Hash, Inc. Forums

The Art of Animation:Master

I get the same trouble... But I got around it by typing in how many frames I wanted in the box at the bottom, and then hitting the force Keyframe button to the left of it. Then I went back to the start point of where I was animating and continued...

I don't know if its correct for you, as I'm working with rotoscoped backgrounds and dynamics. But it worked for me...

:blink:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grabbing the grey line and dragging it to the right works for the rest of the session, but the next time I open the project, it's back to 01:00 even though the length is set at 20:00.

Rodney- I can't find a range setting for the camera, but the length setting for the choreography is set to 20:00. What could I have done that's caused this? :huh:

JohnnyB

It seems to have stopped doing it. I think it's recovered. :D

Rodney,

Which is the prefered approach for TAoA:M (the Tao of A:M?) submissions?

a. Open a thread such as "Wilson's TAoA:M Exercises" and stick them in there

b. Find a thread for Exercise X and post that particular exercise there

c. Open a thread for each exercise as I do them

d. Randomly scatter submittals throughout the New User or TAoA:M space

I've seen it done using all of the above methods. Just like to get the official plan.

• Admin
Rodney,

Which is the prefered approach for TAoA:M (the Tao of A:M?) submissions?

a. Open a thread such as "Wilson's TAoA:M Exercises" and stick them in there

b. Find a thread for Exercise X and post that particular exercise there

c. Open a thread for each exercise as I do them

d. Randomly scatter submittals throughout the New User or TAoA:M space

I've seen it done using all of the above methods. Just like to get the official plan.

We've experimented (twice) with having people post ala Animation Bootcamp (ABC) in one thread that contains all the exercises. It hasn't really seemed to catch on.

It works pretty well for ABC but hasn't for TaoA:M.

Too many scattered posts and those who might care to look get confused.

While all options are available the preferred method is to add the exercise to the designated exercise thread.

This allows others that are working through the exercises to post, comment and support you in the effort.

Note: I can usually move posts from topic to topic so you don't have to do that yourself.

Just point me in the right direction.

There is a Gallery in the works that collects images from each of the exercises into one place.

I'll keep working that angle to spotlight everyone's work.

So... post as you like but consider the preferred method.

Now in ABC that's a different story... you've gotta fight your way through Bootcamp in a topic all your own.

It's been almost five years since I started using AM (before I use 3ds and maya). I haven't really looked in the book since then but I'd really like one of those certificates. I guess I'll start from the beginning and work my way through. :D

• Admin
It's been almost five years since I started using AM (before I use 3ds and maya). I haven't really looked in the book since then but I'd really like one of those certificates. I guess I'll start from the beginning and work my way through.

It'll be great to have you with us.

We've got a new certificate in the works right now.

I think/hope everyone will be pleased.

While all options are available the preferred method is to add the exercise to the designated exercise thread.

This allows others that are working through the exercises to post, comment and support you in the effort.

I'm a ways from Boot Camp yet. Anyway, you may want to consider pinning the exercise topics to make them easier to get to and a bit more obvious. Just a thought.

• Admin
I'm a ways from Boot Camp yet. Anyway, you may want to consider pinning the exercise topics to make them easier to get to and a bit more obvious. Just a thought.

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

Pinning all the exercises was tried way back in the day.

Having over 20 pinned topics though... think about it!

So a compromise was made.

The sections of TaoA:M are pinned and links are all over the place.

The following is the standardized Index you'll see throughout the New Users Forum.

A similar Index is on the video page.

If and when a TaoA:M Gallery is solidified there'll be one there too.

The Art of Animation Master Part I: Animation

ANYONE CAN ANIMATE *Pinned Topic*

1 - You're the Director

2 - A Chorus Line

3 - Move It

4 - It's a Pitch

5 - Take a Walk

6 - The Door's Stuck

7 - Can You Say That?

The Art of Animation Master Part II: Modeling

MODELING TAKES TALENT *Pinned Topic*

8 - Customized Car

9 - Flower Power

10 - FW-190 Fighter

11 - Giraffe (No available video tutorial)

12 - Lip Poses

13 - Show Some Backbone (Adding a Skeleton)

The Art of Animation Master Part III: Technical Directors Training

TECHNICAL DIRECTORS TRAINING *Pinned Topic*

14 - Playing Marble (Materials)

15 - Eat My Dust (Volumetrics)

16 - Smoke, Wind, and Fire (Particles)

17 - Cosmic Bowling (Dynamics)

18 - Waving the Flag (Cloth)

19 - Flying South (Flocks)

As people contribute to the individual exercises those pop up toward the top of the New Users Forum.

The more people that get involved... the more in view the exercises.

