Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Gras and Hair

Hi Spliners,

here you can find a short video - sequence ... in this sequence I'd tested the Hair - Forces. becurse of this, the gras is moving a bit to strange but it shows clearly my problem ...

The whole mass of gras is moving in the same rhythm ...

Is there a way to put a turbulence to the force or control the Mass with an Image like black has a mass of 1 and white a mass of 0.1?

Or are there some other ideas of creating some turbulence in the grass?

CU Maszie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right click on the force object and add your choice of turbulence.

With Hair you can not simply use a force - object. Hair - force is animated by the Dynamic options and there is no way to include any turbulence or better to say, I haven't found any way to do this with an force object...

I thought about a Material with a Turb and both attributes changed to Hair - System ... but there is also no way to get the Hair in it ...

Now I'm thinking about an black n white Decal ... the white of the Decal one Hair system and the black of the Decal the second Hair system ... but I haven't found a way to do this ...

CU Maszie

Hair and forces is something that I have played with from time to time but have not mastered it by any means. Here is an example of a Fan force directed onto dynamic hair. The hair is pretty much left at the default settings except that dynamics are turned ON and the Targeting is changed to Spring.

Not the clearest of examples. :)

EDIT: I missed your example before posting here and I can see that you are at least as far as I am with regard to understanding the properties of hair and forces so just ignore these posts. I will leave them as another example of my ignorance. :D

Here are some screen grabs of the settings:

I just want to add that I have not been able to produce grass that springs back into it's original position once the force has passed. My grass just keeps on acting like it's blowing in the wind, even after 30 seconds. It would be nice if we could get a bit more control on hair so that we could predict the sort of results that we are likely to get by mastering the properties.

Maszie, your grass seems to have a nice spring to it. Do you care to share your settings? :)

This back to original - position - problem can be solved with the "Angle Limit" ... increase and decrease the Limit between 5% and 70% and you will see, what I mean ... Which A:M - Version you are using? I'm using 11.1i ...

At the moment I'm still at work, but the tips with the force are really god! Thanks! :-)

CU Maszie

Nice grass, Phillip.

I am just trying to get grass that will behave in a predictable manner.

This example shows grass that returns to something close to it's original position but I still can't get it to come to rest. For this I set the Dynamic Options for the Hair System to (Mass=0.1, Drag=5% and Angle Limit=20%).

(Sorenson3, 454Kb, 5 seconds) Because of all the movement the heavy compression has resulted in a loss of much detail. <_<