Hash, Inc. Forums

Shoulder rig?

GusM

Does somebody know of a shoulder rig which allows the clavicle to rotate as a result of the bicep rotation?

When the arm is straigh down, the clavicle should rotate down some in Y, and when the arm is up the clavicle should also rotate some upward...

As far, my bicep is a child of the clavicle, so I am trying to avoid circular dependences.

Thank you in advance,

Gustavo Muñoz

You can modify the skeleton 2001 as I did.

i.e.

in Skeleton 2001 (with IK arms ON), The Right Bicep is set to Orient Like Right Bicep Orient.

You can use the same bone to orient the Right Shoulder. But to avoid a circularity problem, you have to remove the Right Arm Hinge from the Right Shoulder and parent it to the Chest indeed. (Circularity is when a bone is set to be Oriented like one of its children. You can't Orient the Right Shoulder to the Right Bicep Orient as long as it's its 'grandfather').

So once you un-parent the Hinge from the Shoulder, you can add constraint to the Shoulder->Orient Like Right Bicep Orient.

Then, there is the problem of the character not being able to shrug...

I created a simple solution for this. I use TWO bones for the shoulder: the Right Shoulder Orient, and the Right Shoulder, this one child of the other.

The Right Shoulder Orient is oriented to the Right Bicep Orient, thus obviously driving its child, the Right Shoulder. But this Right Shoulder is free to manipulate, and it's the real parent of Bicep, forearm, etc.

I posted this skeleton on this other thread.

I solved this problem with my rig.

In my experience though, the clavical doesn't have to move, but some other stuff does. I don't know what is going on in anatomical terms but my rig follows what happens to my shoulder pretty closely and you should be able to adapt it to your own enterpretation pretty easily.

The shoulder follows the bicep to a degree which is dependant on the angle of the bicep - so when the bicep is up, the sholder follows it more. When it is down, it follows it just a bit. This can be controlled precicely with a relationship curve.

The shoulder can shrug by translating the bone which is also used to rotate the arm and I have FK/IK blending.

It is pretty comprehensive and simple to control.

I would be glad to hear what you have to say on it on the apropriate thread here:

My rig thread

The most up-to date rig version is at the bottom of the first page.