Hash, Inc. Forums

"You're right Mr. Thatcher..."

Hey Robert!

All I can say is, amazing job! Since you've help me out so much I didn't want to leave you empty handed, so I watched it over eight times trying to find something wrong with it. I couldn't find anything! Amazing work.

So, wait a second, this is in Animation Master? Hmmmm, so, you did you make that model?

Cool! I love every thing but his mouth. No lips! :) Maybe that's the style though. Also a smallish point. I think he goes to work out the 60 years bit too early. It's like he's working it out before he's said it.

• Hash Fellow

Thanks everyone!

Since you've help me out so much I didn't want to leave you empty handed, so I watched it over eight times trying to find something wrong with it. I couldn't find anything!
Alas, there are things wrong with it. Perfection is elusive, but "it will have to do" seems to arrive every week.

For me, the biggest irritants are the interaction between the hips/torso/head. The line between moving hold and float gets crossed several times. I'm still debugging that.

So, wait a second, this is in Animation Master? Hmmmm, so, you did you make that model?
"Yes" and "sort of". I got a hold of an .OBJ someone had exported from the AnimationMentor version and fortunately it was rather well laid out. With a lot of judicious spline deleteing and re-connecting I got to this A:M model. Many fan bones for joints, CP weighting for the mouth, then rigged in TSM2.

No lips!
You shoulda heard the howls from some of the students when they got this "lipsynch" character that had no mouthshapes, just an up and down control for the jaw. But the teaching strategy seems to be to minimize the whole mouth thing and stress the body language.

You might consider having him look back at Mister Thatcher after he says "60 years" to see Mr. T's reaction.
That is looking at Mr. Thatcher, but not clear I guess.

That's really your first lip sync ever? How'd you get out of it during Duck Sauce?
well, I did do the mouth on the paperboy shots, but that wasn't really "synch". Jeff Lee put in the mouth movements on everything else I did.

BTW, if anyone hasn't seen ZachBG's Duck Sauce, the movie made in a weekend... you really oughta!

You might consider having him look back at Mister Thatcher after he says "60 years" to see Mr. T's reaction.
That is looking at Mr. Thatcher, but not clear I guess.

It was clear he was looking back - I think the suggestion was meant to imply to do the turn AFTER he says 60 years.

At first I thought that as well - which makes me reconsider (since it was the first thing that came to mind, and it's better to go with something more unexpected). Perhaps keep the fast action you have of him turning but just delay the start of the turn?

Good stuff - also found it interesting to hear about placing more stress on body language - rather than the mouth.

Really great.

It's bugging me that he's holding his side like that. If he were sitting or if he had a stomach to rest on, but his dialogue is strong and aggressive but the body language is a little defensive and weak. It might work better holding his elbow instead (resting his arm in his elbow?) (Sorry I know that's a big fix) Fingers are really nice. The head seems a little wobbly in the first sentence, maybe take out some of the up and down and just emphasis one of the accents of the sentence. His looking is kind of aimless, he's just not looking at Mr. Thatcher, to me it seems like he should be looking at something in his mind so we can see corresponding eye darts to show he's thinking, otherwise why not just look at Mr. Thatcher? It's looking strong though, you've improved a lot from the last work of yours I've seen.

-Alonso

• Hash Fellow
It's bugging me that he's holding his side like that. If he were sitting or if he had a stomach to rest on, but his dialogue is strong and aggressive but the body language is a little defensive and weak. It might work better holding his elbow instead (resting his arm in his elbow?) (Sorry I know that's a big fix)

I can't really argue with you too much since that was the way I started out. But my mentor didn't like the huge hand on the spindly elbow so he suggested the wrap-around. It works for most of it, but not for all of it. I'm going to find some slight alternative pose around "next year" to break it up, I think.

I began with more aggressive poses but every week my mentor was nibbling away at this to get the performance smaller, smaller, smaller. A few more weeks and it might have disappeared entirely. ;)

It's bugging me that he's holding his side like that. If he were sitting or if he had a stomach to rest on, but his dialogue is strong and aggressive but the body language is a little defensive and weak. It might work better holding his elbow instead (resting his arm in his elbow?) (Sorry I know that's a big fix)

I can't really argue with you too much since that was the way I started out. But my mentor didn't like the huge hand on the spindly elbow so he suggested the wrap-around. It works for most of it, but not for all of it. I'm going to find some slight alternative pose around "next year" to break it up, I think.

I began with more aggressive poses but every week my mentor was nibbling away at this to get the performance smaller, smaller, smaller. A few more weeks and it might have disappeared entirely. ;)

You did an excellent job of not over acting the piece I thought, very fitting to the dialog.