Hash, Inc. Forums

New Character I'm working on

Heres the beginnings of a Demon model I'm working on for a client.

the Head will be radically different. It will be more based on a chaos beastman from Warhammer, but the body is just about there.

I'd like critiques to help me make it better. The info I got on the superhero thread was invaluable and I'm hoping for more of the same here.

Here is a link to a 360...

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/examples/Demon/DemonBody.htm

and here is a link to a pic with very very rough hair on the legs.. did I mention it was rough?

DemonHair.jpg

Any constructive input is greatly appreciated.

C

The hip area need some work it seem to even with the leg. If the back was bend forward like a huntch back probably give the look of a demon. And the texture kinda not make a feel of a demon, if the texture is not done I understand.

Maybe if it was pose how it will stand probably give more meaning on what it will look like. Hope that help a little bit.

looked at the model on the link..............

-Round the outer sides of the pecs, get rid of outer edge.

-Also pull the bicep back under the deltoid where they meet, tuck it under

- the tricep looks good

-Add a bit of size to the bottom of the forearm at its thickest point

-That lower back dent really hurts me, looks way too deep, that area is usually faily flat.

-Take his hooves to a good blackSmithe & get him some new shoes

;)

That is One Nasty texture on there, .........that's a Positive Comment!

Looking good Man!!!! :ph34r:

I assume the neck will widen when the new head arrives, but in the meantime, those hands are looking a bit slender compared to the meaty physique of the rest of the body.

The skin texture's nice, but it may make it hard to read facial expressions, depending on the proportions of the face.

Some of his parts look familiar. ;)

I agree with the above plus, his new head should be abit bigger than the one on him. I think a hunchback would be perfect to stop him toppling backwards on those legs too. Also, some definition on his belly would be cool....even if it's a beer belly. :D

Texture I assume is rough. Seems too proceedural as it is. Good start though.

Of course, I know you're a good enough artist not to be discouraged by the path toward the finished piece.

Oh...also the bottom bit of his legs seem too long. When he raises them, they'll stick out past his knees. I'd also like to see more definition in the back of the hooves. I think real hooves have a sort of indent at the back of them (the gap in the horse shoe bit).

Also, some bumps on his skin.

Edited by KenH

-Round the outer sides of the pecs, get rid of outer edge.

Not sure what you mean here are you saying loose the definition on the outside?

-Also pull the bicep back under the deltoid where they meet, tuck it under

Add more definition or lower the insertion point? Not sure which. I'll look at a muscle diagram and see if I can figure it out.

-Add a bit of size to the bottom of the forearm at its thickest point

Agreed.. I had this in mind already.. In fact i want to make his arms more hulk like with much bigger hands.

-That lower back dent really hurts me, looks way too deep, that area is usually faily flat.

also agreed.. I'll pull it out a little and also give him more of a hunch back.

Oh...also the bottom bit of his legs seem too long. When he raises them, they'll stick out past his knees. I'd also like to see more definition in the back of the hooves. I think real hooves have a sort of indent at the back of them (the gap in the horse shoe bit).

Also, some bumps on his skin.

I was actually thinking that the bottoms werent long enough.. or maybe the middle.. If you look at actual animal legs the length of the lower leg veries greatly.. however the top in most is also virtually one piece instead of the two I have here. For sure the bones operate the same, but the muslculature around them tends to smooth it out to one smooth ham shap.. and these parts tend to be farely locked in the gate. I thought about giving him this kind of hip but I thought the more stylized dynamic shape made him more animal like.

Agreed on the hooves.. I noticed that on render as well.

the texture will probably change to become a little less saturated and more even with more subtle veins. I'll use a combiner to blend a face texture that doesnt have the charred parts so that its more readable.

Thanks for the comments, and keep them coming.

C

It's great!

To me he generally looks swollen; but thts not a bad look for a demon - looks like he suffers eternal pain! and that skin texture is Nasty! Have you thought about making the final hair curly?

