Hash, Inc. Forums

sophie

jon

it started out with me wanting to make some wings... then someone said 'sphinx'

sophie was conceived!

[attachmentid=9457]

challenges:

• balance between chibi and paedo-creepy (beware baby bratz!)
  • push the stylistic (as little detail/realism as possible)
  • articulated wings (scary!)

wish me luck!

-jon

sophie.jpg

that same someone came up with her version of sophie:

[attachmentid=9564]

i really like the animal feline part and the head , but have a slightly different take on the humanoid torso... still you steal inspiration where you can ' ' )

keeping as low spline as possible... i hope to keep the limbs at 4 splines, but that might be impossible for the rear haunches.

-jon

sophie02.jpg

i need at least a little 'freaky' for a project to interest me... the more the merrier.

hexapods (centaur-ish creatures) are a rare, but popular theme in the furry art i was exposed to in the early 90's. i don't see to much of them these days.

The chibi style is as old as anime, and i'm starting to embrace elements of it in all of my work, but i want to explore my tolerance to extreme chibi with sophie.

people can deal with freaky cute more than just raw freaky. ' ' )

-jon

legs, and a torso... yay!

[attachmentid=9701]

-jon

added: looking at this shot now, i'm happy with the beastly splinage overall, but i think i'll loose one of the belly loops on the torso. the feline booty needs work, but i'll address that when i add the tail.

because the torso is so small, the breasts might seem too much now, but the oversized head will be a much bigger eye-draw.

i really want to add toenails, but that's counter-chibi. i'll be lucky if i can get away with fingers!

sophie3.jpg

a simplified upper humanoid body -- from earlier anime experimentation -- fused with feline body.

[attachmentid=9840]

the head is too spliney, but i'll prolly skip further culling to work on hair and (gulp) wings.

-jon

sophie4.jpg

thanks jake! yer dead on with the head. i already sized it up to around 150% but it could easily be twice again as big.

while i initially fought against the current human/feline body size ratio, i couldn't make a proportionally larger human torso (i.e. smaller cat body) 'work'. let's see if the big-headedness helps. ' ' )

i think i'll have to make the hands plumper too, and prolly remove a finger on each as well.

-jon

Cool model so far, I think she needs more detail on the feet part (It feels that upper and lower half don't match)

my impulse to to usually strip away detail, especially for this project... but i think some toes might be nice, since i'm having a hard time keeping the face and torso as simple as planned.

good advice!

-jon

i'm not too worried by adding detail in the model, since my chosen render style (toon) tends to strip away a lot of the fine bits anyway.

i've been working on sophie's face and hair, prolly to keep from working on the wings:

[attachmentid=9972]

interesting fact: big cats don't have slitted irises. their eyes look very human, 'cept for the color.

-jon

sophie6.jpg

well, matt... chibi is my intended goal, but i guess i'll have to settle for "chibi-influenced".

for those not in the know... here is the chibi-est character i could find:

[attachmentid=9986]

chibi mink from dragon half

i'm not going to get there, but i want sophie to be as cute as possible, and still be something from me.

raw chibi just ain't me. ' ' )

-jon

mink.gif

Hey Jon it's looking good. If you want it more chibi I think you'll have to sacrifice that hourglass figure. I think the human torso needs to be as thick as the front of the feline torso, and come back to about the back of the front legs, without getting any taller. I think you should chibi-fy the feline body also, and make it more kitten like, fatter stockier legs with big feet. Head bigger and arms chubbier and not so long. But then it looks good how it is also, just not super chibi.

By the way why did you decide to use 4 cp rings for the legs instead of more? It looks fine, but I think I would have been chicken to use so few.

-Alonso

i'm officially recanting the super-chibi title for sophie!

i like the way she's turning out, and while chibi was my original goal, i'm happy with meeting it halfway.

the dragon half pic was posted to show i really do understand what chibi is, but that's not where i see this model going.

i appreciate each and every comment here, and ask that you keep it coming... but sophie won't be radically changing from her current form.

she'll have fingers, prolly blobby toes, and will stand a gigantic five heads high. ' ' )

-jon

i found a new way to avoid those wings: color!

