Hash, Inc. Forums

constraints question

sbk

If I had a little more time today, I'd try and flesh it out for you, but since I don't.... do a search in the forum using "expressions".

You might get the phone book, but a lot of good threads will come up that will help you.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

the phone book --hmm. yes, "facial expressions..." :o gazillions would be the mathematical term for the number of hits.

But I did find a tech talk and one detailed article. Will post back with specifics if this isn't enough to be getting on with. Maybe I'll try a more specific search too.

Hi SBK,

Here's a nice simple way of using an expression to rotate a wheel as it moves (this example can be expanded to the number of wheels required):

Create a ‘root’ bone that points forwards. Put a wheel bone in as a child of the root bone, pointing it along the wheel’s axis. In an action or choreography, select the wheel bone and in it’s properties, go to Transform > Rotate > Z and right click it and select ‘Edit Expression’. Now enter this expression, replacing the ‘d’ with the diameter of the wheel:

(360*..|..|..|..|root.Transform.Translate.Z)/(Pi()*d)

Now when you translate the root bone along it's Z axis, the wheel will rotate in sync.

Hope that helps,

Steve.

Steven Cleary,

bless your little cotton socks :D

Do you really like rhubarb? If you ever come to Nova Scotia I'll make you a pie. With strawberries too if they are in season.

Seana

Deal. :) But, a word to the wise: We get pretty wild Atlantic weather as a rule. But it's the 80 km/h hot fogs that'll do you in. For practice, the RCMP clock them on radar by the airport (I'm joking, but only just.)

And don't be frightened by my avatar. The snake Shelby was the first 3D character I made, for a stop motion piece called the Viper, about a window washer. I just haven't changed it yet.

very best,

S.