Hash, Inc. Forums

Water Splashing

Just a mirror of the Water splashing thread on the main A:M forum, to allow me to post a QuickTime.

This is a really fast and crude demo, but the blue patches are just small 2x2 grids and the cyan objects are spheres with the tops & bottoms truncated (have to do that, otherwise SimCloth tells you it's unsolvable.) Obviously, the model & SimCloth parameters would have to be tweaked to allow the "drops" to deform more naturally, but it looks like the idea of using SimCloth to simulate water might just be doable after all.

Regards,

Sev

drops2.mov

I love the "death twitches" once they land on the platform! :o

I've noticed with dynamics that once an object stops, it often jitters like crazy.

There was a thread recently about a guy working in integrating a new dynamics engine into A:M. Does anyone know what the status is?

Sevenar,

I think while they fall realistically, they don't look like raindrops--plus I can imagine that it will be quite a chore to deal will many, compared to blobbies or streaks (both of which can bounce and slide down the object).

I used your project to make this streaks version. you should be able to see some of the streaks bouncing and sliding off of the object.

RAIN2.mov

Will: Yeah, I realize that the computations involved would make hundreds of individual SimCloth droplets unwieldy at best (nigh-impossible at worst.) Plus, they don't exhibit Blobby behavior like merging together, either.

Oh well. I was just trying to think "outside the box" with the SimCloth thing. Maybe someone with more experience could use the cloth effect for some other unusual application no one else has thought of yet.

The rain looked realistic, but the video was kind of dark on my PC, so I couldn't see any bounce or deflection of the streaks in your example. I'll take your word for it, though.

Regards,

Sev