Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

HASH 3D CITY

I am going to rough out a city layout in illustrator just to get the ball rolling. No one has made any decisions yet so lets throw some ideas out there and see what we come up with.

I am going to use meters since it is a good rule of thumb and will accommodate windows and doors within one grid unit.

I am also going down to barnes and nobles to browse through that Batman Begins book because it had some great maps.

Google Earth is also a great piece of software since we can look at existing city layout for inspiration. It has 3d models of buildings in NY and some cities in California so it will help see the general layout.

You cant extract the buildings.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT-- nevermind I found another way to do it

Jin--

Thanks for the building tutorial, but there's a few things that I'm not clear on. Here's what I currently think I understand...

So in Flash (or any other program that can export .ai ) I will just draw the windows. The windows will be a rectangle with a line through it so that I can create the opening in A:M by deleting the center spline. After using the AI plug-in, I will delete the center spline in each window. Then in A:M I will create a box for the actual building and position it so that the windows stick out of it slightly. I would then apply a brick texture to the building. Then going back into Flash I will choose a fill color and fill in the windows, delete the stroke, and export this as a bmp (or other A:M readable image file). I will apply this as a transparency and reflectivity decal onto the building shape so that the "windows" look transparent and slightly reflective. Lastly I could add other details like a door, smoke stack, etc.

Is that correct? I got a little confused on how I add the windows to the box (rest of the building)... like whether they are seperate or actual connected to the "box".

Also, would I use the bevel features of the AI plug-in at all?

Sorry for the bother, and once again thanks for the help.

--Ross