", but haven't figured out how to parent the imported bones to the base model.

BUT

I just reread your post!

DON'T REASSIGN THE MESH OF THE HEAD!

You want to put the head into the hierarchy of the 2001 rig. Drag the base head bone of the head gizmo to the same spot that the 2001 head bone is located.... I think...

The stuff below is still pertinent. Just wanted to make sure you DON'T reassign the mesh of the head.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well... I am not sure exactly how that model is setup.

Here is how it should work...

There should be... a head bone at the base... or some kind of root bone for the head. You need to get that into the hierarchy of the bones in the 2001 rig...

...or at least... constrain it to the 2001 rig head bone...

I have the head gizmo you are talking about... when I get a chance I will see how to "connect" it to the 2001 rig...

...like I said... it should work... but... I don't know how all the constraints in the head gizmo relate to the rest of the model. So if you move that head bone it might be messing up some of those constraints.

In a pinch just add a root bone in the head model and drag all the other bones "into" that bone... or under it if you follow me.

then constrain THAT bone to the head bone of the 2001 rig model.

This is kind of the same procedure that is being done in the TWO project... so... I know it works... of course they aren't using the 2001 rig so things might be different.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Thanks for the help. I had as much done what you suggested but failed to lock the bone to the parent. AM is not an easy program to learn from just the hand book!

<EDIT>

I just reread your post!

DON'T REASSIGN THE MESH OF THE HEAD!

You want to put the head into the hierarchy of the 2001 rig. Drag the base head bone of the head gizmo to the same spot that the 2001 head bone is located.... I think...

The stuff below is still pertinent. Just wanted to make sure you DON'T reassign the mesh of the head.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well... I am not sure exactly how that model is setup.

Here is how it should work...

There should be... a head bone at the base... or some kind of root bone for the head. You need to get that into the hierarchy of the bones in the 2001 rig...

...or at least... constrain it to the 2001 rig head bone...

I have the head gizmo you are talking about... when I get a chance I will see how to "connect" it to the 2001 rig...

...like I said... it should work... but... I don't know how all the constraints in the head gizmo relate to the rest of the model. So if you move that head bone it might be messing up some of those constraints.

In a pinch just add a root bone in the head model and drag all the other bones "into" that bone... or under it if you follow me.

then constrain THAT bone to the head bone of the 2001 rig model.

This is kind of the same procedure that is being done in the TWO project... so... I know it works... of course they aren't using the 2001 rig so things might be different.

Vernon "!" Zehr