Hash, Inc. Forums

The Art of Animation:Master

• Admin

Welcome to the Art of Animation:Master!

Did you know you can get credit for completing the exercises in The Art of Animation:Master?

There are many benefits of certification. They include:

- Your very own personalized certificate

- Eligibility to work on Hash Inc's movie projects

- Qualification for the A:M Community's mentorship program

- Cool prizes! (For instance, you are automatically enrolled for a chance at a free upgrade *every* year)

- You learn with others while comparing notes along the way

- You'll have the benefit of knowing other TAoA:M Alumni that you can collaborate with in future projects

...all this and more.

Now you can even get involved in the making of a feature film!

See the Hash Movie Project for more details.

Not only can you learn while making a movie. You can get paid to do it!

So, what are you waiting for?

Lets get started.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Completing the Exercises

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When posting your exercises we'll need the following information:

Name: (As you want it to appear on the certificate)

Exercise Completed: (Example: Exercise 1)

Post the results of your work in the New Users Forum under the specific exercise topic.

Date Completed: (Self Explanatory)

Instructor: (If any)

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: (Optional but certainly appreciated)

Certificate images are subject to change without notice.

Your moderators and others in the forum volunteer their time to aid in your enjoyment and usage of Animation:Master. There may be times when they cannot respond to your queries. Ask around though... that's not very likely.

Everyone is invited to participate in the process whether completing the exercises or helping others to work through them. One of the best ways to learn animation is to teach your skill to others.

Last but not least... Have Fun! :)

Click here to begin with Exercise 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Art of Animation:Master Index

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Art of Animation Master Part I: Animation

ANYONE CAN ANIMATE

1 - You're the Director

2 - A Chorus Line

3 - Move It

4 - It's a Pitch

5 - Take a Walk

6 - The Door's Stuck

7 - Can You Say That?

The Art of Animation Master Part II: Modeling

MODELING TAKES TALENT

8 - Customized Car

9 - Flower Power

10 - FW-190 Fighter

11 - Giraffe (No available video tutorial)

12 - Lip Poses

13 - Show Some Backbone (Adding a Skeleton)

The Art of Animation Master Part III: Technical Directors Training

TECHNICAL DIRECTORS TRAINING

14 - Playing Marble (Materials)

15 - Eat My Dust (Volumetrics)

16 - Smoke, Wind, and Fire (Particles)

17 - Cosmic Bowling (Dynamics)

18 - Waving the Flag (Cloth)

19 - Flying South (Flocks)

Of specific interest to older A:M Users will be two new exercises.

Exercise 11.5: Make a Face - Colin Freeman's Cooper Face building tutorial.

Exercise 20: It's Getting a Bit Hairy - Kevin Waldron's Wookie Hair tutorial

For these new exercises you'll want to download the project data that goes with the exercise:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am...wManualData.zip 5.1MB

To copy these files to your harddrive [Right Click] on the above links and select "Save Target As".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online Manual

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am2007/TAOAM2007.pdf 24.6MB

There have been several versions of The Art of Animation:Master.

There are also several editions available in other languages.

Languages:

There are both Japanese and Spanish versions of The Art of Animation:Master available. Look for them via the Hash FTP and Artware (Japan) sites.

Here is where they can currently be located via FTP:

Spanish and Japanese Art of Animation:Master Manuals

Notes on foreign language editions:

- The Japanese edition is quite different in both format and content. Although very little information is added... much is removed.

Spanish

- The Spanish edition (on the Hash Inc FTP) is largely a straightforward translation from english to spanish.

And check out these!

Resources for A:M in Spanish *This site is so cool I wish I spoke Spanish! Lots of videos converted too. :)

- The French translation seems to be password protected but several tutorials from it are freely available. I'd imagine all it would take to get access to the full French edition of TAOA:M would be an email to the author stating your request for access. Find these here: French translation

*A special thanks to those who contributed their time and talent to translate. Arigato and Gracias!

Uploading files/attachments

How to screen capture and upload images to the A:M Forum

Note: The forum limits the size of your attachment (1MB should be your goal). You'll want to consider size of any animation or image when posting. For larger quality animation you may want to investigate a personal website. From your post you'll be able to link to the files.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

Lest anyone think I've forgotten about TAoA:M graduates heres an update:

I've modified the certificate a little.

I'm hoping it will meet with your approval.

I am especially seeking the approval of Linda Bridges and Kurt Lange as I'm hoping to use some of their imagery for this session. I've taken some liberties with the images to make them fit.

With approval, the top of the certificate will feature Kurt's "Can You Say That?" sequential lipsync while the bottom will feature Linda's "The Door's Stuck". My apologies if you can't recognize your work! It's all you though just cropped and resampled or inverted.