I think we found a pretty good compromise. What's everyone else think?

We won't settle for just a good compromise though.

Here in the New Users Forum we'll always seek new and better ways to deliver relevant information.

I for one always enjoy the feedback so keep it coming!

Thanks!

Rodney

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a method/thread/whatever, or is it possible to constrain two objects together and animate them as one? For example, to put Knight in a car and have them move together. Or, to put a bottle in rabbits hand and have him drink from it while he walks a path? Or must they be tweened? <_>

JohnnyB

Is there a method/thread/whatever, or is it possible to constrain two objects together and animate them as one? For example, to put Knight in a car and have them move together. Or, to put a bottle in rabbits hand and have him drink from it while he walks a path? Or must they be tweened? <_<

JohnnyB

http://www.hash.com/VM/

Towards the bottom of the page, under MISC. watch Constraints & Compensate Mode.

Is there a method/thread/whatever, or is it possible to constrain two objects together and animate them as one? For example, to put Knight in a car and have them move together. Or, to put a bottle in rabbits hand and have him drink from it while he walks a path? Or must they be tweened? <_>

JohnnyB

http://www.hash.com/VM/

Towards the bottom of the page, under MISC. watch Constraints & Compensate Mode.

Wow Dhar! Was that an eye opener. :o Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! (When I think of the time I've wasted trying to figure that out myself. Yikes!)

(Oops! Change time wasted to time spent.) :rolleyes:

• Admin

Johnny,

There is a new trick in the A:M arsenal now with the addition of Choreography Groups.

This is in addition to standard constraints as described in the Constraints and Compensation tutorial Dhar pointed to of course. Those are still very valuable.

Within a Choreography we can now Group Objects, thereby creating relationships between those objects.

While I haven't looked under the hood of this great feature I believe at its basic level it creates the basic contraints (Tranlate to, Orient Like) simply by adding those objects to a common Group. Rename that group and its easier to organize and control too.

Once Grouped you can position, move, rotate, orient and otherwise animate objects together simple but effective ways.

Johnny,

There is a new trick in the A:M arsenal now with the addition of Choreography Groups.

This is in addition to standard constraints as described in the Constraints and Compensation tutorial Dhar pointed to of course. Those are still very valuable.

Within a Choreography we can now Group Objects, thereby creating relationships between those objects.

While I haven't looked under the hood of this great feature I believe at its basic level it creates the basic contraints (Tranlate to, Orient Like) simply by adding those objects to a common Group. Rename that group and its easier to organize and control too.

Once Grouped you can position, move, rotate, orient and otherwise animate objects together simple but effective ways.

Cool. How do you use it? I tried drawing a box around them and renaming the resulting group, but no effect.

• Admin
Cool. How do you use it? I tried drawing a box around them and renaming the resulting group, but no effect.

I'm not sure I follow.

You got the Group... and Renamed it right?

If yes... you can move into your timeline and start animating using that Group.

For anything too complicated you'll want to use the constraints.

One other advantage of these groups is that you've already identified what is in the groups so know all you have to do is right click, select your Constraint type and select one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't seem to get the body fur on the wookie to change to the body color.

I click on, for example, the decal for the body front, right click the "Images" folder and pick [ADD IMAGE] then pick "face color" or "body color." In the face or body color Properties dialog, I change "Type" to "other" Right click on Properties Driven and pick [Add Property][DiffuseColor].

The hair guides stay white.

Wassup? :(

JohnnyB

• Admin

John,

I haven't had a chance to break out Exercise 20 and run through it again.

My memory tells me you've missed something simple (isn't that always the case?).

How many decals/stamps do you have controling the hair?

Do you have one for the length and one for the color?

Sorry. I'm behind in Hair technology myself. :(

John,

I haven't had a chance to break out Exercise 20 and run through it again.

My memory tells me you've missed something simple (isn't that always the case?).

How many decals/stamps do you have controling the hair?

Do you have one for the length and one for the color?

Sorry. I'm behind in Hair technology myself. :(

I have 2 emitters short and long in the fur. When I apply diffuse color to the body front it adds the diffuse color to the short emitter. If I add a second diffuse color to the image, it adds it to the short emitter leaving the long emitter white. :unsure:

hello there. just so im clear as i reading up on what discussed so far, to get started with the certification, i need to just do the assigned excercises? so from here i just go to the pinned threads starting with "anyone can animate" and upload once im done? thanks in advance.

• Admin
hello there. just so im clear as i reading up on what discussed so far, to get started with the certification, i need to just do the assigned excercises? so from here i just go to the pinned threads starting with "anyone can animate" and upload once im done? thanks in advance.

