Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

SHINY THINGS

:P

This is what i mentiond in the metaball pyramid topic.

Quite simple setup, shiny, reflective, translucent, refractive ball. cube, with reflectivity set to 100%

10 levels of relfection

Ben

PS. I forgot to delete the ground in the chor, rendered with radiosity . . . 14 hrs i think.

abstract20.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite simple setup, shiny, reflective, translucent, refractive ball. cube, with reflectivity set to 100%

10 levels of relfection

Ben

PS. I forgot to delete the ground in the chor, rendered with radiosity . . . 14 hrs i think.

Holy crap...I gotta learn about radiosity..that's awesome

it's my wallpaper now

:huh: Yves, when you said "I just wanted to mention that you really don't need radiosity for that sort of render". It got me thinking, when do you want to use radiosity? Are there some "key" factors that would benefit from radiosity? Thanks for any input. :)

There is no clear cut rules. Deciding when to use radiosity and when not to, requires a lot of knowledge about light behavior. This knowledge cannot be communicated through a simple answer. I invite you to visit the Radiosity forum. Inparticular the Lighting tutorial and the Cornel box tutorial. With that knowledge, you should be in a better position to decide to use radiosity or not.

Radiosity is not a magic wand that is sure to make your render look right. It is more like a tool that can do marvels in the hand of one who knows exactly what to expect from it. If you don't understand the technical implication of using radiosity, chances are you are not using it right, it will not improve the render quality and will considerably lengthen your render time for nothing.

:) Thanks for the reply, I visited the radiosity forum earlier this morning and printed all the threads for later reading (and downloaded the attachments). The volume of actual "how to" info on radiosity alone, there could probably make a booklet the size of Art of Animation Master. Yikes, give me my old super 8 and some platicine clay back - I think this is going to be some serious work. :D

• 2 weeks later...

10 levels of relfection

Ben

Nice image Ben.

I'd like to see it without radiosity (I dig the B/W look of it by the way, very industrial), and see what your render times/quality would be like.

So I'm guessing the odd artifacts at the bottom of the image are the floor you're speaking of?

Otherwise, the tiled floor in there is perfect for the composition.

Again, nice job. Kinda reminds me of the old ray-trace demo Amiga did in the old, old, old days.

Greg