Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Null Rotation

Hutch

Why do nulls rotate differently than bones? If I rotate a bone in the x axis the z rotation stays the same all the way around. If I rotate a null in the x axis the roll handle flips from 0 degrees to 180. Is there something I can do to make this stop? I wanted to orient a bone like a null because the null is easier to select but when it flips the z axis it screws everything up. I also need to be able to manipulate the roll handle so locking out the z rotation is not an option.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hutch,

It has to do with the default roll methods that bones and nulls have. Bones default to what's called Z-singularity while nulls default to Y-Poles-Singularity.

If you go into the properties of the null you can change the method.

Under the properties triangle of the null you will see the Roll-Method option, if you now left click on the "Y-Poles-Singularity" that appears to the right of this, you will get a drop down box with the three roll-method options to choose from. Select the Z-Singularity option to make the null rotate like a bone.

Gerard

Thanks Gerard! As long as I rotate the null with the rotate manipulator or from the properties window, Z singularity works just like I wanted. If I try to do a full 360 degree rotation in x axis by moving the tip of the bone, it seems to do a 360 in the Z axis from around -175 to 175 in x. I can live with that though, thanks alot.