Hash, Inc. Forums

pre-rigging anotomical parts.

zandoriastudios

Do you pre-rig anotomical parts that you may use in building new models?

I was thinking about it today, and it seems like it would save a lot of time to import body parts that already have weights, smartskin, and rigging. You could hold down CTRL to transform/scale/rotate the mesh at the same time you are moving the part into position. Then just drag the bones into the proper place in the hierarchy.

You could have eye lids already modeled around an eyball, that already have pose siders for blinks.

What do you think would be a natural place to cut up the body, as far a rigs go? I suppose that you could alter the rig you typically install to allow for the hands,feet,head to be added later... Or do you just save different bodies, that are ready for their heads, etc.?

Any thoughts along these lines, and how you approach it would be interesting to consider. B)

How would you import a rigged model into a different rigged model? Like how would you bring a head with blinks and poses into a different model that has the body already set up?

In a way I'm not sure how practical this Dr. Frankenstein style will be because of all the tweaking you would wind up doing. Like if you wanted to import some big beefy arms for a skinny little body type, it would take a lot of tweaking to get the area where they attach to look okay.

It seems like distortion boxes might get us closer to a universal figure that can be adjusted as need. Somehow having the different parts of a figure scalable, like shoulders: hands: forarms: biceps etc. Because with distortion boxes the transitional cp's could be affected as well. But unfortunately I haven't learned how to assign distortion boxes to bones yet (any hints) and I suspect I'll need to learn expressions also to pull this off.

But as for places to slice models up if the Frankenstein style does work out. I can see having big chunks and little chunks. Like having a whole arm so the shoulder, elbow, wrist and fingers, are already worked out. And then also having smaller pieces, just the lower arm, just the upper arm (deltoid & bicep). Torso, then just the upper and lower half. The head may be trickier, I think maybe the bridge of the nose across the cheeks and up for eyes and brow stuff, maybe cheekbones down for all the mouth stuff.

I dont know. It's a neat idea but way beyond my skill level so far.

-Alonso

Body part Library candidates:

1) hands & fingers are a very logical part to have pre-rigged, with poses ready to be attached.

2) Toon type Eyeballs & lids with poses is also another good prerigged part. As long as the poses involve only bones - to orient the eyes, close the lids. Not sure that its feasible for embedded lid type geometry.

3) teeth & tongue

4) floppy dynamically constraint headgear/ hats

For the rest, I usually start with a prerigged, preconstrained model that has the approximate body geometry, basic constraints, poses and go from there. But I tend to do simple body geometry.

Heads/faces are usually baked fresh, unless they are similar enough to tweak cps.

I have imported a more or less fully rigged half of a character into the other half. I have also imported rigged hands. I am not sure how practical or time saving importing parts of a face would be though.

How would you import a rigged model into a different rigged model?

Just right click on the model in the pws and select import and find the model to import.