Hash, Inc. Forums

IK/FK Switch thought...

3DArtZ

Hi guys.

The good news is that it is all working well now. People will really love how this works.

I have attached a project derived from Mike's model, where I rigged the left hand side, and performed some very pathetic animation to demonstrate how it works. You can view this in v12, and probably even v11. It was created in version 13 without using the Force Keyframe button. Simply turning OFF or ON the pose called IK at the appropriate times.

Version 13 will be coming out in Alpha fairly soon, and will be used throughout TWO.

Bob

SimpleLeftArmFKIK.zip

This is so great I can hardly contain myself, thank you Bob. :D

Since the start of this thread I've already changed my rig setup so I no longer have to do any blending, thanks Mike. It just never occurred to me that blending is redundant if you simply switch constraints immediately...... doh!

Can we have this new feature in v12?

Can we have this new feature in v12?

We discussed the version question at length at our meeting this morning, and concluded that this will be only the first of several potentially, problem causing changes which will need to be made for the movie. In order to keep a very stable release piece of software, and be able to change on a dime for the demands of a real production, the TWO project will need its own version of software. Hence 13.0. This version is almost identical to v12.0 right now, but will gradually change more and more as the movie demands. These changes will never be placed in v12.0, since it is a released piece of software.

We will continue to fix bugs in v12.0. Any bugs fixed in v12 will be migrated to v13.0 and all later versions.

Entirely new features, not necessarily for the movie will go into v13.5. Which will be released later. This version will also get any movie features from 13.0.

To use this rig setup in version 11 or 12, the only additional step required, is to Make Keyframe before switching the IK pose ON or OFF.

Bob

Bob, everything you wrote makes perfect sense.

I seperate the poses to keep the circularities from hitting eachother as you are seeing.

If you want to set this up into one pose, have the 2 seperate poses then create one pose that calls to

both the poses at oppostie extremes of the pose but it has to be percentage so that the software is

forced to acknowledge a point in time when both systems are off.

Mike

It is impossible to get a circularity with this ONE pose setup, since you can't turn on both constraints at the same time. The IK constraints, and the "Follow the FK" constraints are mutually exclusive at all times. If you don't want either set ON, you could default the pose to "Not Set". But then you risk the FK and IK setups drifting apart if you animate while in that state. I recommend Picking either FK=ON or OFF, and setting that as the default in the model's user property.

The project that I posted has one small problem. That is, the target NULL sits at the origin in the modeler. So starting out with IK=ON will result in his arm reaching down near his hips. Starting with IK=OFF works fine. I should have placed the null at the same location as the hand bone, then you can default to either IK state.

This is a very simple rig. Controls for the elbow, clavicle etc... will need to be added. It is only to test and demonstrate the automatic Make Keyframe functionality. I will leave the fancy (and sweet BTW) rig creation to you guys on the rigging team.

Thanks for all your work,

Bob

Hi guys.

The good news is that it is all working well now. People will really love how this works.

I have attached a project derived from Mike's model, where I rigged the left hand side, and performed some very pathetic animation to demonstrate how it works. You can view this in v12, and probably even v11. It was created in version 13 without using the Force Keyframe button. Simply turning OFF or ON the pose called IK at the appropriate times.

Version 13 will be coming out in Alpha fairly soon, and will be used throughout TWO.

Bob

Wow, that was fast! This feature will be used a lot.

Bravo

To use this rig setup in version 11 or 12, the only additional step required, is to Make Keyframe before switching the IK pose ON or OFF.

Erm... with which key mode buttons pressed down? Only, when I hit Key Model I get a crash... (A:M reported)

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I think everyone's problems would be fixed if every constraint could automatically bake its values onto the current frame whenever it was triggered from the ON state to the OFF state.

I didn't get a chance to check this out before the v13 alpha ran out but was wondering if you could use the auto keyframe feature for another purpose.

Setting keys for a group of bones.

Say if you set up a pose called "key fingers" by setting up bogus constraints for all the finger bones set at 0 % enforcement. Would it set keys for all the fingers every time you turned it on and off?