Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Part of my scene not rendering

I created some water ala Chuck Babbage and wanted to place my submarine in the middle to simulate the sub on the surface. When I render the water by itself, it looks great. When I render the sub by itself, that also looks pretty cool. When I combine both in the chor, I get this: see attached.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I can't attach the file due to high cp count.

p.s. I just did a render again in case this was a fluke, but I got the same results. Multipass is off, fog is off, the scene is in camera view, targa sequence is on, and the render takes about an hour - certainly long enough to also render the missing sub. Oh yeah, resolution is set very high at 1920 x 1200 so I can put the finished pic on my 23" monitor - if I ever get a pic out of this.

p.s.p.s. Just did another render, this time in vga with same results.

test0.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The left pic is a quick render with the sub above the water - the right pic is the same scene with a render to file. I have no clue why the render to file is not working.

Sorry guys, I did not update the page and did not see your posts. Yes, the ground plane is deleted from the chor. The chor is composed of the Babbage water plane, which seems to render fine mostly, the camera, key and fill light, rim, the sub model, and another light that is supposed to simulate the sun reflecting off the water.

As you can see in the attached pic, quick render shows both the water plane and the sub, but when I render to file, I get either the garbage in the pic above, or the latest version of pretty much nothing as seen in the right panel below.

compare.jpg

I'd advise you to try eliminate things to see what's causing it. Try substituting the sub with a sphere and see what happens. If it's still bad, try deleting the movie decal of the water and see if that resolves it. Once you narrow it down, you can send a simple version to AM:Reports.

V.11.1

I shut down the computer and restarted everything. Took out the sub and rendered to file the water; below is the result.

Now the water doesn't look as dark as it did nefore and the background lightened up too. As I am writing this, I am rendering the water again, but this time I added a basketball. I'll post that as soon as it's done.

water0.jpg

I tried another render with the sub and got the same artifacts. Notice the water is dark again??? And yes, I am not changing anything but the models in the same scene.

Will try a render from the top.

The render from the top is also very strange - the orientation from the view in the chor has changed from the model's diagonal position to a vertical position and zoomed in very close. This is really weird.

From left to right, the pic shows the render to file with the sub, the chor as seen in AM top down, and a render from the top down.

compare.jpg

Take a look at this render to file on the right - the sub is scaled way up in size compared to the water grid. The smaller pane on the left shows the top view in the chor that I rendered to file. Nothing was changed, yet the rendered results are way out of whack.

subTopA.jpg

• Hash Fellow

How odd!

Next try progressively deleting chunks of the sub model until the problem disappears.

Or try copying the geometry of the sub into a new model, swap it, and see if the problem is still there.

Problem solved!!

I am somewhat embarrassed that I haven't noticed this before, but I dropped the sub model into the animation at frame zero at it's normal size - the enlarged size you see in the pics - then I reduced the sub's size and moved it around. While doing the moving and resizing, I somehow changed the timeline. If I would have rendered a TGA at the last time increment recorded, in this case 4:34 it would have come out great. Well, I kept recording to file at frame zero, the frame that I dropped the model into the chor at it's normal size. That is why I kept getting the artifacts, because I was rendering the sub way too close to the camera.

Thanks all for your input and patience with me, hope this may help someone as dumb as me in the future :huh:

Nautilus_above_water0.jpg