As always each certificate will be personalized with imagery from your exercises.

If it's not good enough... lets keep working on it to make it better!

Stay tuned for the recent graduates of The Art of Animation:Master.

Rodney

New_Certificate__Nov_05_.jpg

Rodney,

Does one have to go in the order of the exercises in the TAoAM?

I thought if its possiable Id like to use the C-130 for the aircraft modeling exersise. Also not sure if Ill ever finish it either...LOL.....or when I might do the other exercises....I have too much fun goofing....

It is a nice looking certificate you have there....:)

Michael

• Admin

Michael,

While it is recommended you complete the exercises in sequence they can be completed in any order.

The benefit to doing exercises in order is that they are forumulated in a building block style; what you learn in one exercise will generally help you in the next.

Having said that it is quite okay to jump around as you feel the need.

Rodney

P.S. Your C130 is more than adequate to fulfill the requirement but you'll want to at least read the chapter and view the video. There are often tips and suggestions that will be missed otherwise. If you see some aspect of the exercise that you feel might enhance your model you could always add that in.

Thanks for the info Rodney, I don't see how you have the time to do all that you do here on the forum, etc.

Oh, Ive watched every video related to the TAoAM and others like Tech Talk series and other purchase tutorial movies, well actually Ive watched them all several times, but most of the material tought doesnt seem to stick in the old noggin...LOL....Ive dones a few of the exercises also especially the mech ones like the aircraft, and did the girrafe SP? one I think when I first got AM a few years back, but those files are long gone.

Anyway, I think its a great thing your doing here on the forum, and elsewhere..... :)

Michael

• Admin

Thanks for the kind words Michael!

Concerning the A:M learning curve you said:

most of the material tought doesnt seem to stick in the old noggin...

Entirely too true. That is certainly the case with me.

I forget some of the most simple things sometimes its almost embarrassing.

I think that is one reason why Hash Inc's forum is such a great place to visit.

It refreshes that information in our minds and reminds us of the possibilities.

Rodney

• Admin
In Regards to your request for permission to use the render I submitted for the "can you say that" exercise in the certificate, yes you have my permission to us it in the certificate. Thanks.

No Sir... Thank YOU! :)

• 2 months later...
  • Admin
Do you have to be enrolled in a school?

Can you get one for doing the exercises on your own, without an instructor?

I would be proud to hang that on my wall.

No school required.

You certainly can strike out on your own. Just join right in the fun! :)

Say Rodney,

I don't have a web site set up for now.

Do we have to upload a link, or can we use an animated gif file?

My mov files are quite large,the gif files are about 512kb.

I have done the exercise once,but I did not keep any of the renders.

Let me know how you want them.

So it is written,so shall it be done.

• Admin

Knockwood,

What Robert said.

There are things you can do to limit file size.

You can also compress the files using a utility like Winzip (or Mac equivalent).

Some of the folks that have completed exercises have left their suggestions in the exercise area.

Sorensen 3 seems to be a popular codec (codec short for compression/decompression for the uninitiated)

You will want to investigate webspace as being an animator in the digital age will often require access to file storage where you can at least temporarily store files. Quite often the company you get internet access from will provide some free space for non-commercial use.

The New Users Forum can accept files up to 2MB for the purpose of sharing exercise animation.

I recommend targeting 1MB as the size to work toward. This is actually a constraint that will help you to better manage your file sizes for later projects. So in a way file size restriction in the forum is a good thing.

When in doubt you can also email files to me directly for review. You won't get the public commentary you might be looking for but it is one option. In such cases I might grab a still frame from the animation and post that for others to see in the forum.

Finally, there are other A:M Users that can point you toward internet storage space.

One word of caution however. You get what you pay for. If you are only interested in free internet storage keep in mind that you will often pass on the 'cost' to the viewer who must find a way to view your files.

We'll keep working on this...

Rodney

• Admin

Okay... The following are sitting in the hopper and I need to get archived and/or moved out:

James A. Owens (Completed)

John Kuepper (Completed)

Chris Wheeler (Completed)

Marc Vancouillie *

Kurt Lange *

Douglas Karpp *

Jody Krivohlavek *

Ross Klettke *

Robert-Jank *

*I should be able to finalize these tomorrow. Most only need 1 image and the completion date added. If you don't see your name above and I haven't sent you your certificate... harrass me! You have my permission.

Chris (Wheeler),

Attached please find your certificate. I've taken a few liberties and combined a few of your exercise images.

Hope that still works for you. Let me know if you need anything changed.