Yes. Each Exercise has its own topic where people can add their post.

Ex 11.5 and Ex 20 need to be updated, linked and republished so I've got that on my To Do list.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Now that I've completed each of the exersizes plus 11.5 and 20 what is next to certificate process? :rolleyes:

Actually, this is a good question. I also have gone through all of the exercises in TAOA:M.

I seem to recall a posting at one point regarding which image we would like on the certificate (I think it was from Rodney), but am not totally sure about it.

Thanks...

Al

• Admin
Now that I've completed each of the exersizes plus 11.5 and 20 what is next to certificate process?

Now comes the waitin'. Hopefully not too long though!

I owe about 5 certificates at the moment (I think) and hope to get them put together over this coming New Years break.

There will be an effort from me to recognize those alumni that have completed TaoA:M previously too. Everyone has been very patient with me and I appreciate that. Some times you've gotta be mean though! So if you want your certificate... demand it! After all you've earned it!

No excuses from me for delayed certificates, although I've got plenty useless excuses layin' around.

Keep buggin' me via email (rodney . baker @ gmail . com) until you get what's coming to you.

In 2007 I really want to refocus on TaoA:M with an emphasis of encouragment in participation on the TWO movie.

TWO production won't last forever and it's an opportunity not to be missed! Some will miss it.

For those that don't graduate into the realm of feature film work via TWO at least there will be the certificate to remind them of the good ole days of TaoA:M. I'll do everything I can to recognize the accomplishment. :)

Rodney

• Admin
If I can be of any help, Rodney, just let me know.

Thems' very dangerous words Caroline! :P

I haven't seen the new TaoA:M book for 2007 yet and need to make sure I'm in sync with Hash Inc on the progression of TaoA:M but there are big things coming on line for TaoA:M in 2007 and beyond. Hash Inc knows what they are doing and I'm all about supporting their effort through TaoA:M.

As someone who is working through TaoA:M you are well positioned to know the heart and mind of the A:M User.

The certificate should capture the sense of excitement we get as we set out on our journey into animation. Simplicity is key and yet I'm not ready to sacrifice the personalization of certificates just yet. As the number of alumni increases it may be inevitable that personalized certificates may yield to a standardized one. Is this inevitable? I'd love to get your take on that.

There is more I'd like to say on the matter but as they say, "Actions speak louder than words". I need to get current (and past!) certificates out before anything else.

Thanks for your kind offer and the assistance of everyone here in the New Users Forum. I couldn't do it without you.

Rodney

I trembled as I typed them... :D

I haven't seen a certificate yet, :lol: (still working...) so I don't know just how personalised they are, or how much work/time it takes you to put them out. Do you have a template / script? I don't know that it's inevitable to lose personalization - maybe the alumnus could submit, all at once, what pics should be on the certificate, when they've completed?

I do like the cert though, as it validates the amount of time I can spend on learning - "Can't cook, working towards a certificate...". And, yes, when I get there I'll be excited - but I would probably be excited too if it were a standard cert with just name & date.

• Admin
I haven't seen a certificate yet, (still working...) so I don't know just how personalised they are, or how much work/time it takes you to put them out. Do you have a template / script? I don't know that it's inevitable to lose personalization - maybe the alumnus could submit, all at once, what pics should be on the certificate, when they've completed?

Caroline,

What you say has certainly been considered in the most current certificate.

As the exercises don't specifically set a goal of producing a still for each one in particular format (i.e. JPG image at 200x200 pixels with a name like Ex1.jpg) some of the process must be accomplished manually.

One thing I briefly investigated in 2006 was to create a Gallery to hold alll the exercises images.

The image holders would contain some standard background color until replaced by the exercise image submitted by the student.

Once submitted the images would be available for viewing online.

Once all exercises completed the certificate would be created.

Here is an look at two exploratory gallery pages:

http://www.hash.com/amtutes/TAoAM/BobKoonce/Exercises.htm

http://hash.com/amtutes/TAoAM/JamesGlover/Gallery.htm

Clicking on the image on this one takes you to the Exercise thread here in the forum but links under the image would be better for that. Clicking on the image might bring up a higher quality JPG or movie.

The 'current' certificate has a filmstip theme (subject to modification for 2007).

The filmstip should allow for 20+ exercise images to be on the certificate without it looking too cluttered.

Creating the certificates isn't difficult. Locating, adjusting and 'correcting' is what generally takes the most time.

I try hard to keep the images as originally presented but to get the best possible certificate image I sometimes will remove backgrounds, add more sky etc. to make the image fit. This was absolutely necessary in the old certificate that had circular borders around some of the images. If a plane was pointing the wrong way it might be necessary to flip it. You get the idea...

