Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Bellagio fountains

markeh

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have a great beginning there. Some suggestions you can take for what its worth. I think you need to work on the camera moves,theyre jerky in places. Also I think it seemed a bit long. Maybe some different camera moves to show the fountains and going to coloured spouts sooner would help that. Wouldn't the water also be displaced when the spouts feel back in the pool? I understand you posted in the showcase area but with some more tweaking this could be an awesome piece.

Wouldn't the water also be displaced when the spouts feel back in the pool?

I thought maybe I would turn on collision and let the sprites bounce a little on the surface to fake a little turbulence, but then the angle of the water shoots varies so greatly that I was afraid some of the sprites would dance around on the surface too long (when shot straight up, they die just below the surface. At an angle, they're still lively for quite some time below the surface.). Any suggestions on making displacement occur as the water hits the pond (easy suggestions)?

What a pleasure.

Loved the patterns you created for the fountains & and the syncing with music - beautiful - also enjoyed the combination of Debussy with Renoir? paintings. Very nicely done with the hand sync, and emoting of the pianist.

Hopefully you will contribute to the TWO movie - there is a fountain there, crying out ... nay ....begging for your water artistry. And yes, I agree some displacement waves on the water would be lovely.

EDIT: - ok I see vanGogh, and chagall? - still lovely

Nancy - the only thing I know for sure is that those are art pieces inside the Bellagio in Las Vegas (I got them off their commercial web site). As far as who did them..........um.........I'm going to go with your answer. I know so little about art that some one could talk me out of thinking that Leornardo Davinci did Mona lisa. He did, didn't he? As far as TWO, I feel I would screw the whole thing up somehow. I went to one pro baseball game in my life. The score ended up being 20 to 4, an extremely embarassing spread. I felt my mere presence had everything to do with it.

Beautiful!!!

I would love to see some background lighting on those buildings, just so it doesn't look like absolutely everyone has left except the girl playing the piano. Also, as already mentioned, some reaction to the water's surface when the particles hit would really help to sell the whole illusion.

Just beautiful though! Thanks so much for posting here.

Nice concept. I agree with most of what been said so far. The water disturbance would be a must, a big must! Especially with those reflections. As for an easy idea of how to do it, I don't know. Personnaly I would try a TGA sequence displacement or bump map, synched with the water, but I wouldn't say it is an easy task. But hey, the hard work would pay off.

I don't really like the environment. As is, I find it disturbing and not really on par with the fountain which is the real focus here. The buildings as silhouette is an interesting idea though.

Lighting could also be less flat overall, and especially in the piano room. Also, I was wondering if it is possible to light the water particle (I'm not sure). If it is, I would also look at this option. Those shows are usually heavily based on the lighting concept. It would support your particle show visually. For exemple, would it be possible to color the water with lighting? (I think now it is done with particle color over time)

As Pengy said, the cam movement is sometime jerky, while the mood is smooth and easy. Are you using a path and target on this? The transition out of the window is also to harsh, almost look as a cut.

Otherwise it is great work. I think it has a lot potential. The water patern look great, kudos on that. Maybe the particle are a bit slow and linear in the movement IMO, but it does the trick. A nice case you have there!

Thankyou for all the kind comments.

I agree with all the corrections. At some point I just say to myself that I have to get this out of my system and then I get lazy(Like that Bellagio building has a very low patch count and is only generally the same design as the real thing. It's windows are populated with the grid material). However, there are some things that I'm challenged at like lighting that will just have to come out in trial and error I suppose. But as far as that water displacement, I'm sort of waiting for Emilio or Anders or Marcel or Stephen Gross (collectively known as the rat pack in my eyes) to come out with some whizy plugin that doesn't quite make a whole movie for you, but makes things like that more easy.

There are three camera cuts and didn't quite know what would make a believable transition from going inside to outside and vice versa. Maybe somehow a distortion as it passes through the window?

What a beautiful concept. This is the kind of work that makes me think "Why didn't I think of that?" I've been to the Bellagio many times, not as a guest, just to use the VIP restrooms in the lobby (gold plated handle faucets, marble floors, huge mirrors), fit for a king.

As impressive as Bellagio's real fountain chor., you did a very nice job choreographing to the choice of music. And adding color to the sprites was a nice touch. As I remember, the fountains at Bellagio were lit with more of a golden color lighting than simple white.

Also, something about the girl's front bangs that didn't move quite right at the end.

Very nice work overall. Present it to Bellagio! Who knows, maybe a paid job will come out of it ;)

I've watched that water show at the Bellagio, and you really recreated the mood wonderfully! I would also like to join Nancy and invite you to help us on the Oz movie--we want to have lots of fountains in the Tin Emporer's palace grounds. Your help would be very much appreciated.

see,

Here we hve a whole bunch of animators looking at the thing.... Me, well, I just ain't there yet... I'm still stuck in the door!

But from a non professional perspective...

Whoa!

Okay, it isn't Pixar stuff, or Disney.. But I don't gve a rat's patootie! I got lost in the thing... Sure, then I wondered "How'd he do dat?" But I don't really care.

Ya know, it's kinda like fireworks... it's just a bunch o' chemicals that make different colors when they burn... there are shape charges and big booms... and whistles and stuff... but that's all just "stuff"... it's packed in paper really tight, and has fuses all in it and it's set off with a computer attached to it... but again... that's all just stuff!

Just let me oooohhh and aaaahhhh and play the music and let me get all lost in it...

Sorry folks, you are probably right in all the critiques... heck, the artist even agrees... but I got to say "I like it alot"... and if you want to improve on it, go ahead... make my day!

But for now it's a keeper, until the upgrade comes out!

And Markeh, don't even sell yourself short.... If they want you to work up a fountain for TWO... then you is goodeough... you is skilled enough, and you aint gonna gypsy pee on it just cause you are part of the process...

DO IT, MAN!

BTW... I REALLY, REALLY LIKE IT! 'kay?

'nuf said!

[...]But as far as that water displacement, I'm sort of waiting for Emilio or Anders or Marcel or Stephen Gross (collectively known as the rat pack in my eyes) to come out with some whizy plugin that doesn't quite make a whole movie for you, but makes things like that more easy.

"The rat pack" LOL and thanks I guess :-)

While waiting for the plugin, I'd be happy to try to make the water displacements for the Oz movie fountains. If you think this sounds interesting, just make a simple test fountain, send the project file to me and I'll see what I can do.