Great work on TAoA:M and best of everything in Bootcamp, TWO and beyond!

Chris_Wheeler_Certificate__Nov_05_.pdf

• Admin

Its gonna be a little while.

My laptop (w/ v12 A:M CD) is Missing in Action.

If not stolen I should hopefully have it back soon.

The computer isn't such a great loss (certificates notwithstanding) but the A:M CD and the ability to run A:M..... aaaarrrrghh.

Now the bad news.

If I can't get it back it'll probably be about a two month wait.

I won't even be able to open A:M (or CorelDraw-the program I put the certs together with) on these other computers.

Yup. Sucks to be me. :(

My apologies for the continuing delay.

I might be able to put together a temporary certificate using a little ingenuity and available software.

Today isn't going so great... but tomorrow (so I hear) will be better.

Rodney

• Admin
matter of fact seems every one is asleep, to me doesnt seem like any one has posted anything for the past couple of days!

Posting is often slow here. But it goes in cycles.

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time here lately myself.

I'm am always glad to see everyone encourage each other though.

Its always more fun to work through TAoA:M with others

• Admin

...and finally some good news!

My laptop is recovered.

Apparently it was delivered to the wrong place where it sat until someone redelivered it to where I was temporarily staying. Well almost. They delivered it next door where it sat some more.

Looks like all is still intact.

I was sure it ran faster before though. This thing is SLOW!

Back to the certificates! :)

After going through some exercises, I've been thinking about the 'certification' part. There doesn't seem to be any pass/fail aspect to the exercises, and hypothetically I could submit a black still for each exercise, and say I've done them. Also, the feeling of accomplishment would certainly be hightened if, after a failed attempt, the passing "thumb up" was finally given.

Just a random drive-by thought.

• Admin

Mike wrote:

There doesn't seem to be any pass/fail aspect to the exercises, and hypothetically I could submit a black still for each exercise, and say I've done them.

Yes, hypothetically you could do this.

However, your certificate would then have black circles on them (and be even more black in the next version of the certificate...still in the works).

I have something in the works that hopefully will evolve into a better way of submitting exercises.

I won't reveal all the details yet as the idea is barely even in my head much less moving toward reality.

Think TAoA:M w/ SVN and you might see where it could be heading...

Also, the feeling of accomplishment would certainly be hightened if, after a failed attempt, the passing "thumb up" was finally given.

Just a random drive-by thought.

I agree.

There are (at least) two problems with the current scheme of things certification wise with TAoA:M.

1) Criteria for GO/NO GO (graduating to the next exercise)

2) Certifier Bottleneck (right now only one person is certifying completion of TAoA:M and he can't even download a movie to view it).

These are temporary problems which with everyone's input and assistance will be fixed in the future.

Failure isn't a problem... we learn from our shortfalls and mistakes. What we learn from these shortfalls can be very valuable.

The primary GO factor in certification of TAoA:M exercises right now is mearly posting the exercise.

If you can't post an example from your exercise then... NO GO. ;)

Exercise #1 can be faked quite easily... not so with most of the other exercises.

...and then again there is the certificate which will have your faked images on them.

If people go through life cheating the system they can still be successful. They just have to live with themselves. Those that put effort into the exercises should be rewarded and I think they will be each time they look at their certificate as the work shown therein will be their own.

Good feedback Mike!

Thanks for validating these shortfalls.

Just the feedback we need to hear to keep improving TAoA:M.

Rodney

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Since we are getting back on track with TAoA:M certification and there is growing interest from some quarters about revisiting the exercises I want to explore that aspect a bit more.

Animation is a repetative process as is learning also.

Animation can be fun but its also a lot of work too.

How to balance all the competing aspects?

For a second pass through TAoA:M I'd like to recommend the following path to success.

Then when you've finished TAoA:M you've got your project completed as well.

Recommended path to success (you'd do it in this order anyway right?) ;)

Step I

Complete The Art of Animation:Master

Use the supplied materials, projects and characters for this. Don't get too distracted by personal projects.

Dig in and learn A:M.