[attachmentid=10043]

due to my hatred of decals, i had to tweak the breast and face splines to get the belly color contours right, as well as rework the face to support the obligatory triangle nose.

amarillo: i started with four cuz i didn't think three was possible. ' ' )

a four point circle might not work for her legs either -- especially when i add in some toe shapes -- but i'm sure i could keep them if i believed in bias handles.

sadly, i don't.

what a grouchy ol' spliner i am.

-jon

her arms are looking a little long to me now...

sophie7.jpg

Nice model, I to avoid decals that require flattening.....and there seems to be such a process involved, isolate the group you want decaled flatten it in a pose render a image take it to P.S. etc....maybe now there is a easier way. Still I NEED to learn how to do decaling and properly...I will need to do some on my C-130 aircraft model......

Michael

well, i've had some trouble with applying distortion-free decals myself, and that's part of my aversion.

i've only applied decals directly or to a flattened pose, but the new uv editor might make things easier, if i can wrap my head around it.

i've been thinking about this issue a bit more, and i do think that i could use a simple decal to roughen up the edge of the color change a bit.

i'd want to stick to a simple color change, and i'd like to use alpha to mask a simple white fill.

i'll give it a shot -- but after i get some credible wings!

-jon

This model is turning out quite nicely.

The style looks very polished and consistent throughout the model.

The use and efficiency of splines and patches is exceptional, especially for the four animal legs and white mouth and torso.

Of course, perhaps one day we'll have a 3D paint program for Hash A:M which will make texturing much easier:

Hash A:M 3D Paint Program Thread

don't get me wrong... even if i was a decal master, i tend to like texture-free toony goodness on my characters.

the wing is coming along nicely:

[attachmentid=10159]

it might be a little detail heavy for sophie, but i think the simple coloring will help it fit stylistically.

my biggest fear now is that i'll have to bone every single feather (in a synchronized roll) to get the wing to bow properly at rest.

-jon

wing.jpg

michel,

i'm a better at splining than sketching, but since i'm miserable at drawing, i just have to be a passable modeller to show improvement. ' ' )

progresswise, i had to re-copy/flip/attach the body since attaching the wing to the feline body caused me to seriously rework back and shoulders.

i'll have a new snapshot up tonight, once i reattach the torso.

-jon

now sophie is a manx, but otherwise complete:

[attachmentid=10261]

i need to rework her flanks a bit, as i have too many hooks and 5 point patches fighting amongst themselves, but i'll prolly have to start rigging this weekend.

i hope to skip the 'bone-every-feather' approach, and just create a few bending wing poses instead.

-jon

sophie10.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

so, if you missed the finished product, here she is:

[attachmentid=10692]

i rushed the wing rig, and clipped her butt with one for the final contest render, but i'm very happy with this image, and really do appreciate all the comments on this thread.

thanks!

-jon

jdarkly_sophie.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Most of your model is coming all well enough, but I can't help but point out one thing you should fix. On Sophie's rear legs, you've forgotten to give her some knees. That CAN be easy to overlook in a 4-legged character (especially since you've been trying to keep Sophie a simplified character), but if you're ever going to ANIMATE her (specifically, a walking animation), you'll spot the lack of knees then. I recommend looking at some house cat's rear legs for a guide, although a REAL house cat will have pretty long legs compared to the chibi style. The knees on most 4-legged characters is a VERY short distance from the hip joints, so don't bother trying to get Sophie's rear legs' proportions PERFECT if you're going to chibi-fy them.

On a different (but related) note, here's 2 EXTREMELY chibi pictures of Ayanami Rei (from Neon Genesis Evangelion), so you might want to use HER "extreme chibi-ness" as your guide if you're still trying to make Sophie look EXTRA chibi. & I didn't draw these pictures, I just found them online a long time ago.

[attachmentid=21078]

[attachmentid=21079]

Ayanami_Rei_10.bmp

Ayanami_Rei_9.bmp

thanks for you comments! if you look carefully at the final image, she really does have knees.. her right rear knee is partially visible directly above her foot.

[edit] for her forelegs, technically she's missing the mid-foot articulation that i gave to her rear legs.. but i might lengthen her forepaws a bit and add it... one day.

in the standing pose, her knees not visible at all, just like the chibi rei images you've uploaded.

chibi was the goal, but i'm happy with the results, even if they were only about half way to chibidom.

thanks again!

-jon

sophies_hindquarters.gif