Hash, Inc. Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dserfaty

AM and Games

Hi all,

I'm a new user of AM and I intend to use it primarily to produce maps and models for a 3D RPG game I am starting to work on.

I am still at the early stages of the game and I still have a lot to learn about the different kind of maps and models used in 3D games.

I have a few questions for AM users that use it for games:

1) Do you know of any good resources with regards to the latest in maps/models (I only know the Quake 2 format for now)

2) How do you use AM to produce models compatible with whichever format you chose?

3) I did not see any export format to other 3D modelers. I suppose these are probably available as plug-ins?

Many thanks in advance for your answers!

- Dan

Hi,

1) Do you know of any good resources with regards to the latest in maps/models (I only know the Quake 2 format for now)

answer: each engine has its own format, there are a slew of different formats.

2) How do you use AM to produce models compatible with whichever format you chose?

answer: create and animate in AM, than export to direct x than using either ultimate unwrap, or I was just advised of another program in another thread but i can't remember the name it was like fragmotion i think.

3) I did not see any export format to other 3D modelers. I suppose these are probably available as plug-ins?

answer: see above answer.

Hi Triath,

Thanks for your answers. I have a few more questions now.. =)

Would you know where can I get ultimate unwrap? If I export to Direct X, are there other tools then that allow conversion to other standards that you know of? Also do these work on Mac OS X?

I am planning on using this with the Java 3D API which I think can load Wavefront .obj files in standard. In the first phases I'd like to be able to just load these models directly. Do you or anyone know how to convert from AM to that format? Or I guess from Direct X to that format.

Thanks,

- Dan

FYI,

Here is a great source of info for Java & 3D

http://www.j3d.org/

And here is the list of the current known loaders available for the java 3D API:

http://java3d.j3d.org/utilities/loaders.html

I guess this leaves me with one question :D :

What kind of format can we export to from A:M and where can I download the required plug-ins. It's a plus if they work with the Mac OS X version.

Thanks!

- Dan

You can export directly from A:M to .obj.

Your best bet to get into other formats from A:M is Polytrans(google for link).

ultimate unwrap can be found here:

http://www.unwrap3d.com/

ultimate unwrap is great for skinning, and can import direct x models from am, and export in about 30 different formats including wavefront obj.

I think another link in this section names one called fragmotion, but i have not used this software, so I can't comment on its abilities.

Another very good Converter is Deep Exploration from Righthemisphere...

It cant read the nativ A:M-Models, but Okinos Polytrans cant do that neighter...

The *.obj-format and the *.x-format are the best possibilities to get things out of A:M, but you can although export to *.3ds and *.lwo and some others...

I dont have any links to over for that... you should search the forum for "exporter" or something like that.

Maybe you wont need to convert the A:M-File-Format... go to the SDK-Section of the forum and look for "HA:MR" or "The Hammer" oder so... I dont know how far this new SDK-Parts can be used for game-development, but I think it is worth a try.

*Fuchur*

Okay, so I think i've found the easy way into using AM with games written with Java3D.

Right now I export my model from AM to 3DS format then use NCSA's portfolio library to load the scene into a java3D format.

NCSA's library can be downloaded at:

http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/code/index.html

Also, first drafts of Andrew Davison's book on Java games programming is available at:

http://fivedots.coe.psu.ac.th/~ad/jg/

It's really easy to use I was able to load a model in a few lines of code.

For an example, download the book examples code from the first link and look at the file PropManager.java in the FPSShooter3D sample program.

- Dan

Last time I used the 3ds or obj format from AM it only exported geometry no textures or animations. Try to open your exported models in another application and see if the texture information is even there. Thats why you should use Chris's DX exporter it supports textures materials and animations.

Hmmm, that's odd. I exported one file with textures and it did export the textures with it. I have not been able to load it yet in my program to test with the new library though.

As a matter of fact you are right, only the model gets exported. The texture files are exported to the same directory but they don't seem to be associated to the model at all.

Where can I get Chris's DX exported? Sorry if this has been said before.

Thanks,

- Dan

HAMR is not an exporter... first of all, it is a collection of DLLs, which can be connected to other software.

These DLLs will give you the power to show A:M-Models and Choreography in the nativ A:M-Fileformat. That means, everything you can see in the A:M - shadedmode can be shown by the HAMR-Viewer or any other Programm with these DLLs included.

HAMR is very new, so it will take a bit, till somebody builts something like a gameengine or whatever around it.

The first application based on HAMR can be found in the Development-Forum...

It is a standalone HAMR-based Viewer. You can load A:M models with Actions, Sounds materials, etc. into it or you can show Choreographies in it, even if you havent installed A:M.

I think there will be a Webviewer in future, but there is no comment on that till now. But I think Martin was very convinced of the web3d-technologies, so I think there will be one base on the HAMR in future.

Hopefully as powerful (or even more) than Artic Pigs.

Maybe the Arctic-Pigs-Team will built a Web-Viewer based on HAMR, I dont know. So lets hope!

*Fuchur*