Regards - Nixie

My first thought is that he should be skinnier. He can still have muscle (even have lots of muscle), but have the muscle more toned and take a few pounds off his gut. IMO demons are much scarier/more intimidating when you have a gaunt body with muscles standing out from his bones.

I hope that made sense? You'd never guess english was my native language...

Another 360 with most of the suggested changes..

- Hunched back (though it probably needs more)

- Bigger hands and forearms

- I like the hair on the legs better (though that probably needs more work as well)

- Added the cleft to the hooves, but its not noticable with the hair.. it is there though ;-)

- Scaled the material down alot. I realised when I zoomed in for a quick render it was

about 400 percent to big on him. This one is closer to the actual scale for his skin.

Probably tweek it some more eventually.

http://www.colins-loft.net/free/examples/Demon/DemonHair.htm

Can anyone give me a clue as to what might be going on in the hair on his legs? All I can figure is that maybe the specular is causing the noise. Half of this spin is with the camera facing set at 0.. the other half I tweeked it to 2 percent thinking that might fix it without making the hair animate in a spin to the camera. No go :(

My first thought is that he should be skinnier. He can still have muscle (even have lots of muscle), but have the muscle more toned and take a few pounds off his gut. IMO demons are much scarier/more intimidating when you have a gaunt body with muscles standing out from his bones.

Not sure if I agree, but I respect the opinion. My thought is that when he gets his actual Demon head wich will be much more monstrous.. That will combine with his overall size to make him scary. I find skinny demons to look wimpy and unnatural (not that theres anything natural about demons ;-P

My thought is that Demons don't care about their looks, They exist for greed, glutony, evil, and general self centeredness. If thats the case, they'd probably more resemble a Sumo wrestler than a body builder. Now there is their supernatural metabilism to consider, as well. So I figured I'd go for something in the middle.

I'm hoping for more of a WCW wrestler than a Sumo wrestler, but we'll see how he develops.

Thanks for all the help so far. I find these critiques to be worth their weight in gold. Keep them coming.

C

great demon!... but his upper shoulders and neck seem very wimpy compared to the rest of his appropriately overmuscled body.

i'd think the classic 'neckless' look would be in order, with a large muscle mass ramping up from his shoulder joint to his ears.

you could be planning this once the new head is in place, while all the other critiques seem valid, this alone stands out to me..

-jon

I prefer the hair that doesn't have specularity - also would prefer it to go up higher on the body - (personal taste - I like my demons more modest :lol:, more classical minotaur). Not sure what's causing the scintillation - Are you sure you "combed" all guides? I sometimes found that I had to go back and tweak them, and would get rid of the flickiness. Dynamics are off/on?

Like the new hunch, looking forward to the big scary head. Good stuff as always...

On the legs...

Isn't the "3rd" section of the legs actually the feet? He walks on his toes... that would explain the variations in length in the animal world.

Thinking this way has helped me understand the construction of these types of legs a little better.

I am dealing with this right now with a couple of my Happy Bear characters... should Larry the Liger have... animal legs? Or will he have... "regular" legs and big feet... he could kind of... switch around if needed... like... suddenly he goes "animal" and pops up on his toes...

Can't wait to see a walk cycle on this demon...

Speaking of demons...

...My thought is that Demons don't care about their looks,  They exist for greed, glutony, evil, and general self centeredness...

Uh...

Then maybe he should be very skinny with glasses and pale skin from sitting in front of a computer writing viruses and trojan horses... and spam...

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Vernon "!" Zehr

Hey Colin!

Looking really rude, in a good way. I like the hulking out of the arms and hands. It adds much more power and massiveness. The profile on the torso seems to be missing something in that it looks too flat/square. The muscles on the tops of the shoulders/neck might look more interesting if they were puffed up. He does look like a seriously menacing monster. Excellent work!

Bill

This looks pretty sweet so far, Colin! Are ya gonna put horns in the head eventually? That'd be the final touch up to make the guy look lkike a real demon.

Also, maybe a short tail would be sweet too. I also suggest adding some bump to the skin texture. He needs to look like he's been in hell if he's a demon.