Hash, Inc. Forums

Animation WIP

I was just wondering if I could get some constructive criticism on something I'm working on.

The link is here (2.5MB)

Oh, and if you're from any of the States mentioned and have a better idea for pictures to go on the projector, let me know that, too. I'm going for a sort of inside joke/stereotype thing. For example, for Michigan there's a hand, because we Michiganians will quite often point to a place on the right hand when asked where we're from (unless one is a Yooper).

So, yeah. Looking forward to comments.

Hi age234,

Over all I like it and found it funny.

Your KeyKat motion is good, seems very fluid. I didn't know that about Michiganians (good tip)

I don't know how much you can improve, what do you want to do with it?

Perhaps add a crowd in the foreground (bobbing heads or something)

I'm actually working on it to put on my demo reel. I'm a student at Full Sail and the final projects/demo reel class is coming up.

As an aside, I have to say that I like using A:M quite a bit more than Maya. Sure, the modeling tools are nice and the renderer is great, but A:M is a lot nicer of an experience. The non-linear way it works--like the separate ACT files. And to me, modeling, rigging, and scene setup in the same window doesn't make sense. So kudos to the Hash team for being ahead of the curve.

You can use 2 hands for michigan with the top hand turn sideway, and the thumb downward bridging, well the makinaw island brigde and the top pinky raise to seperate Marquette and Bessemer. The tip of the index finger on the left hand over the right hand is Sault St Marie.

Being a michigander, hasn't anyone told you how to make a Upper?

That was GREAT!

Was EVERYTHING done in AM? The slide show aspect with the spot light and the shifting images... was... so... real. The camera motion was dead on... in my humble opinion.

The only critique I have would be Kit Kat... his jump at the end seemed... floaty?

Is that the proper use of the term? He seemed to not obey physics properly. Some of his motion overall could use some tweaks... but I was watching the hysterical images on the screen...

I loved the white house upside down... perfect.

You need to exaggerate the "scream" at the end... really just... have him go completely nuts. Maybe his eyes could bug out for like... 2 frames... his tail could go straight and.... well you get the idea.

One more thing... if the pointing to the hand is the image... maybe have a finger pointing to the hand... if it was there and I missed it I apologize... I watched it several times... but that was a couple of hours ago. I don't recall a finger pointing to the hand... just the hand.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Tahnks for the pointers, everyone.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone really do the UP. But thanks for the tip.

Yeah, the hands do need a little work. And I agree, the scream and ending is floaty. Good idea about the bug eyes and all.

The slide show was done in Final Cut Express, then projected as a light rotoscope.

I'll post again when I get those changes made.

Here is snappy...

Why do I call the first bad motion and the second good?

The second shows more enthusiam in the motion, and shows much more life. The first shows linear motion because of lack of peak points, or main points in motion. with the snappy motion, you get the picture that the arm is waving in different directions, rather than all around. If you watch preachers or speakers with that much power, you'll notice their movements are snappy. They aren't moving their arms around like a composer directing a slow symphany.

How did I achieve the snappy look? I added halts in the arm movements at each angle. I added emphasis to each peak point. I didn't, however take the life out of the arms. They still are moving very little at each peak point. (this is called a moving hold)

I'm sorry for being harsh after a cascade of positive critiques, but if this is going to be in a demo reel, it must look pro, and that's why I'm getting straight to the point

good_motion.mov

robcat,

I was not intending to give a lesson on giving the cartoony snappy look. I was giving a simple example of snappy and linear. I was not intending to show him "cartoony". I understand the animation is still not good, but it is better than the first one I posted, and that's the point I wanted to get across.

• Hash Fellow

All-in-all I thought it was an amusing clip. I had never actually heard the Howard Dean speech before, i had only read about it.

I suppose there are many things you might tweak about the animation, but 22 seconds is really alot of animation. Quite an ambitous piece.

The "snap" the Keith Lango talks about has alot to do with "overlapping motion", an important element of all animation, cartoony or not. I see hints of it in your animation, but other times I see the hand and arm moving as a single unit which looks stiff. That would be the first thing you might investigate if you want to tweak this further.

Funny Piece!