Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

DNA Molecule

Julian

I'm making this DNA molecule project available in response to this thread. It's a little tricky to work with: the four nucleotides are different models, with each atom modeled as an eight-patch sphere. There's a separate model for the skeleton of a seven-base pair double helix composed of non-rendering splines, with an action that adds the nucleotides to it as action objects. The choreography contains three instances of the helix stacked on top of each other, with the bottom two instances having "translate to" and "orient like" constraints to the top instance. Basically, this molecule has a strand that repeats the sequence GATTACA three times, together with its complement.

The color scheme is as follows: adenine is green, thymine is red, guanine is blue, cytosine is yellow, deoxyribose is magenta, phosphate is cyan.

DNA_Molecule.zip

post-334-1127788489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Julian

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like the action doesn't open correctly in 12.0h for Mac, but it's okay in v11. I've updated the image attached to the first post with a render made in v11. Would anyone else care to try opening the project?

I can definitely use this model. It opens fine in 12.g++, PC.

From the render you posted, it looks like the bases still aren't paired correctly. I used complementary colors to make the base pairing easier to see: red to green, blue to yellow.

Did not see your reply but tried an idea with the sweeper plugin. I had no idea what a real dna strand just saw a picture and did this simple attempt. In case anyone has sweeper or the demo I'm including the project file.

I think mine is Thom's dna

dna.mov

dna.zip