Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

v11 alpha Hair WIP

JTalbotski

Hi all,

Here's a render of the new hair from v11 alpha. The image has been softened with this free plugin that I love, DreamyPhoto. You can get it, for Mac and Windows, here:

http://www.autofx.com/freeplugins/dreamyphoto.asp?id=7

I still have some things to fix, like the hair penetrating her ear. And since I removed her gloves, I need to add fingernails. Her fingers are also penetrating the gun.

It took 4 hours and 47 minutes to render this because I have three wide raytrace lights with 9-11 rays cast, reflections turned on (the gun!), the particle hair and 5 pass multipass. I didn't have the patience for 16 passes.

I rendered the image with an alpha channel and so was able to add the soft background colors in photoshop.

I'm loving the new hair!

Jim

LADYwithGUN.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of ammunition is she using? I'm assuming bullets with phosphorescent heads that illuminate the inside of the barrel. ;)

Ha! Yeah, I probably should have avoided making the inside of the barrel reflective. I think it lit itself up. Oh, I did have one light shining right at the front of the gun, darn it. Looks like another long wait for a render coming up.

Jim

Hi Jim

... or shall I say "Spline Man" :)

Great work (as always). You must be the guy I've seen who's got A:M best under control.

I wish I knew how you get a model in AM so smooth. Are you 100% AM compatible or do you just have the world's patience? :)

By the way, I'm using the same type of effect in my current project (A Music Video), however, in Ulead products it's on board (not a plug-in).

Enough rambling... If you hadn't mentioned the finger nails and hair I wouldn't have noticed as I think you are "the Man" and I don't scout any pictures of your's for mistakes. (They are truly few)

Great work

Francois

Thanks guys!

Francois, if you want your models smooth, try to make all your patches as square as possible and then add the new porcelain. I does wonders, especially to 5 point patches.

A:M and I are pretty compatible, but I do have a good deal of patience, too. ;)

I hope to have a new render up later tonight with the fixes.

Thanks again,

Jim

Hello Jim,

this is a phenomenal work. I think your style is great.

Is it inappropriate to ask you for a picture of a spline-render? I would like to learn how to set up such a wonderful face. To see how many splines are necessary and where to put them, would help me (and maybe many other newbies) a lot.

Thank you very much in advance.

LX

Thanks again for your comments, guys. I may post this at CGTalk, when I get it right.

Mike- Yes, I meant the porcelain from the 2003 CD. Sorry I wasn't clear on that. And are you calling my character a "brush"? :P

For those who wanted to see a wire, here's a combined image of the labeled renders. I turned off reflections to try to save on render time, but unfortunately that also took most of the highlights from her eyes. I should have just turned it off for the gun. Duh. And I forgot to turn on the alpha buffer. Double duh.

I don't like the puffiness of her hands and the way the wrist bends, so I'll have to work on that. Anything else that doesn't look quite right?

Thanks,

Jim

SEQUENCE.jpg

• Hash Fellow

I like the character. The proportions remind me somewhat of Gerry Anderson's "Supermarionation" characters (minus the strings, a 60's thing).

What would ultimately be necessary to eliminate the aliasing of the hair strands? Would scaling down a larger render do it?

Also, the geometry on the very top of the head looks unusual (lots of apparently three point patches). Are we really looking at two layers of geometry there; something to do with generating the hair?

robcat2075,

Thanks. The 3 point patches you see on the head are actually the guide hairs overlapping 4 point patches. The guide hairs are splines also. So I guess they show up in a wireframe render, too.

If I increased the number of passes in the multipass render, I think a lot of the aliasing would be taken care of. I only did 5 pass in this render.

Jim

Hey Jim, I'm totally lovin the character! I think the fold in the hip area on the dress is just the best. I don't know so simple but so effective.

My only crit from the first image, no the three stacked side by side....

what'shappening with the shoulder? How are you controlling this? It seems like you are just not allwoing any z axis rotation in the joint. Comparing to the latest 3 side by side images.

Anyhows... killer!

Mike Fitz

Thanks Mike and Randy!