Step II

Complete Animation Bootcamp

Animate! Animate! Animate! (Use of the supplied resources highly recommended)

Step III

Get involved in community Projects and put into practice what you've learned (TWO and other community apprenticeship opportunities being the premiere examples)

Step IV

Reaccomplish The Art of Animation:Master (we'll call this TAoA:M Phase II for now)

This time place an emphasis on using your own characters, sets and animation to produce a short film of your own. Here is how it might break down:

ANYONE CAN ANIMATE

1 - You're the Director (Secure your project. Complete the initial script, storyboard and/or animatic for your film)

2 - A Chorus Line (Resource your project. Identify and collect characters, sets, voice tracks and music)

3 - Move It (Establish character personalities and key mannerisms that serve the story)

4 - It's a Pitch (Block key actions

5 - Take a Walk

6 - The Door's Stuck

7 - Can You Say That? (Add lipsync and complete your secondary and tertiary animation)

MODELING TAKES TALENT

8 - Customized Car (Identify missing props and modify available resources as needed)

9 - Flower Power (Create and rig props that require animation)

10 - FW-190 Fighter (Test and Decal your props)

11 - Giraffe (Refine characters and finish decaling)

12 - Lip Poses (Rig and test primary characters who require lipsync)

13 - Show Some Backbone (Finalize character rigging and test)

TECHNICAL DIRECTORS TRAINING

14 - Playing Marble (Finalize all Coloring, Textures and Materials)

15 - Eat My Dust (Identify Special Effects requirements. Locate and research resources)

16 - Smoke, Wind, and Fire (Complete SFX)

17 - Cosmic Bowling (Dynamics Pass)

18 - Waving the Flag (Cloth Passs)

19 - Flying South (Flocks)

20 - Its getting Hairy (Hair Pass)

*Note that all of these exercises are conducted more or less simultaneously in Phase II.

Doing them in order the first time through is highly recommended.

So there you have it. A skeleton of a plan.

Of course this trajectory for success is still being refined.

Whether you call this 'new phase' TAoA:M or not is not so much a concern. You can tailor this process to fit your specific needs.

I want to see your projects become reality. I'm committed to that cause.

Your input into how we as a community can make the process even better is appreicated. :)

Best,

Rodney

• Admin

Thanks Dhar (especially for that 'great minds' thing... LOL )

Lots of refining to do on the general concepts and ultimately Hash Inc has their veto power.

Its really their training program.

On the community side of things we can do really great things as a group that none of us can do alone.

I can't think of any reason Hash Inc. would veto such a program. I see it more of a selling point for A:M, that not only is the customer sold an animation program, and not only are there lessons on how to use the program, but phase II would even make the amature animator better and help him produce quality work without having to attend a college to learn the program (ala 3DS & Maya).

One thing I'd wish for in phase II is a chapter dedicated to sound recording (recommend software, hardware etc..)

I'll see you at the Bash and we can talk some more.

• Admin
One thing I'd wish for in phase II is a chapter dedicated to sound recording (recommend software, hardware etc..)

I'll see you at the Bash and we can talk some more.

Most definitely to both.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Rodney,

I'm starting to try for the certificates to hopefully be able to participate in the "TWO" movie.

I've already done a few of the execises before but I didn't do the "POSE" one. I did a version of it last night that's not exactly as the assignment was given. In other words I improvised...a lot! B)

I was talking to my brother this morning and he said that he thought that I'm not taking the right approach because if I can prove myself able to work on the "Two" movie, I'm giving the impression that I do my own thing and won't follow instructions (which is absolutely not the case).

I thought the exercises were designed to show your skill and understanding of the program so I felt the "POSE" exercise could be juiced up a bit.

I created an animation that came out really cool based on the "POSE" exercise. I'll post it as soon as I get home. My question is, IS this OK to do?

Jeetman

Jeetman,

The point to the TAoA:M is not to show that you can just follow directions. Several people on the forum have put their own touches on the exercises when they were going for the certificate. Don't look at the tutorials as "Set in Stone", you are encouraged to make your exercises your own and to express yourself. I mean after all; that's what animation is all about.

That's what I figured Leo but I wanted to make sure.

One more question, What is the max file size you can attach? I tried to attach my finished animation (4 meg) but it kinda got hung up so now I'm trying to shrink the file size the best I can while still trying to maintain as much of the integrity of the animation as I can.

Jeetman

I am not sure that there is a limit as to how big a file size you can load, but I suggest trying to keep it small or loading onto a site somewhere for us to view.

I was able to decrease the file size and still maintain a lot of the integrity. When you get a chance, please check it out and let me know what you think.

I posted two in the Exercise 1: "You're the Director" thread. The first is the mov file the second is a jpg.

Jeetman

• Admin

I'm feeling a bit chatty tonight and have launched into TAoA:M for the evening.

Hopefully this means certificates will be worked on and progress will be made in further charting our path to success.

It became very apparent to me at Hash Bash (more so than it was before) that 'Tin Woodman of Oz' is a unique opportunity not to be missed. There aren't many projects where you can work on a feature film like TWO. So a little refinement to the path if I may. For lack of a better term I'll call it, '1 - TWO - 3'.

