Hash, Inc. Forums

My first organic model WIP

Mark, if you could find that T-Rex model, I'd sure appreciate getting a copy of it. Although I'm going to model mine totally from scratch, the reference model will surely help.

When it comes time to animate the Rex, should I also attempt that from scratch, or should I go the TSM2 route? What are everyone's thoughts?

I will keep progress posted as time permits. Keep the input coming.

Thanks

Nice start on your model :D I downloaded the trex a while back, so I do have it on my computer, but it is very big (18MB). I could if you want it upload it to my website for a sec for you to download, or I could split it in two and send it on e-mail (max 10mb attachment on the gmail :( )

Thanks! I found a site that had a really clear side view of a fossilized T-rex skull. I am using a Rotoscope of that skull for my model. The pic below shows two areas I'm not happy with.

I used a 3 point patch in the upper jaw to seal off ends and a messy looking mesh to seal off the bottom splines. How could this be done more elegantly and smooth - more so on the bottom splines.

Stian, the T-rex model you made available to me is also a great reference, thanks again and would you please give kudo's to the originator of the model.

prolem_areas.jpg

I used a 3 point patch in the upper jaw to seal off ends and a messy looking mesh to seal off the bottom splines.

LOL, I just got the same ugly 3pt patch on my baby dragon (on the lower jaw)! Did try an 5pt solution, but didn't look good that either.. errr, in other words, can't help you there... :P

dragonbabyjaw0.jpg

The top jaw just looks like you need to spread out the splines a bit. With the bottom jaw, just do what you did for the top jaw, don't have splines that just end to make a 4 point patch. Have them continue all the way around. Get it? If not, when I get back home I can show you a picture of what I mean. Cool. Hope that helps. By the way, thats an awesome model you've got going. Keep up the good work.

I'd try and position the legs in a standing position, you can use birds as reference for this really, osterich, emu etc will provide a similar position and show weight distribution. As for the body itself, Its not in the same league as the head! Just needs tweaking and maybe additional splinage here and there to bring it in line with the hed.

Well done though

Nixie

Chris,

that's exactly what I thought - pretty much everything you said. Had a lot more time invested in the head and will start tweaking the body this weekend. Same thing with the leg position - damn, should'a done it right the first time. Oh well, I'll take solance in the fact that it's my first try at this. When I looked at your avatar, I thought it would look really cool if your little guy was riding my T-rex cowboy style. Maybe, once Rex is done, you'll let me try a pose like that with him? Maybe make a short fantasy clip - we might both win a Hash contest at the same time with that - lol :D

That's very cool, looking forward to it.

Here is my second body attempt, but this time I used the awesome T-rex model that used to be on the free Hash models site as a rotoscope. I did not want to make a duplicate of that model, so I used the outline from that model and did my own thing from there.

Who did that first T-Rex? I would like to give credit to the modeler whenever I reference it.

Is it a little heavy on splines, like around the legs? Critique please.

2nd_bodyL.jpg

Here's a render after more tweaks to the body. I don't have really good reference material for the T-rex, so I am doing a lot of guessing. I was surprised to find out that much of what we think we know about the T-rex is just speculation and movie mis-information.

Scientists aren't sure if T-rex was a predator (goes after live prey) or a scavenger (only tries to get it's share of prey already killed one way or the other, ala vulture.) It is not known for sure if T-rex moved about upright as in the movies, or actually moved about with it's body in the horizontal using the tail for balance. The color and texture of the T-rex is pure speculation. It could have had thick hide like an elephant, or thinner skin like a lizard. It could have been brightly colored, even multicolored, or very monochromatic.

As I was modeling the small arms of the T-rex, I found that I needed a clearer picture of what I was modeling. Looking for a source, I found that there has been only one T-rex skeleton found with a complete arm. Again, much speculation about this small appendage. It was too short to reach the mouth, so it wasn't used to eat. Scientists are still not sure of the exact function of this misshapen arm.

Anyways, please let me know what you think. My personal quipps are as follows: Hips are still a bit too wide. I'm not happy with the look of the legs - bit too human like, and I'm still not happy with the way the small arms look....

dino0.jpg

Nice work Eric2575. It's nice to see that you have put time and effort on this T-Rex model and it really shows. It looks like T-Rex is balancing its toes. Maybe T-Rex's feet has bigger area touching ground if you understand what I mean.... but It looks good and hope you get this model finished...

Eric, really good job...

I'd really like to see more of the shape of the top of the neck continue down the back if that's decently possible/accurate. You're right, something about the legs seems a little off, to start with I think you need to turn them out at the legs, a bit like a chicken if you know what I mean (and no I don't believe the two are related, a good design is just a good design so similarity is to be expected), just a little really, nothing too drastic.

Here's a link with a pretty good idea for the arms too: http://www.answersingenesis.org/museum/doc...ws4-25-2000.asp

Buddy Davis really is one of the best in the business.

You're right too, most of what people think is known about the T-Rex (and other dino's and mammals for that matter) remains guesswork, and movies, including "documentaries" on the subject are filled with speculations that have little or no supporting basis, usually given as if they are verifiably known. A note about animating it though, probably don't have it running after a jeep or something silly like that, the latest analysis seems to indicate that the T-rex probably topped out at something like 12 mph, and would have knocked its brains out and died after a single fall were it in any haste (you've probably come across this already, just thought I'd mention it:-).

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions. I agree with all of them. Turning out the legs a bit is a great idea. Yes, he is balancing on the feet right now - gonna work on that too. Glad to have a better ref for the arm - thank you.

Gonna get to work and will update soon - maybe even tonight.

Here is a render of the reworked arms and a tweak on the legs for a better stance and ground contact.

I want to do a short animation with this guy, would someone be willing to take a look at the model and show me where I might have problems with creases, etc?

Thanks

dino00Web.jpg

Hey, you don't seem to realize that my T-rex is on steroids, that's why the big neck and arms - he's in training :lol:

I'll rework him a bit with your suggestions. Next comes the part I dread - bones and rigging. I have never done that before and it looks messy and difficult...argh :blink:

Ok, I knew this would be difficult. Over the last few days I searched the forum and read as many tuts as I could find on bones and rigging. If I had to rig a human figure, I would just take the AM rig out of Thom and transfer it. I could find nothing on bones and rigs for a creature like the T-rex.

I really don't want to do this from scratch because it seems like something very advanced for someone who hasn't done anything with bones, etc. Before you fly a jumbo jet, you have to learn to fly a Cessna.

Should I try and modify the Thom rig to work in the T-rex? What would you guys do? What steps did you take when you first started working with bones to animate? Please give me something I can work with.

Haven't had much time to work on Rex, but here is an update. Tweaked the shoulders down a bit, worked on the arms and hands and changed the eye socket slightly. I'm not sure I like the eye socket and will tweak that some more.

Put a bump map on him to rough up the skin and just shaded him to see some color - just a test. Will paint on his mesh next.

Looking at him, I think that the connection between the body and the legs needs to be pulled up a bit to create a more defined crease between belly and leg. The inside of the mouth also need lots more TLC.

Suggestions, comments?

2dino00M.jpg