Mike, I actually changed the model that's seen in the first image to fix that issue. I added a second bicep bone that will control the roll of the upper arm without messing up the shoulder. I think the results look better in the triple image.

Jim

Thanks!

I usually create groups of areas to texture, such as, face, back of head, palm of hand, back of hand, etc. Then I hide everything except one of the groups and create a new pose, flatten the group and tweak the cp's so there are no overlapping splines, press shift-z to make the flattened area fill the window and do a screen capture. I will open that in an image editor (Photoshop), and crop it to the window size, save it as a targa file and import it into A:M, which I left open with the pose window as it was. I create a new decal and choose the targa file I just made and when it appears it should be just about perfectly positioned, adjust if needed. Apply the decal and save your model. Then you go back to Photoshop, save the targa file as a layered Photoshop file with the same name as the targa, but with the .psd extension. Then use the screen capture as a template layer, set to multiply, above the other painting layers you create under it. (I usually adjust the levels of the screen capture so that it is just a white image with black lines.) Then paint away to create the textures. Do a "save as" making it a targa with the same exact name as the original targa file you applied to the flattened group. Render that section to see what it looks like. Go back to Photoshop and make any needed changes. Repeat as neccessary.

For areas that are difficult to decal I use patch images. Create a group, ie. right ear, and drag an image you've imported of a patch of skin to that group. Done.

HTH,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim!

Great work indeed.

I was wondering if i should use AM for my next project, that model sure makes me think hard.

The way porcelain is handled now sure is much better, but i get plack patches where my 5 pointers lies, tried redo them many ways but no success, any suggestions?

hmm, i will have to start posting more to the forum if i want to get rid of that newbie label! :)

Again, love the work, and from your splineage i'd say she'd animate real well, when do we get to see her in action? :)

Gilles

Jim -

I just saw this thread and am now picking my jaw up off the floor. Simply fantastic work. What a character. Heavy congrats!!

I know you're probably a very busy guy but have you thought of doing any tutorials? Modeling and texturing. In fact, take it a step further and I'll bet you could do a training video and I would quickly whip out the plastic. I'm sure others would too. Just a thought.

I'm gonna go look at her again now. My goodness!!!!

Doug

Doug,

Thanks, glad you like her! I have considered doing a tutorial about modeling and texturing, but I don't really do anything original. I probably do it the way everyone else does with endless tweaking and flattening and screen captures and all.

But I think there are *three* equally important parts to rendering good 3D models. Modeling, texturing and lighting. If any of those areas are weak the whole image suffers. I tend to do dozens of progresive and final renders trying to find the right lighting set up. But I only show the ones I like. :P

And thanks agin, Gilles.

Jim

No! Do a tutorial! I went to your website to find something and all I could find was some wireframes- not how you put them together. I would pay a billion dollars- well, that is if I wasn't broke- to do that kind of stuff- especially texturing. I'm stumbling around in the dark with that. And my lighting stinks! :huh: Or at least come up with some more pointers.

How was it that you were able to have your guides crisscross like you did on the sides of the head above the ears? It seems like the program wouldn't enjoy that very much at all.

-Andrew

Wow, I can't believe that I missed this one! Amazing work as usual Jim. Glad to see that she is maintaining her demeanour and looking lovely as ever.:wub: This photo.. err I mean render shows of her stylized features more. If only there was a way to get faster and smoother soft-shadows.

Andrew, I will *think* about doing a tutorial on texturing, but most of the work I do will be in Photoshop not A:M, since I rarely use materials for textures. They render slower and aren't as controllable as a hand drawn decal.

The ability of materials to be resolution independent is important to many people. But I rarely will have a such an extreme close up that I need to show pores of the characters skin. I think trying to be so photorealistic is a hindrance to being creative and getting anything done.

So if I did a tutorial, some people might be surprised (even disappointed?) how little detail I put in my textures.

Hey Gilles, I don't know how I missed your renders of Jane earlier, but it helps me see that my modeling has improved a little bit.

Thanks,

Jim