Hash, Inc. Forums

Rigging trouble

cribbidaj

I have completed modeling a simple camel that I am having trouble rigging for animation. I have invested in the Anzovin CD-Rom tutorials and have invested numerous hours on cleaning up my initial rig with constraints and smart skinning. At this point I am spinning my wheels repeating the same processes (mistakes) over and over again. I am unable to figure out how to assign bones to control bones properly to get the desired effects and smart skinning continues to contort the model haphazardly. Can someone send me a link to an "idiot's" guide to rigging or would anyone be interested in being paid to rig my model for animation.

Camel_0.jpg

If you're willing to shell out $80, you can buy the Anzovin Setup Machine, which includes support for four-legged creatures.

http://www.rafhashvideotapes.com/setupmachine10.html

Alternatively, Andy Gibbons is giving away a free Cow model. You might be able to copy the rig from that.

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16762

Mike's suggestion to invest in the Setup Machine might be the best option at this stage Chris. Then at least you won't have to spend the next few months learning the art of rigging a quadraped before you can do what you wanted to do in the first place .... animate it!

Learning to rig is a long and at times confusing process, and starting with a four-legged creature will make it extra difficult. I'd suggest opening the library in AM and going to Models/Actors/Misc. In here you will find some models rigged with the Setup Machine rig. Of particular use might be the Centaur since it's a four-legged beast. You'd be able to play around with it and check out how user friendly you find the control rig.

Gerard

I actually did buy Anzovin's TSM, but the plug-in doesn't address constraints and smart-skinning, the two issues I'm stuck on. In fact, I feel I bought TSM pre-maturely, because I still don't understand what it saves in the rigging process except maybe the time it takes to add and name the bones. The CP assignment and relationship assignments are still left to the modeler (myself), and this is where rigging actually gets difficult. I'll look at the other link, but honestly, I'm ready to pay someone with rigging experience and know-how to rig my model. I'll look at the finished product and try to understand the relationship procedure from hindsight.

Thanks.

Actually... TSM creates the relationships and control rigs for you.

It saves a BIG chunk of time. You may not realize how MUCH time and work it saves... trust me... the part you are having trouble with... is easy compared to creating a really intuitive and easy to animate control rig. That is what TSM does.

But yes, you will need to assign the basic skeleton to the CPs... and smart skin... and/or fan bones.

At this point... there is no way to automate that process since it would be unique for each model. You could use the auto assign bones... that could save some time and effort and then you can fine tune it.

Smart skin and fan bones is kind of a... unique animal (forgive the pun) each model will require its own unique application... because each model is different. You as the artist will have to tweak those depending on the model.

The best way to learn it is to look at models already done, tear them appart... look at how they are assembled...

... just remember... you have to learn to walk before you run.

Instead of trying to rig the camel right off the bat... try rigging and smart skinning very small simple shapes... to get a feel for it. Apply what you learn to a larger project.

Keep plugging away... hopefully... it will make sense to you soon.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Thank you for all your suggestions! Vernon, your idea to start by rigging a simpler model seems prudent - I guess I've been so eager to get this camel animated I've overlooked the obvious solution to start more simply! I'll also try to dive into TSM again at some point. Thanks for your support and ideas.

Chris