Hash, Inc. Forums

Johnny6

agep

Hello everyone.

For the moment Im working on this robot. It's supposed to be an very absent-minded and dumb robot (not evil but just non intelligent). This is also my first serious atempt on doing an rig on a character. I'll in a second upload a few animation tests I have rendered. Comments are welcome :)

First is an 360' of the robot (with an little animation)

Johnny6rotatesmall.mov

Thanks for the comments.

I'm glad that you like the animation, cuz animating is not my strongest side :P Using him in a story might happen, but for the moment I don't have any story for him

Wow this is very cool!

Excellent work, the treads look great.

2 things, NOT CRITS BTW...

1. I think the bot with the no head is spinning the wrong way based on the tread movement????

2. what's up with the nulls being so far off thier body parts?

Cool stuff, thanks for posting!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Wow this is very cool!

Excellent work, the treads look great.

2 things, NOT CRITS BTW...

1. I think the bot with the no head is spinning the wrong way based on the tread movement????

2. what's up with the nulls being so far off thier body parts?

Thanks Mike

1. Are u sure? I know that they aren't adjusted and syncronised to the ground.

2. It gave me a bit better overview, personal opinion :)

That is an awesome model with alot of character. The animation is great too. Is that a floppy disk on his chest?

Thanks. Yes, its a floppydisc, that was some last minute added "accessories" :P You can inspect the models a bit better on this image LINK

Very well done, you are leaps and bounds ahead. Modelling is my weak point, well maybe it because I dont like to model but it is easier in AM.

Can you share how you set up the track on you bot?

Go to my website and send me a email so we can talk about a couple things!!

Great little model and your rig seem to work well. Two Questions: Did you do the Wireframe to SHaded render in A;M or was that a composite? And why not just use the hands to move your arms, why use nulls?

Go to my website and send me a email so we can talk about a couple things!!
Have sent you a mail :)

Did you do the Wireframe to SHaded render in A;M or was that a composite?  And why not just use the hands to move your arms, why use nulls?
The wire to final is done in pinnacle studio. About the arms, good question, but I might not have a good answer for that :P I don't have to much experience in rigging, but I found that method working best (for me that is), I somehow feel like I get an better overview with nulls.

btw I've added an image that shows the armrig

johnny6armrig.JPG

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I think you're being fooled by the strobe effect. Here's an explanation I had laying around. I don't know who the author is, but it explains the effect pretty well:

Wheels appear to rotate backwards in movies because of 'strobe effect'. When filming, the camera actually takes a series of pictures. An example of how this works is as follows:

Imagine you have a spoked wheel rotating at 50 revolutions per second. If the camera is filming at a rate of 50 frames per second (taking 50 individual pictures each second) then the wheel would be in the same position every time the picture was taken. When viewing the film it would appear that the wheel was not moving. Now, slow the wheel down a little bit and it would be slightly behind the position it was in when the previous frame was shot. Now the wheel would appear as if it is rotating backwards because you are not viewing the continuous motion of the wheel, but rather the positions of the wheel every 1/50th of a second.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

I think you're being fooled by the strobe effect. Here's an explanation I had laying around. I don't know who the author is, but it explains the effect pretty well:

Wheels appear to rotate backwards in movies because of 'strobe effect'. When filming, the camera actually takes a series of pictures. An example of how this works is as follows:

Imagine you have a spoked wheel rotating at 50 revolutions per second. If the camera is filming at a rate of 50 frames per second (taking 50 individual pictures each second) then the wheel would be in the same position every time the picture was taken. When viewing the film it would appear that the wheel was not moving. Now, slow the wheel down a little bit and it would be slightly behind the position it was in when the previous frame was shot. Now the wheel would appear as if it is rotating backwards because you are not viewing the continuous motion of the wheel, but rather the positions of the wheel every 1/50th of a second.

That's probaby it!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Wow, love the belt'd wheels, how did you get it to stay slack? Pose? Action? Tell us your SECRET!

Thanks. I cant take full credit for the belts because they are built up by the same principle as the bikechain that someone on this forum created (I could not find the thread). Anyway here is an image with a simple explanation :P LOL, I'm bad at explanations....

belts.JPG

Thanks. I cant take full credit for the belts because they are built up by the same principle as the bikechain that someone on this forum created (I could not find the thread).

That was me. I am happy to find someone using that chain rig that I set up a while ago! Cool stuff. I never dreamed it would be used for robot treads. BTW I think that's a 19 tooth gear, the bigger one.

Wow, love the belt'd wheels, how did you get it to stay slack? Pose? Action? Tell us your SECRET!

It uses a path. In fact, you could make the slack part of the chain squirm and flop around just like slack chains do in real life when they're going around the sprockets like mad, or if the tank (or robot) is going over bumps.

Here's a link to the original post. Wireframes and project file is also located there. The chain is heavy duty #40 roller chain, but its certainly compatible with tank treads!

B)