Hash, Inc. Forums

libraries

sbk

Hi,

Could someone post key links about libraries all in one place? I now have several models and materials, and I would like to

add shortcuts with pictures, (I think Rodney posted some icons for materials on the extras CD, or maybe the 2005 CD--not all materials come up....? I saw a screenshot I think, but can't find it now....)

know how to edit .lbr files if I need to (and know why I would) and how to restore them if I mess up.

add some of the stuff from the extras CD. I was able to re-link the main Hash CD library in v.12 (Mac), but as I have the space, I'd like to add some things from the extras CD and get it all organized.

I'm sure there are lots of people who could use this. It could be Pinned and be very useful for people like me with a nagging suspicion that there are easier ways to get at stuff than digging about in directories.

thanks,

Seana

• Admin

Seana,

Like you, I'm definitely interested in collecting and documenting the ins, outs and operation of A:M Libraries.

I'll try to put something together and in the meantime we'll grab some useful links as well.

Thanks for the interest in Libraries!

Rodney

To get us off and running lets examine the basics.

What are A:M Libraries?

A:M Libraries are text files that store the shortcut to Animation:Master's file formats. With Libraries you can collect, organize and manage your projects with ease. You can even leverage Animation:Master's drag and drop capabilities to maximize your workflow.

Files that can be linked include: Projects (prj), Models (mdl), Actions (act), Choreographies (cho), Materials (mat) and HTML (Tutorial) text (tut). Of special note is this last one; Tutorial format (tut) allows HTML to be displayed in Animation:Master.

It is important to note that the file format's Preview Image is not stored in the Library file. The Preview Image is stored in the resource itself which the Library points to.

TALENT LIBRARIES

Animation:Master embraces the concept of a “talent library”. The computer can’t supply the talent for you but it can allow you to put your talent into a library for later, or more importantly, use the talent that is already in the library. As you work on an animation, you will recognize a lot of repetition in your character’s facial expressions, gestures, locomotion, and a thousand other activities, just like we do in real-life. By taking similar actions out of the talent library, you can get a great head start, speeding the animation process and increasing the number of stories you can tell during your career.

Reusable motion is one of the most important concepts of the “talent library”. One might animate a walk on one character and apply it to a different character, or animate a character singing a song and use that lip sync with other characters so they can sing in a chorus. This reusability is one of the foundational backbones of Animation:Master. 

Using Libraries

Libraries provide an easy way of organizing and accessing projects, models, actions, choreographies, materials, sounds, and images.  Several libraries are provided for you with a wide variety of useful objects.  However, you can create and populate your own libraries.  This will help you optimize your work flow, and allow you to spend more time animating, and less time navigating directories.

Adding Objects and Folders to the Library

Before adding objects to the library, you should first select the library tab appropriate for the kind of object you want to add (e.g. Models, Actions, etc.).  You may want to add a folder to group your objects together.  To do this, right-click (Control-click on the Mac) in the Library panel and pick [New][Folder].  You will see a folder appear in the library with the name "New Folder".  Click on the name and hit the key to edit the name.  Rename it to whatever you want (e.g. Christmas Ornaments). 

Adding an object to the library can be done a couple of ways.  One way is to right-click (Control-click on the Mac) in the Library panel and select [New][shortcut].  This will bring up a file dialog and allow you to select the object's file (e.g. MyModel.mdl).  You can also drag and drop a linked model (not an embedded model) from the Objects list in the Project Workspace directly into the Library.

Yet another way is to use a utility that creates the Library file for you.

Creating a Preview Image for a Library Object

If you create a new object, you can associate a preview image with that object and have it appear in the Library.  Otherwise, a default icon will appear for the object.  To create the image, you can render a single image of the object to a file.  The preview will be scaled to a 100x100 pixel square, so a larger image would be overkill.  Make sure the image is square.  It is a good idea to save the image in the same folder as the model so it is easier to distribute.

Make sure the object is listed under Objects in the Project Workspace.  Open the Properties for that model, and crack open "File Info".  Right-click (Control-click on the Mac) the "Preview" field and pick [Assign Preview Image].  Select the image that you created using the file dialog.  Now save the object. 

Now when you add this object to the Library, the image you selected will be used in the Library panel.

- Most of this text from the A:M Technical Reference

Stay tuned for more information, links, tutorials and utilities about A:M Libraries.

Rodney