Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

HEY New Yorkers! (and New Jerseyites)

dborruso

Hi

I have seen there are some users on this forum that are from New York and our neighboring state New Jersey. I talked to Luckbat and he and I are interested in starting up a NYC A:M user group.

We used to have a NYC user group that was successful in the time it ran. We were even visited and talked to by the guys from Hash when they were in NY! That group has drifted apart a while ago, but now we can make a new group!

Anyone that's close by and interested please post and we will try to get something together.

Thanks All

:rolleyes:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dennis & Mike,

I've heard that you New York guys were out there, this is the first time anyone has voiced it.

I live in New Jersey....Southern New Jersey, I work in Philadelphia.

A little over a year ago a few of us got together in Philadelphia for a user group meeting. We've been trying to make a semi regular thing of it, getting together a few times a year. Our last meeting was in May. I've had pretty good luck getting a location in Philadelphia. It's kind of central to some of our members, although many of the guys come from far away. We have members who drive over an hour (or two) from Maryland, Delaware, NJ and western parts of PA.

I was hoping maybe, if our gang was up for it, we could get the MAAM together some time this Fall. If so would you be interested in coming to one of our meetings? I know it's not the "Big Apple" but you would be more than welcome in our group.

I'm sure I could get a place in center city Philadelphia. We just need to find a time that works for everyone (that's usually the trick).

Let me know what you think.

I just got an email from someone else who would like to be in the group. That's 4 of us. That's a group as far as I'm concerned and I think it will grow. Very Cool!

How would you guys like to aim for a November get together? Maybe we can get more folks by then too.

ddavis. Philadelphia sounds kind of far for me. The gas alone would probably drive me to the poor house. If there was an event that lasted a substantial amount of time or a festival or something I would head out there maybe. But all that driving for a few hours or so of meeting I probably wouldnt really be able to do. If I didnt live on a fixed income it might be easier too. But maybe we will all meet up for a big gathering one day. That would be cool.

Ok guys this is great.

I will try to find out how to make one of those wiki pages on my site for the group if I can. Then we can all post to it with ideas for the group and stuff.

Talk to ya later. :)

New York User Group Wiki is up.

http://3dfrog.com/nyhug/

If anyone want to create an image of something to do with A:M and NYC for the homepage please do and I will put it up. If someone wants to design the wiki homepage let me know.

I haven't tried the features yet, but it looks like there are many. Feel free to try them out.

I won't censor blogs or forums or anything unless they are hit by spammers. But try to keep it fairly clean in there anyway.

Thanks

Yes, hello all new user group potentials,

I'm that "someone else" Dennis referred to in post # 5 and am interested in participating in an AM: group.

I'm in Levittown NY (Central Nassau County) and have had AM 3-4 years now and am very interested in participating in the group.

I'm mostly a 9 to 5er, but, since I'm the boss, I can make the 1st meeting anytime or any day. So, please count me in.

Thanks.

Jerry Angus

(GAngus on the AM board here)

Ok, let's set a date.

I am pretty much free anytime after the 4th of November. What is best for you guys? Weekdays? Weekends? Nights? Days? Let's get an idea when everyone is available and go from there.

Is everyone ok going to Brooklyn?

How long do you guys think a meeting should last?

Well, most of us work during the day, so it'll probably have to be a weeknight or a weekend (though I am sometimes free on random weekdays). I imagine we should plan for at least three hours or so to make it worth everyone's travel time.

I can supply snacks and entertainment (big-screen clips of 3D animation, etc.).

I submit Friday 7:30pm, November 4th, or Saturday noon, November 5th. What say you?

Hi luckbat

I will be coming from long island so I will be taking the LIRR to Penn station. I guess I can catch the A or C from there correct? What are the directions from the station to your place?

Is there a grocery store or something near you where I can pick up something to bring?

Thanks

You can definitely take the AC, but I suggest exiting Penn Station and walking one block over to the F line on 6th (Avenue of the Americas). Both High Station (on the AC line) and York Station (on the F line) are walking distance from my place, but I find it's easier to orient oneself from the York Station exit.

If you click back to my post on page 1, you'll find a map to my apartment that you can examine at your leisure.

Rather than complicating things with a confusing set of directions, I suggest using the following guidelines to find the place (I'll try to post a photo of the building as the date draws nearer):

* As you can see from the map, the Manhattan Bridge (NB: not the Brooklyn Bridge!) passes almost directly over my building. So even if you get hopelessly lost, just orient yourself by the bridge, then follow it to the waterfront.

* My area (DUMBO) is lower than the surrounding area, so if you're walking downhill you're probably going the right way.

I'll be giving out my cell phone number to attendees later, so you'll be able to call me if you get lost.

Lastly, yes there are a couple of grocery stores on the way: Peas & Pickles, at the corner of Washington and Front St, and Bridge Fresh on Jay St. at Water.