Creating TaoA:M certificates is a labor of love but it can be really be quite laborious. ;)

I've considered creating a script for CorelDraw to automate some of the work.

Script or no script it's really just of matter of getting busy and getting the certificate done.

Perhaps my biggest concern is sustainability.

I'd like to have something in place that works and won't break easily as changes inevitably occur.

I certainly don't want to create a monster that someone else will have to maintain.

Just more random thoughts to be thrown in the particle fire.

Thanks for your continued interest Caroline!

Your input (all input) is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rodney

Added the 2006 certificate proposal I put together last spring.

2006_candidate.jpg

Edited by Rodney

• Admin
neither did I

I've got you listed Marc, but thanks for the reminder.

I think it was Dhar that said the class of 2006 was outperforming all others.

While I'm not entirely sure that is all true... It's going to be a thrill to put these certificates together! :)

There's been some truly outstanding work posted in 2006.

I'm done apologizing.

I've got no excuses.

Who else is missing their certificate?

neither did I

I've got you listed Marc, but thanks for the reminder.

I think it was Dhar that said the class of 2006 was outperforming all others.

While I'm not entirely sure that is all true... It's going to be a thrill to put these certificates together! :)

There's been some truly outstanding work posted in 2006.

I'm done apologizing.

I've got no excuses.

Who else is missing their certificate?

JohnnyB :lol:

Happy New Year 2007

That certificate looks fabulous - I'd certainly be proud to own one of those if I ever get there! - are you intending to change it again in line with the New 2007 TaoAM?

I don't know Corel, only Photoshop Elements, but I guess it's the same messing around with layers.

So if I can do any Photoshopping, or anything else, just holler.

• Admin
That certificate looks fabulous - I'd certainly be proud to own one of those if I ever get there! - are you intending to change it again in line with the New 2007 TaoAM?

Caroline,

We'll keep on changing it until we get it right! :D

Believe it or not, I haven't seen the new 2007 manual.

Interestingly enough, I usually order my upgrade today!

I'm headed off to work but should get the order placed yet tonight.

I'm really looking forward to that package arriving in the mail.

As an A:M User like everyone else here, this is all the more exciting for me. We get to chart our own destiny. As such you have just as much say in your certificate as I do (probably more!).

They say you can't please every A:M User but here is me tryin'. ;)

Thanks everyone. You guys (and gals!) are swell. :wub:

Maybe I should have birthdays more often? (nah)

Definitely 'nah' for the birthdays. Getting older kind of sucks. For instance, when I was in my early 20's, I had my leg run over by a car. Later that night after a quick check-up in the Emergency Room, I was out partying in the local bars. A few weeks ago, just after I turned 51, I fell off my Yamaha Scooter when I hit a bit of slush on the road. Really minor fall, but I ended up using a cane to help me walk for about a week and half, and my left shoulder still hurts. I was recently diagnosed as being pre-diabetic and high blood pressure and need bi-focals to see. I am losing hair where I want it and growing hair where I don't! And yet, when I look in the mirror, I see that young 20 year old staring back at me. Reminds me of a Benny Hill gag, where one character says "I've got the body of a 20 year old.", and Benny replies, "Well give it back! You're ruining it!"

Anyway, staying young at heart...

Al

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Rodney -

Thanks for all your help through TAoA:M. And special thanks for continuing to kick my butt through ABC! :D. I'll have some updates to post there soon, but I had a quick question. When should we be expecting that delectable AoA:M Certificate? Of course, I understand that you do this out of the goodness of your heart and in your spare time, so there is NO RUSH, I was simply curious (and excited - otherwise I wouldn't be posting this now :P).

Thanks again for your continued help, Rodney! You're fantastic! (butters Rodney up in anticipation of getting the certificate faster.......XD).

- Michael

• Admin

I've replied to Michael's post via email (PM actually).

There are some exciting changes in TaoA:M certification in the works.

If you still haven't decided whether or not TaoA:M is something you'd like to do... trust me... it is. :)

There is no better way to learn the basics of A:M than by working through TaoA:M.

• 1 month later...

Name: Brent Lowrie

Exercise Completed: Exercise 1

Date Completed: March 25, 2007

Instructor: none

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I have been an animator for over 15 years and just started using AM2007. I am learning it so I can use it as my primary 3D animation tool in my new animation studio, Anomaly Animation Studios which I have recently launched. I am currently using 3ds max but will hopefully be switching to AM for many obvious and some perhaps not so obvious reasons. I look forward to working through the exercises and hopefully producing some fun results. I will likely be sticking pretty close to the exercise requirements as my workload luckily does not allow for much experimentation. I hope you enjoy.

Brent