Hash, Inc. Forums

NightRendering

Mike would you share a bit of info on how you created your buildings?

Hey G.Well, it's pretty easy to do. I went into photoshop.

Made a white image. Then blocked in(just draw blocks) black buildings.

Then I copied, created an alpha channel and pasted the image into it, then inverted the colors, so A:M would make the non building area's transparent.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Then I copied, created an alpha channel and pasted the image into it, then inverted the colors, so A:M would make the non building area's transparent.

Thanks Mike, I'll have to keep at it ... I tried to upload my Photoshop file for you to look at, but it's a bit large ...

Thanks Mike, I'll have to keep at it ... I tried to upload my Photoshop file for you to look at, but it's a bit large ...

No dude, don't do that!!!

Let me start by asking if you know the steps to create an alpha channel in photoshop?

Two conventions that really help sell a night shot are bluish lighting (which you have) and sharp contrasts. Check out the night shots in Prince of Egypt.

Revelation.jpg

burningbush.jpeg

They're not really dark images at all but they do have those two factors that makes you immediately think 'night time.' Our eyes adjust to limited light a lot better than real or CG cameras do so you have to kind of mimic that.

When I did my Crow image, I only used a little blue for the bounce light and used an extremely hot streetlight-type light for the contrast. I did something between these two for the ill-fated Noz & Schrak (nee Grakk). Don't be afraid to crank the intensity of your rim light(s) up well past 100%.

I just realized when I looked for that image on my site that almost all of the stuff I've worked on have been at night or have a primarily dark pallette. Never noticed that before. Maybe it's because I have a dark soul. :ph34r: