Hash, Inc. Forums

Bot jump...more animation

I like this last one... with a variable light projected through fog (I can't remember what you call that) so the beam is visible... It would look even cooler!

Chas

light beam is slightly visible in first few frames... do I see motion blur in the same frames? maybe some (more?) motion blur in the initial launch, slowing (diminishing) as he reaches the peak of the arc.. blur re-appearing as he "springs" forwad as/after landing.

I'm getting too picky... I still like him.

I like this last one... with a variable light projected through fog (I can't remember what you call that) so the beam is visible... It would look even cooler!

Chas

light beam is slightly visible in first few frames... do I see motion blur in the same frames? maybe some (more?) motion blur in the initial launch, slowing (diminishing) as he reaches the peak of the arc.. blur re-appearing as he "springs" forwad as/after landing.

I'm getting too picky... I still like him.

uh, this is a test for animation, not for an actual clip. I dont' care about lighting right now. and motion blur isn't used.

• Hash Fellow

V4 is quite improved over V2. :)

A few things to make it even better:

-The last pose with the feet still on the ground should be a straight leg pose.

-a jumping character has to travel in an arc. (technically a parabola) Right now he's flying straight up to the apex then straight down to the landing.

- you are correct that his vertical travel will decelerate on the way up and accelerate on the way down, however, his forward velocity can't decelerate and accelerate while he's on that ballistic path (unless he's somehow altering his path with some unseen rockets, which doesn't seem to be the case here.) His forward velocity will remain constant over a brief jump like this. You can actually fix both the arc and velocity issues in the curve editor without adding new keys.

-as in the take off, the first frame where he contacts the ground for landing should be a straight leg pose. Have the back leg hit first, as Mr Jage suggests, then bend to allow the front one to hit (also straight). The timing of your landing follow thru is working well.

-Are those middle legs really "arms"? Have them trail in the air as he's falling and you'll have an opportunity for even more follow thru action when he lands.

Keep tuning this one. This would be a good shot for your "demo" reel when Oz starts looking for animators.

IV4 is quite improved over V2. :)

A few things to make it even better:

-The last pose with the feet still on the ground should be a straight leg pose.

-a jumping character has to travel in an arc. (technically a parabola) Right now he's flying straight up to the apex then straight down to the landing.

- you are correct that his vertical travel will decelerate on the way up and accelerate on the way down, however, his forward velocity can't decelerate and accelerate while he's on that ballistic path (unless he's somehow altering his path with some unseen rockets, which doesn't seem to be the case here.) His forward velocity will remain constant over a brief jump like this. You can actually fix both the arc and velocity issues in the curve editor without adding new keys.

-as in the take off, the first frame where he contacts the ground for landing should be a straight leg pose. Have the back leg hit first, as Mr Jage suggests, then bend to allow the front one to hit (also straight). The timing of your landing follow thru is working well.

-Are those middle legs really "arms"? Have them trail in the air as he's falling and you'll have an opportunity for even more follow thru action when he lands.

Keep tuning this one. This would be a good shot for your "demo" reel when Oz starts looking for animators.

Hmm...

-in this pass I made the last pose back to the natural one

-he is traveling in an arc

-when did I ever say anything about deceleration in the air?

-I fixed the contact point..it's tough to see, but I did

-the middle legs aren't arms...they're other legs

In this pass, I also added a bit of squash and stretch in the eyeball..

bot_jump_pass6.mov

Now take a look at your horizontal movement axis (probably the x-axis). This should only need two key frames. The starting location and the landing location and should almost be linear. His horizontal velocity should be constant. If you look closely the robot, just before the landing, seems to stop moving from left to right.

Your z-axiz should really require limited keys. On the z there should be one at take-off, one at the peak and one at the impact point. Points before take-off and after landing show follow through motion. You have about 4 or 5 keys in there. If you delete some of them leaving the one for your take off point, one for the peak and one for the landing, you can then use the bias of the peak point to control his vertical acceleration and deceleration.

Looks good so far.

Scott

• Hash Fellow

It's getting closer, but if we frame thru it we see that he actually jumps backward, then reverses direction to fly forward and then reverses direction again to move backwards into the landing. Not possible in a free jump. A parabolic trajectory will never change direction like that.

From the moment he leaves the ground until he contacts it, his forward progress has to be rock steady. That would be the progress of his center of gravity. We could debate about exactly where his is, but I'm judging it to be about at his hips.

Great job! I always like to visit the wip section and see things develop. I'm not sure on the squash & stretch on the eyeball though, it looks a little cartoony. Although if you really want to go for that its fine, just an observation. I know you're done editing it but i just cant resist commenting.

Don't stop now. Not when you've almost got it.

Rob,

I've decided to move on to some other excersises....if I've had 7 passes I think that's enough to pass as an animation. I tried to animate a hop and that's the reason for the lack of a very curved arc, although there is some shape. If I created a jump, the anticipation would come back and he would jump forward in a nice arc...you can see from the anticipation that it's clearly not to be a long jump...just a high hop