Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Something different

I was playing around in AM saturday night and just got an inkling to make this just to see how close I could model a realistic one and a couple of hours later I had this. In AM it's a breeze. I'll be getting his eye's and dentures in soon and decaling. I have a little bit of smoothing to do yet I figure it'll be fairly easy to rig. Any body got any tips on how to create "murky" water.

34White_pointer0.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Scott,

That's a pretty cool looking shark. I like him.

I think the teeth will determine if he is a happy shark or if he just wants to eat us. :blink:

Joseph,

I don't recall seeing your shark before.

Thanks for the link. That one got away from me.

Rodney

try volumetric lighting for murky water

i used it with my goldfish long ago

Yeah, that is what I was looking for. I want to have him "fade" in from an inside a cage point of view as he approaches it and I think that will do it. Thanks for the comments everybody! I mostly extruded to form the body and the fins were done the same as you would do legs on a terrestrial animal by creating a hole and extruding then closing the end's or tip's. The teeth will be a patch with a cookie cut decal so I can copy/paste to create the layers of replacement teeth. A bump will make the gills. And a color map for the final body pigments. A fairly easy and fun project.

dan dan dan dan dan dan dan dan DA!! da! DA!! da!

IIIIIH!!! A SHARK!!

nice model, few splines, but what's that... "line" on the side of his belly? I don't know much about sharks, but is that s'pose to be there?

Also: Is a shark usually that happy? :P

dan dan dan dan dan dan dan dan DA!! da! DA!! da!

IIIIIH!!! A SHARK!!

nice model, few splines, but what's that... "line" on the side of his belly? I don't know much about sharks, but is that s'pose to be there?

Also: Is a shark usually that happy? :P

Nice music Joakim. I thought you might say something about it's belly:) Actually I think you mean the "creased" area about halfway between the top and bottom in the gray color. That is the Lateral Line found on all fish. Sort of a sensor array if you will where they pick up vibrations and smells etc. Sharks also have extensive sensory organs in thier nose or snout as well. I'm posting my reference pic to show the LL.(I borrowed it from a website and hope I am not breaking any copyright laws by posting it. All credit for the pic belong's to Steven Brunson) If you mean the second set of fins towards the rear, that's the ventral fin and still need's to be tweaked a bit. The mouth will be tweaked a bit once I get the denture work done but great whites do have a kind of sinister smile on thier faces.

GWS45.jpg

Looking Good! ;) And your going to give it to us for free? I am going to have to come up with a gift idea myself...

Yeah! I got thinking about some recent topic's and to be honest...people here are very helpful and alot of the stuff I do (so far modelling) is partially the result of the "Free" help I have had access to on this forum not to mention inspiration. Before I came here I could only imagine how the textures got applied to a model but when you look around and see other people demonstrating how to do it suddenly it's "easy" and your skill's improve. I've reverse engineered a few freebies myself. It'll be neat to see what people do with it and also a way to give something back for anybody who might be interested in using it. I can just see Thom swimming along and then the music intensifies and........ After I build it it'll probably sit on my harddrive wishing it were swimming through murky water's eating any model it can find with flailing appendages. For me the enjoyment comes from building it and although I am slowly getting into rigging and animating when I finish the building process I'm already thinking "I want to build this next" or "back to one of the other 5 models I am working on" So yeah this one is no strings free when it's done. Sides it'll be a good primitive for making other species. It wouldn't take much modification to turn it into a hammerhead or mako.

Here's some chor render's. I'm starting to rig him now but anyone who uses it may want to upgrade or replace the rig as I am not an accomplished rigger. It is a basic rig say like an arm with the tail being the shoulder and the snout being the hand and the jaws being a couple of bones parented by the hand. no constraints or smartskin. Still gotta pop some eye's in it.

1ST_CHOR0.jpg

Scott,

I could rig it for you gladly if you are willing to donate the model

Let me tweak it a bit more and get the decals on it and I'll post it this week-end. I'll leave the current rig in place (feel free to delete it) and get my groups cleaned up so that assigning cp's will be easier. I have it set up so you can hide the various part's. Mainly the body is seperate from the jaw's to allow for a cleaner view of them while assigning. I found that selecting the jaw's in modelling mode and hitting the H key then switching to bones mode eliminates the confusion as the upper and lower jaws on a real shark move independant of the body in a bite so they can take bigger chunks out of prey. The external mouth opening doesn't "clamp" down as much as the actual internal jaw's. I guess the best way to describe it would be like having a percentage constraint on a bone B to orient like it's parent bone A which is parallel to it =

man that turned out better than i ever thought it would!!!

and he still smiling!!! i love it!

Thanks Jason. Two years ago this mesh would most likely have been so dense it would have made a good net. One of the things I "try" to do as we all do is get the most shape from the least splines. It should look much better once I have it decalled.

wait thats not even decaled! man i must be doing something wrong lol. my models are nowhere near that good before textureing, even some of them afterwards are not that good lol, but im still learning

wait thats not even decaled! man i must be doing something wrong lol.

It takes time and practice, you can select groups and give them a color in the properties but from what I've seen of your space hardware you already know that. this is a much simpler shape so it's easier to do. I tried to lay out my splines so that I could use the diffuse color's(in this case with only a color and no specularity etc.) as my guide.When I do my screenshot of the flattened mesh in shaded wireframe view I'll know basically where to transition from dark to light. (I use Jim's technique from his vid tut's as I don't have the UV editor figured out yet even with the tut's I've studied) I haven't seen any vid's which would make it easier:( It's the stamping on a patch and replacing the low res image with the higher res one in the PWS that I don't get. But Jim's tut's are still a great way to decal and I'm comfortable using it so that's what I do.

Heres the current state of the model. Tried adding some scratches with the bump but still need to work on that (the scratch below the nostril looks like a second nostril). There is some funniness with the decals as the fins are a different shade than the body. The body and fin map's are matched for color but in the render the look to be different. Might just be the lighting but I'll be refining it still more and post the updated version later.

FINAL0.jpg

Here's the model in the last post. I burned the zip to disk and put it into my internet machine and it opens fine. You'll have to direct AM to the decal folder for a couple of the decals but they are all there. Hope everybody who want's it enjoy's it!

Pointer2.zip

Glad you guy's like it. I'm bumping up the resolution on the decals and tweaking the jaw's a bit. I want to give him some battle scars. My original bump was too small and the scratches became dimples and the color is too pixellated at close range.I'll post it in a few days. Thanks!