Hash, Inc. Forums

v11 alpha Hair WIP

JTalbotski

Hey Jim, she is looking beautiful. Something seems a little off with the hair. It might be the shine, I'm not sure.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a modeling and/or texturing tutorial from you. I could sure use some extra help in areas.

What I have always admired, and respected, about Jim's modeling, is his usage of splines. His models are all well crafted and none are overly heavy with regards to their mesh. No easy feat. I, as well as others, would not mind a tutorial... :D

Nah...no pressure. ;)

Thanks Jim for your input to my "how do you texture.." question.

Man, I like the models on your website. Have you though about adding more images to your site, plus tutorials? We all could learn a bunch from you!

Thanks for sharing your images, and techniques.

Awesome!

Hey Jim - no pressure ... just do one allright?

I know that for some folks suggesting that someone get paid for their work is a dirty concept but .... I would pay for a well put together tutorial in a nice movie format. I learn so much more from tutorials that way. So, if I were to make a suggestion to Jim (if I were asked) I would offer that one.

Anyway, I'm glad you're at least thinking of doing one. We could all benefit greatly from this. Can you tell I'm a fan Jim? So the Tarzan and Jane models that are on the Hash site are yours Jim? I went to look at them and didn't see credit on the download section.

Doug

What the hell !?! I've been lurking the animaster list and forums for years and have subconsciously kept a "who's who" list of A:M users with the name J. Talbot firmly entrenched as "The mechanical modeling expert-splinesman guy". Then he starts posting awesome character images such as the "Hashbrau Dwarf" and this breathtaking beauty. Now I may have to re-classify him as the "Awesome lighting / texturing character guy as well. Hmmm.... I'm just going to classify him as "The Guy (The Man)" and leave it at that!!

• 1 month later...

Hey Jim,

I just found out about this thread as well I had asked you about this character in another discussion, after you had posted a gif turn-around of her. She is definitely looking good. What made you change your facial spline setup from your previous version, that didn't use the radial pattern around the mouth and eyes?

Javier

Hey Jim,

I'm new around here, but allow me to say that I love your work. I appreciate you laying out your texturing procedure. I believe that's the one that either I saw in a texturing tutorial in Sherwood or in David Rogers book. What I would LOVE to know, however, is what your techniques in PHOTOSHOP are? :) How did you get that wonderfully subtle vascularity to her skin- just you PS techniques in general. I was basically introduced to the world of digital graphics by A:M, so I never really learned much about the details of Photoshop except unless they directly relate to something in A:M.

I'd love to see a tut' from you on working with PS FOR A:M

srmjr

Hey Jim,

I'm new around here, but allow me to say that I love your work. I appreciate you laying out your texturing procedure. I believe that's the one that either I saw in a texturing tutorial in Sherwood or in David Rogers book. What I would LOVE to know, however, is what your techniques in PHOTOSHOP are? :) How did you get that wonderfully subtle vascularity to her skin- just you PS techniques in general. I was basically introduced to the world of digital graphics by A:M, so I never really learned much about the details of Photoshop except unless they directly relate to something in A:M.

I'd love to see a tut' from you on working with PS FOR A:M

srmjr

Srmjr,

Maybe you didn't see these posted elsewhere:

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/FLATTEN-TUTORIAL.zip

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/FEATURES-TUTORIAL.zip

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/EYEBROW-DETAIL-TUTORIAL.zip

http://homepage.mac.com/talbotj/EYELASHES-...IL-TUTORIAL.zip

They are LARGE files. I hope you can download them. All your questions are answered in the tutes, I think.

Jim

Hey Jim,

I just found out about this thread as well I had asked you about this character in another discussion, after you had posted a gif turn-around of her. She is definitely looking good. What made you change your facial spline setup from your previous version, that didn't use the radial pattern around the mouth and eyes?

Javier

I'm not sure what other pattern you mean. You might be referring to how I would always try to model with as few splines as possible. Those never animated very well.

But I wanted to develop facial poses for this character and knew from other sources that the radial pattern is best for good lifelike poses.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Thanks!! No. I had not seen these tuts before. But I haven't checked out the forest in a little bit- especially regarding surfacing. These are excellent EXCELLENT tuts!!! Well done! I guess I should echo others here and say "yes" you absolutely MUST do more. Again, thanks! :D I've got a lot of homework to do!

srmjr