Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Adventure Captain

This is Captain Barnstorm. A new character I created...because I wanted to! He doesn't have a story right now, but I have a few ideas percolating. I'm not entirely done rigging and making poses, but I'm pretty far along. No textures at this point.

The next picture is a few characters from a story idea my wife came up with. If I get it finished it will be in storybook form (hopefully!). I'm very happy with the cow, but the horse is giving me trouble, and I just can't make the duck's wings look right. Bird wings that work right, to me, are nearly unattainable in 3d. I just can't get my brain wrapped around them. Any suggestions from bird modelers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

[attachmentid=10241] [attachmentid=10242] [attachmentid=10243]

post-1081-1129687506_thumb.jpg

post-1081-1129687528_thumb.jpg

post-1081-1129687583_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

St. Exupery lives!

That was my first thought...

I liked the character... thought him a bit...continental..... Then the wonderful stories of St. Ex came to mind... And, your character bears a bit of a resemblance....

Coincidence?

Or Channeling?

you be the judge....

I like him! a lot... I'm a private pilot... all things flying are great! And I want to see him fly the mail over Africa and France and such... Hurry!

You've got a great cartoony style! The pilot charcater is wonderful and the farm scene looks just right for kids.

You don't post often enough. These are very well done. I'd like to see more, especially when you start animating.

Bravo!

Jim

I agree with Jim... they're just great. The pilot is really awesome, and has a lot of "built in" character to him. I really like the look he has, there's something very soothing about the style you have. I think your cow is awesome, and the horse looks really good too. Wings? I don't have a suggestion though the duck does look a bit too penguinish doesn't he? You need to find a way to make the duck have stylized wings, maybe its the lack of feathers, though you'd want to keep feathers a subtle suggestion with that style.

You could always do a Daffy Duck tribute and give the duck arms instead... just a thought. Really nice work!

SL.

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I'll certainly update as soon as I get any animation done with him. I'm very happy with the captain. I managed to keep the style of my sketch better than my models usually do. I'll check the rigging forum for a wing, Trajcedrv. Thanks for the tip. Keep splining!

• Admin

Such a wonderful character!

It's easy to see the animation/storytelling potential in the images you've posted and thinking of the name alone conjures up even more imagery of Captain Barnstorm in animated action.

Bravo!

Rodney

Thanks again for the comments, and pointers on bird wings. I'm going camping this weekend, and my computer isn't coming, so there won't be any updates for a while. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have him finished up completely. I'll try to post a wireframe next week, too. Happy splining!

matt

p.s. Alonso, Here is a link to that project. I entered it in the Mini movie contest #1. Try the direct link near the bottom of the first post.

Thanks again for the comments, and pointers on bird wings.

Heh heh. Actually I meant wings, as in Sopwith Camel. With a name like Barnstormer, and with goggles like that, he must have something hiding in that barn that will give him a lift.

Anyway, Matt, I just wanted to say that this character looks like he has alot of potential.