Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

rigging a book

sbk

Does anyone have any ideas for rigging a book with turning pages? I'm thinking I do an empty cover with a bone on each cover and spine then pages with a bone that is in the same place and parented to the spine bone. First I need a photo album, then a storybook. The album's pages could stay quite stiff, but maybe some more bone chains with dynamic constraints might make the storybook pages look "floppier?" (more like paper). The photo album is for my current project, the storybook may be for something else.

If I design the album first and then the storybook, the person who wants it wants pages to rip out and fly away (gasp!) so I thought I could keep the pages in the book with constraints then turn them off and "tear them out" maybe (?) using either dynamic constraints or cloth to make them flutter away? The person who wants the storybook is very 2D though, so I may have to draw it. I think 3D might be better, especially with some nice textures.

Am I on the right track? I'll try the album first and post a blank one to free models if it looks nice. Please send me a thread or advice. I may make some storybooks for me too. I need an attic full of stuff, and I have some great Victorian magazine and book covers in minature from dolls house modeling. I will happily share whatever I do as long as it works.

Seana

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made this attached book with pose sliders simply because it was just convenient for what I needed it for. Also, I didn't need any real closeups, so the decaling leaves a lot to be desired. I attached the mdl file, but I never understand whether all the decal images are included. If not, let me know and maybe I can zip it up in a project.

Hope it helps.

SampleBook.mdl

Thanks! The decals didn't transfer, but I could see the movements easily enough. I think if you want to have your decals go with you have to "consolidate" the project file (which doesn't seem to work in Mac...) or "embed all"

gives me some good ideas. My photo album pages are thicker, and there are more of them, but I'll see what it looks like when I finish rigging. Your system is another option.

best,

Seana