Hash, Inc. Forums

NEW COMMERCIAL

mike meyer

hello hashers,

we've just finished the summer commercial for SATURN.

check it out...

a short description: Finally! The Smith family is longing for relaxation and out for holiday adventures in the "GEILLORCA" bargain oasis. One thing's for sure - their neighbours will be envious...

GEILORCA_00116.jpg

greetings,

mike and jo and the crew

You continue to make amazing work!!!

GREAT!!!

(should I put some more exclamation points ? ... just in case... !!!!!!!!!!!)

Great work, I am not reffering only to this movie. Soulcage department, you really really really do wonders...

Congrats!

Drvarceto

Hey that was great.

What I would love to see (and probably many others) is a DVD of all your work with some production sequences/notes/footage/samples etc on actually putting a project together from initial pitch to final delivery. Most of us have no idea (well I have no idea) - I'd fork out $50US for one (in english or at least with english sub titles) :D

Cheers

well thanks again.

Excellent!

Can you show us some "behind the scenes" pictures?  Wireframes, characters, etc.

As always, you do some amazing work!

we don't have wires, but some character sheets and turns. the sheet isn't final, but i guess you'll find the differences - odd one out!

family-04_kl.jpg

the turns are a little rough in the compositing, cause we did them just to show the models, not the final look.

the turn of the mother is missing though, cause the scedule was too tight to finish it.

TURN - DAD

TURN - SON

TURN - DAUGHTER

TURN - BEAUTY

say hello to them...

how about some stuff on how you built the store.... if you can:)

sure.

is there something special you want to know?

cuz... there isn't something special about it.

we just bulid elements and put them together in a chor.

we lighted the floor and the celing seperately.

we animated loops with stride length for the customers.

that's it.

• Admin

No boring 3D turnarounds for Soulcage! Those look great and really convey the characters personalities.

There is a reason you guys rock... you really have talent and know what you are doing. Great design, production and final execution.

Saturn is lucky to have you animating their commericials.

Keep the edge guys! Great stuff.

I'm still new to this so sorry if my response and question is a little vague but was wondering as far as rendering: the quality seems to have a greater look then what I've seen most do! (basically it looks really great) what did you guys do to achieve it.

and the background in the picture that mike summitted (with what looks like to be mountains and a plane and clouds) are they 3d elements or painted pictures our photographs.

I'm still new to this so sorry if my response and question is a little vague but was wondering as far as rendering: the quality seems to have a greater look then what I've seen most do! (basically it looks really great) what did you guys do to achieve it.

hi selahpoetic,

jo b. explained our preferred rendering method some while ago and you can read it here

also check out the a:m resource matrix: rob allen wrote an interesting tutorial about multipass compositing

best,

mike

Elm, from SoulCage, is currently touring the West coast of the U.S., and he stopped by the Hash office! We took him on a tour of the Columbia Gorge then out for local beer before he headed on.

What a cool guy.

What makes this so amazing is that we didn't know he was coming, and when he walked upstairs unannounced and said "Hi," we were all watching this commercial on the forum for the 1st time!

hi selahpoetic,

jo b. explained our preferred rendering method some while ago and you can read it here

The error returned was:

You do not have permission to view this topic

dangit ;) , any mod wanna maybe copy that thread into a non fellows only location?

pretty please?

Wonderful work soulcage guys, You got some really really nice hair in this.

ok. this explains how we work.

the images are from "I'm walking" but it's the same way of setting up the characters and props.

First the Flat Pass / Ambience 100.

This is quite easy to setup and renders fast.

Start_flat.jpg

Second a Dome Pass for simulating environment light. we mostly use the poissant domes with kliegs and z-buffered shadows.

We don't need any color maps, but we need bump maps and we need transperency maps. Every group needs to be white. No Specularity turned on.

Start_dome.jpg

Third a Sun/Key light Pass, with the same setup as the dome pass.

Start_sun.jpg

Fourth a spec pass. No color maps, but bump- and transperency- as well as specularity maps. (Specularity turned on). Quite easy to setup with spec on diffuse off at the light/s. But ambience of every group needs to be at 0%.

Start_glanz.jpg

Fifth an effects pass for the Dust.

Now everything has to be black and camera ambience needs to be at 100%, like the flat pass. We also need and transperency maps here. No lights needed.

Start_dust.jpg

You can't expect any software package (EVEN not A:M) to render out the images with your desired look. It's always the postproduction and compositing where you combine your elements to give your project the final glance.

Greetz, Jo and the rest of the Department.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Here's a picture of my visit at Hash Inc. It was a fantastic day, just like my whole west coast journey. Thanks again for showing us around, for the icecream, the beers we had, the tee shirts, the tattoos, .. . everything!

See ya!

Elm.

Elm_Bei_Hash_Sml.jpg:ph34r:

Jo B. GREAT STUFF!!!

Can you elaborate on the compositing method for 'how you do it'... do you just overlay everything and mix levels and use various compositing modes? Are there any alphas involved?

I've been trying to get my stuff in 1 pass 'out of the box' and need to learn your approach.

LOVE the 'Beauty' girl!

That picture of you and the Hash gang looked like the poster for 'The Usual Suspects' movie. Thanks for sharing!

do you just overlay everything and mix levels and use various compositing modes? Are there any alphas involved?

Yes - that's how we do it. Of course we use the alpha channel. The layer modes during composing always vary, so it's kind of experimenting and exploring each time.

greetings, Elm.

A few more questions about your approach to compositing (the discussion on rendering in the main forum got me thinking about this). How do you guys handle motion blur with all these different passes? Is each pass rendered with motion blur? Or are only certain passes rendered with motion blur (or do you somehow do your motion blur outside of AM)? Also, do you guys render with the alpha-buffer or do you use multi-pass? Thanks ... Again, fantastic work.

Kevin

We don't render out any pass with motion blur. For at least two reasons:

1. The only acceptable moblur result in A:M can be achieved with multipass adjustments ( minimum 16 passes ). This would take too long, considering the many passes we render out.

2. We like to have control of the moblur amount during post production. There's lots of tweaking needed to get the right results.

That's why we use Reelsmart motionblur in After Effects during Composing.

Thanks, Elm.

:ph34r:

OK JoBub...Elmer...

I'm stuck!

I'm trying to do what you are showing above...I have a character in my chor with a default light setup and I am trying to get the flat shaded 100% ambient-look you get in your first image... I try adjusting the ambiance for the character in the chor to 100 %...try setting it on the model itself under 'objects' I do not get the flat-shaded result, I do not get anything different at all...

Do I need to go thru each group in the model (there's a lot) and make the setting change?

Do I have to use the skylight/poissant lighting method?

Global illumination is radiosity? I don't think you want that, the way to fake GI is with John Hendersons Skycast ( http://www.artboxanimation.com/ ) But here the soulcage guys use yves skyrigs which do a similar thing. Your trying to get a flat shaded pass yes? i tried just now - click the model in pws - in properties go to options and choose flat shaded. youd have to do this for every model in a scene unless you can change a choriographys properties?

Is that right?