Hash, Inc. Forums

Feedback

SeanC.

ps. Any ideas on how to render a larger size but keep the MB usage down???

It all depends (well, mostly) on what codec you use. If you're rendering to Quicktime directly from A:M, you can click the "flippy triangle" in the Render panel next to Format. This will bring up "Compression: Set." Click on "Set" and choose your codec. (This is using the "Advanced" render dialog; in the non-advanced version, just click the Compression button.)

Sorenson Video is a good all-around codec, I've found; it requires Quicktime 4 or later. Usually, if you're rendering to 320x240, setting the quality to Maximum and then limiting the data-rate to 40-50 gives a decent quality vs. file-size trade-off. Your mileage may vary...

BTW, I couldn't download your file--Geocities said you'd exceeded your bandwidth and they took it off temporarily.

Zach

P.S. All of the above is what I found on the Mac--I don't know if QT on the PC is any different.

Not to be rude...but does anyone have a reply to the animation??? 10 downloads but no comments. No big deal, just kind of was hoping for some feedback. Dont take this post as an attack, I hope it doesnt come off that way. I just really need some help, im a new user. Thanks for any comments or critiques you may have.

Sean

The silloutte is good on the figure. The movements are smooth, imho, nice and broad "drama-queen" worthy, iykwim.

Definately needs some secondary movement (like you said, it's not in there yet). But overall, it feels "alive" to me and I really like the Hand-wave and head-shake in the begining of the anim.

About the only real crit I can give is to ask you to ditch the stripes on the pants for renders at this size, bit of a distraction and hard to make out just what the legs are really doing.

Tip 1: Watch the weight and where it goes, the 'lean on the cane' pose it not too convincing because the weight doesn't read like it's flowing down into the cane, some of the other moves really don't feel weighty enough either...

Tip 2: Take the nails out of his feet :) until he starts with the karate action his feet are firmly planted (I might have seen some small shift early on but if I have to wonder then it should probably get pushed a little more.)

Tip 3: Specifically when he turns to look behind him, move the arms a bit, bring it up and out to sort of balance him out.

Overall not a bad start, the timing feels very mechanical but that will improve once you start offsetting your keys. Don't be afraid to go a bit wild on the poses and the transitions into them, faster snappier motion is generally more appealing. a couple well defined extreme poses that go: Hold.... Snap..Hold.... Snap..Hold etc.... will serve you better. CRToonMike mentioned the silhouette and while you have kept it clear enough it is pretty static.

hope this is some help,

-David Rogers

These are great critiiques and they really help!!! I noticed the lack of realism in the cane sequence but thanks for making sure it wasnt just me :). Ill remove those stripes for now, i found them distracting too. Keep letting me know what the rest of you think. BTW, your book helpmed me more than anything David. Thanks for that.

Thanks,

Sean

Hi Sean- For a first attempt i like this a lot. While I can see it still needs fine tuning, it's a good start and the moves are largely very lifelike. If you rerender this sequence, pull in a little tighter on the figure so he fills the screen better, he seems a little lost at this scale. When he goes into the karate moves it's pretty funny. How about some Matrix/Crouching Tiger freeze frame chopsocky? I know you were probably just trying out moves, but to see this stuffed shirt Mr. Monopoly turn into a killing machine would be hilarious!

Mr. Gerry you and i are obviously on the same track of thinking :D . I was thinking of having him do one of two things: either the kick/freeze in midair that trinity always does (but ive seen that cpoied too much) or Neo's running around on a pole while kicking smiths in midair (sweet) . I think ill use that move in another animation but i appreaciate the feedback very much!!!

Sean