Step 1

Complete 'The Art of Animation:Master' and 'Animation Bootcamp'

Step TWO

Get involved in 'The Tin Woodman of Oz'

Step 3

Complete your own personal project

Now the best part of this plan is that you don't have to do them in strict order. (There are a few caveats to this) You can target those areas that work best for you and interest you the most.

I've often said 'you can do 3 things easier than 1. This process is a pretty good example of that principle. What you do is find those things in common in all 3 Steps and place your focus on them first.

Through the overlap of compatible elements you progress in all 3 areas simultaneously... saving time and effort.

Why not go ahead and work on more projects? Work on 4 or even 20? Three projects seem to the the optimum number. When you exceed that all projects tend to suffer as common ground and focus is easily lost.

So, as you work through TAoA:M think about how things apply to your own projects, what elements are you the most interested in? What are you least interested in? You may want to tackle the least favorite first if you know it'll be an element in your own project.

Read the TWO Script. What parts of script have elements that mirror those in TAoA:M... in Bootcamp... and in your own project? Put some attention in those areas and concentrate. Dig deep... make mistakes... learn!

As you progress through Bootcamp consider the characters of TWO and refine their personalities in your mind. Explore the elements of your own project that mirror the experiences you gain during each exercise.

Refine your own project at every step of the way and make it work better for you.

I can no longer identify with that old saying 'animation is hard' as true as that statement may be.

I see animation as a whole lot of fun.

'Tis as easy as 1, TWO, 3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am working on exercise 7: Can you say that?

When I type the secret into the dope sheet, I get a message: "Dictionary modified or index file missing. Recreating Index file."

It then appears to be recreating the file, but keeps repeating this message, over and over. I have to hit CTL/ALT/DEL to get out of the program. :blink:

How to resolve this?

JohnnyB

• Admin

We can diagnose the problem step by step. The folks that'll know best are at support@hash.com.

Here's what I suggest.

Check to make sure the file 'dictionary.dic' is in the same folder as 'master.exe'.

Generally this will of the order:

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V13.0

If its missing you can find the 'dictionary.dic' file on your A:M CD.

Last time I saw the file it could be found in:

E:/Setup/Windows/

Assuming your CD Drive is E of course.

We can diagnose the problem step by step. The folks that'll know best are at support@hash.com.

Here's what I suggest.

Check to make sure the file 'dictionary.dic' is in the same folder as 'master.exe'.

Generally this will of the order:

C:\Program Files\Hash Inc\V13.0

If its missing you can find the 'dictionary.dic' file on your A:M CD.

Last time I saw the file it could be found in:

E:/Setup/Windows/

Assuming your CD Drive is E of course.

Thank you!

The file was on my hard drive in the same folder as master.exe, but I copied and pasted the file from the CD anyway, and KeeKat took to it fine!

My hard drive file must have gotten corrupted somehow.

Having you around the place sure makes life easier. :)

Johnnyb

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

There is a opportunity that arrives rather regularly in the New Users Forum I'd like to make sure new users are aware of; its the opportunity to get involved with others just like you.

Each time someone new starts on TAoA:M provides that opportunity.

Interests may vary but one thing we all have in common is that we have chosen Animation:Master to create 3D on our computers.

Each time someone new begins The Art of Animation:Master here in the forum is an opportunity to get involved, meet people of like mind and interest and work toward a better understanding of the tools you have at your disposal. Feel free to post a word or two of encouragement. The people you take the time to encourage will often become the greatest source of encouragement to you along the way.

I hope everyone will take advantage of this opportunity to make new friends, learn A:M and experience what being part of the A:M Community is all about.

Apprehensive? No need to be... you get to set you're own level of involvement.

Ambitious? Enthusiasm is contagious. Getting involved with with others shortens the learning curve.

Apt to teach? Others can always use the support.

Shy? Sneak into TAoA:M with someone else!

In the end its just completing a manual and once you've finished it.... you're done.

Ah but what you'll learn along the way. You'll be set for success in ways you never imagined.

Best of all are the people you meet and the memories you make.

These my friends are the experiences that last a lifetime.

So, watch for that next person to join in TAoA:M.

If the opportunity seems right for you... pounce on it!

See you in TAoA:M.

Rodney

• 1 month later...
  • Admin
I've encountered a wierd problem with A:M.

No matter how long I set length to, it stops at 01:00. The timeline is shaded to the right of 01:00.

I reset to default and it didn't help. What's happening

Not sure here but you can check other areas to make sure they aren't restricting the length.

If you are rendering and the problem persists check the camera. What is the Range set to?

The Choreography itself has a Range setting.

If you haven't Right Clicked on the Range and adjusted there that might work too.